Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mark twain quote

Sean Gaines

Twain had a lot of good quotes, and many of them can be applied to our sport(s):

"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."

Brian Enos and the straight thumbs grip, the optically sighted Bianchi revolver, the Bianchi barricade technique, etc.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."

To improve, read the ideas of those who came before. Bruce Lee, Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals, watch DVDs, then take it all in, synthesize it, and put it all together into something that works for you.l

"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often."

There are lot of people who want to talk about what great shooters they are. Fewer want to get out there at a match and show us just where they really fall on the food chain.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

The winningest shooter in USPSA/IPSC is, after all these years, a middleaged fat man with one good knee. Somehow, that doesn't seem to stop him from kicking ass.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."

Match nerves, anone?

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain."

Note to the people who won't get out and shoot matches.

"Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned."

One big difference between good shooters and not-so-good shooters is that not-so-good shooters tend to fixate early on one specific set of shooting skills, usually taught them by a guru, whereas for good shooters their technique is a constant process of experimentation and refinement, and if they learn a better way to something today they will instantly scrap techniques they've spent years practicing.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

See above.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."

How many people resent those who've worked harder, thus can shoot better, than they can?

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

Don't worry about what might go wrong on a stage, because it probably won't. Just shoot.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

And the pistol match does not necessarily, or even usually, go to the largest and strongest individual but to the one who worked hardest before the match even started.

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."

Don't tell me you're a great shooter. Show me you're a great shooter. You opinion on anything shooting related will carry much more weight with me if you can back up theory with practice.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

If you're shooting exactly like every well-meaning good shooter tells you to....maybe it's time to think about what you could be doing differently.

"Work is a necessary evil to be avoided."

The very best shooters - the very best at anything - don't do it because it's work. They do it because they love doing it.

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell......"

Its been so hot lately this almost makes sense

As much as I like Mark Twain, I'm not sure he ever said anything that wasn't quotable, but the Hell and Texas quote belongs to Phil Sheridan.

• 2 weeks later...