Who makes the nicest grips for 1911?

-JQ-

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking for a set of grips for a 1911 that match STI 2011 grips. If the grips were made right you could even attach magwells made for the 2011's

Not to sure on your description of the grips since I am not familiar with the 2011. If you could be a bit more descriptive, I am sure I could hook you up. Maybe you could PM me and we could chat.

:cheers:

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished another set of Ivory, seems like there is a good demand for them. I just ordered some more of the blank Ivory and have already sold 3 pair and have 2 others interested. Maybe this is what a lot of folks are looking for.

Again the pictures do not do them justice. These are Ambi cut, slotted for MSP, and have a beveled bottom.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

post-20289-1252260913_thumb.jpg

post-20289-1252260696_thumb.jpg

post-20289-1252260725_thumb.jpg

here ya go rt3, you wanted me to post the last order...

tp%20done%20001.jpg

top row L-R

bobbed 1911 in birdseye maple

another b-t in end cut ebony

defender grips in cape buffalo horn (i only re-carved the design on these as the owner did not like them as shallow as they were originally done laser cut)

bottom row L-R

defender grips in wild cherry

another b-t 1911 in walnut (owner actually made that set and sent them for checkering)

colt mustang in walnut (only 3 inches top to bottom)

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to provide an unsolicited shout out for Carl, RT3's work. For several years I've wanted to get a pair of desert Ironwood grips for my Kimber Ultra CDP. One day I was searching the various message groups and I came across Carl's work and got in touch with him. He helped me pick out a really nice piece of Ironwood and got right to work. As you can from the attached picture the grips came out beautifully. In addition I have to mention that it was an absolute pleasure dealing with Carl. He response to all my questions/emails were very timely and he got me the grips in no time! All in all I could not be happier.

AMV in NYC.

post-21238-1254168293_thumb.jpg

Thanks Oldemagics for posting that order. I thought those grips were gorgeous. Always post your work, it is a pleasure to look at.

Many Thank's to AMV for the great write up on my grips. They did turn out quite nice, and really enhances his gun. I am working on some more Ivory at the present time. I have the grips made but I am waiting on the inlays to come in. I won't say what the inlays are at this time, I'll leave that for a little tease. They will be quite unique. I will be sure to post them as I want to know what everyone thinks about them.

All ya'll that make grips, post them and let us see your handy work. I always enjoy seeing what other people come up with.

Later.

Carl

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know where I might find some grips made out of stingray skin? I have a pool cue with ray on the grip and it feels great nice and ruff like grip tape but purdy.

Thanks Jeremy

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know where I might find some grips made out of stingray skin? I have a pool cue with ray on the grip and it feels great nice and ruff like grip tape but purdy.

Thanks Jeremy

Jeremy:

If you can locate the material, I will be glad to give you a quote, after I can see the material. I am not familiar with stingray skin.

Hope I can help.

Carl

MashBill-

Those are very nice. What is the story on the blaster? I see it started out as a caspian...?

I built it myself and it is my pride and joy! After modifying over a dozen different 1911s for myself and others, I decided to build my own. Here are the build details:

Frame and Frame Components

• Frame: Caspian, Model 1911, 410 stainless steel, 0.250 beavertail radius cut
  • Trigger: Caspian Damascus
  • Sear: EGW, Competition Hard Sear
  • Disconnector: Ed Brown, Hardcore
  • Hammer: Wilson Combat
  • Hammer Strut: STI, Titanium
  • Mainspring Housing: Ed Brown, flat profile, 30 LPI checkering, SS
  • Thumb Safety: Mueschke Ambi, SS
  • Grip Safety: Caspian Speed Bump, SS
  • Magazine Catch & Lock : Ed Brown, hex head, SS
  • Slide Stop: EGW Oversize, SS
  • Ejector: Caspian SS
  • Plunger Tube: Caspian SS
  • Pistol Pin Set: Nowlin, SS
  • Mainspring Cap: STI, Titanium
  • Coil Springs: Wolff
  • Sear Spring: Wolff
  • Grip Bushings: Brownell's, SS
  • Grip Screws: Smith & Alexander, engraved, Allen head, SS
  • Grips: Esmeralda spalted maple, smooth

Slide and Slide Components

• Frame: Caspian, SS Damascus, Bomar sight cut, front dovetail at 0.330 x 0.075 x 65, milled flat top, logo removed, slide/frame hand-lapped
  • Front Sight: EGW, Fiber Optic, 0.185" high, for 0.330 x 0.075 x 65 dovetail cut
  • Rear Sight (Adjustable): Caspian, Target, BM-1 cut
  • Barrel and Link: Storm Lake
  • Barrel Bushing: Briley Spherical
  • Firing Pin & Stop: Caspian, SS
  • Extractor: Aftec Advanced Competition, dual coil spring
  • Recoil Spring Plug: Cominolli, Tungsten
  • Recoil Spring Guide: EGW, One-Piece Full-Length, Tungsten

Edited by MashBill

Hi everyone

Got an email from Oldemagics the other day and he showed me some really awesome Corian grips. I am trying to get him to post a picture on this forum for all to see.

They are really nice. I have never used Corian, but after seeing his I think I might have to try some of it.

later

Hi everyone

Got an email from Oldemagics the other day and he showed me some really awesome Corian grips. I am trying to get him to post a picture on this forum for all to see.

They are really nice. I have never used Corian, but after seeing his I think I might have to try some of it.

later

Carl, if i posted every set i make or experiment with like the one in the e-mail... i would live on the computer!

here... happy now? lol but glad someone likes to see my work, yer a one man pep squad!

to the rest of you, this is NOT finished work, just a single grip i was playing with to see how well an idea worked...

celt%20cross.jpg

Man I love that Maple. I love working with figured Maple, it always comes out so beautiful. I have just finished stippling a set of laminated Wine Wood grips with the Kimber SIS design, turned out fairly nice. I like this design very much and plan on using it a lot more in the future. Give me your thoughts on them. All comments are welcome, good or bad.

Thanks for looking, Enjoy the beauty of wood.

post-20289-1255725196_thumb.jpg

Man I love that Maple. I love working with figured Maple, it always comes out so beautiful. I have just finished stippling a set of laminated Wine Wood grips with the Kimber SIS design, turned out fairly nice. I like this design very much and plan on using it a lot more in the future. Give me your thoughts on them. All comments are welcome, good or bad.

Thanks for looking, Enjoy the beauty of wood.

post-20289-1255725196_thumb.jpg

+1 I likey

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen, my name is Clay.

Nice forum you all have here!

I have been perusing this thread, lots of nice work!

Thought I'd show off a set, they are an aquired taste, I know some of you probably aren't into these sort of designs.

Tell me what you think, I can handle constructive criticism as well as guidance to improve.

paidgrips1.jpg

paidgrips2.jpg

Thought I'd show off a set, they are an aquired taste, I know some of you probably aren't into these sort of designs.

Tell me what you think, I can handle constructive criticism as well as guidance to improve.

paidgrips1.jpg

paidgrips2.jpg

I think they are pretty dang cool!

paidgrips1.jpg

paidgrips2.jpg

Not sure they would look right on my guns, but I still like them! Great job!

Clay, I really like what you have done with the grips. Like you said, it's not for everyone but certainly nice. Would you share the technique? I can't tell from looking exactly how they are done.

Keep posting, these are some really awesome grips.