Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patrick Henry

ben b.

Are there men today so clear of head and heart as once there were? I am continually struck dumb in my reverence for the Founding Fathers of this country.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" --Patrick Henry

Firebrand, wasn't he? It is fitting as we approach Independence Day.

Edited by ben b.

My 9 yo daughter memorized the Patrick Henry speech for school this year, she practiced it so many times that my 3 yo daughter was heard while roaming the house, "Give me liberty, or give me death!" complete with a simulated dagger stab to the heart. It cracked me up.

And unlike alot of "Let's go to war" blabbermouths which usually means Let other people go to war while I hang out with my interns, Patrick Henry actually did just that, He also realized he sucked as a field Military Commander and resigned to take up Civilian leadership.

He also fought pretty hard against the Constitution fearing excactly what has happened.

While not a Patrick Henry quote, it is another great one from one of our founders:

"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood."

--John Adams, A Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1765

Great way to start the 4th of July weekend! :cheers:

Many of the Founding Fathers were prominent and wealthy men. They had EVERYTHING to lose in a war. Yet, they never backed down.

Very few of those types of men left today. So, but not many . . .