Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are you guys storing your powder?

I store mine in my basement, which happens to be cool and dry. In line with NFPA guidelines, I have mine in a wooden box with 1.5 inch walls (made with nominal 2x12's) and keep less than 50 lbs. You can find the NFPA guidelines online. I mainly follow this so my homeowners insurance doesn't have an excuse to deny a claim. Besides, the NFPA calls such a box a "powder magazine" which for some reason sounds really cool to me. According to some gun shop owners I've talked to, the local fire department will also accept fire resistant steel cabinets designed for flammables, but those are really expensive. So far I haven't had any powder go bad, but I live in a dry climate.

• 1 month later...

In an Igloo cooler next to my bench.... Keeps the stuff cool and temperature's more stable than an uninsulated cabinet. I've loaded some odd ball powder that had been sitting for almost 20 years with no problems. Liked the results and used the old powder up, bought fresh powder and it shot exactly the same.

• 1 month later...
Some of it looks like this too... but it's grown a lot since this picture was taken.

CIMG2748.jpg

I wouldnt know how to reload with that organization. I have to search for at least 30 minutes to find what powder I need LOL.

There is a informative section in the "Neill on Reloading" section in the July/August issue of Front Sight magazine. The article states that a useful alternative to wood cabinets is using a non-working refrigerator with magnetic doors.

Check out the article if you get Front Sight or know someone who does. There is a bunch of additional information regarding powder.