Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for an M&P 9mm

a63829

I am basically new to USPSA just started shooting back in November 2008 with an M&P 9mm L model. I am trying to reload my own ammo and trying to get a good recipe to reload minor. I so far have 9mm 125 RN (356) lead bullets, and No. 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers, I am trying to find what is a good powder, and amount to use. I would appreciate your time and help.

Wish I could be of help. Still trying to determine difference between standard and mag primers with different loads in 9x19. Last experence with small rifle primers in handgun loads was early 1980's with .454 Casull. I will be interested in reading replies from those who have had experience.

Spent this morning at range with chrony. 9x19 is touchy cartridge when pressure reaches upper limits, especially with 147 lead having a long bearing surface. Though I was being somewhat conservitave with different loads. Some primers looked as if you had simply filled the primer pocket with murcury. Ouch! Hard on the gun for sure.

Holy Crap guys get a book! :surprise: Until you do I would read the reloading section here from front to back before loading another round. I can honestly say I don't feel comfortable recommending anything. Sorry and be careful.

Wish I could be of help. Still trying to determine difference between standard and mag primers with different loads in 9x19. Last experence with small rifle primers in handgun loads was early 1980's with .454 Casull. I will be interested in reading replies from those who have had experience.

Spent this morning at range with chrony. 9x19 is touchy cartridge when pressure reaches upper limits, especially with 147 lead having a long bearing surface. Though I was being somewhat conservitave with different loads. Some primers looked as if you had simply filled the primer pocket with murcury. Ouch! Hard on the gun for sure.

I would assume that most people working up a load would start with a known good load and work from there. Getting high pressure signs on your first loads is a horrible thing. Be glad it was just flattened primers. It could have been a lot worse.

Research and safety is highly recommended.

Butch

I am basically new to USPSA just started shooting back in November 2008 with an M&P 9mm L model. I am trying to reload my own ammo and trying to get a good recipe to reload minor. I so far have 9mm 125 RN (356) lead bullets, and No. 7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers, I am trying to find what is a good powder, and amount to use. I would appreciate your time and help.

Welcome to the Forums Joel! You may have some light strikes with those rifle primers...you may not. I'm shooting a M&P Pro with 124gr jacketed bullets, VV320 powder and small pistol primers. There are a lot of powders that will work well with your bullets. I've shot Greendot, 700X, VV330, VV320, American Select, and e3 in the 9mm with good results. Do you have any powder on hand? Get ahold of a reloading manual and look at the data for 9mm and try a search here for some 9mm minor loads. Vhita Vouri powders are a little pricey but they are very nice and clean burning. I'll be switching over to Alliant e3 when the last of my VV320 is gone. Hope this helps.

Eddie