Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the nicest grips for 1911?

-JQ-

Who makes the nicest grips for 1911?

In this case, nice = beauty over function. This gun will be shot but not likely to suffer long days of sweat and grit.

I know there is:

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

...but I'm curious who else has this type of grips. This is for a bead blasted stainless finish so I'm thinking red/dark wood...but could go stag...I'll know it when I see it.

Thanks!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it's mostly for cosmetics then I'd agree that Esmerelda's are among the best. I doubt he does it without putting them on one of his guns but Ted Yost has made some amazing grips that I have seen.

The most beautiful wood I've ever seen is Desert Ironwood. A nice piece of that looks like golden-brown, solidified flame. Then of course there's ivory. Some people will argue with me on this, but given my own esthetic sense I think that ivory grips on a stainless gun look really sharp. Ivory is available from Eagle Grips; they still have some left over from before the import ban. If you've got about $500, they can hook you up. :)

Addict- I forgot about you...are you stocking woods?

VZs are great but this will be a little more..."pretty"

Here's the gun as is:

347taiv.jpg

and through bad photoshop magic

Red esmeralda cocobola:

1o4ox5.jpg

White - andean alder

s3m2b5.jpg

Duane I'm kinda with you...white on white might be the answer...

Edited by hk_mtbr

Hello: Some Mammoth grips look great. I know a guy who bought some off E-bay and they look great for a carry pistol. I like the Larry Davidson grips myself or the Carbon Creation ones. Smith and Alexanders are great for the price as well. Looks like I have to buy some more grips :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hkmtbr, I have mostly maple burl but a few other exotics. If you are willing to stabilize it some fabulous spalted stuff but it is too soft as is. I made that set for fun and it took about 8 hours start to finish with hand filing and sanding. Seriously this is not a hard project and very satisfying. Heck you can even use my bandsaw/drillpress if you wanna come over!

Addict

Maybe I'm a little flashy, but I dig deep colors, especially on stainless.

Check these out:

Grips642-2T.jpg

Pink Ivorywood.... I have a set of blanks of it sitting here, and it's crazy pretty. VERY deep and bright with this crazy watermelon color, it's pretty cool. I snapped my scales up because at the time I had never seen a set of grips made out of it.

There's several good grip makers who will work with woods that you send them.... I've got some Purple Heart, Red Heart, and Bloodwood amongst other typical stuff sitting around that I eventually wanna get cut down into grips. There's a pretty good exotic wood dealer out of Dayton that I got some of mine from a while back. Also heard there's another dealer in Lexington as well....

Just some thoughts.

Here is a link to some bling:

Holy.... :surprise:

Now if they weren't cut for the mainspring pin...

I'm thinking about taking Addict up on his offer to use his bandsaw...and hopefully these grips won't cost me a thumb