Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one do you like the PRS on

steel1212

Just my opinion but the PRS is overkill for a short rifle in .223 or .308. The PRS is made for rifles that can use it features and adjustbility so the PRS should go on the longer 20" rifle. The one positive in this case is that it will help balance out the heaavier front end of the .308. If that is something you need/want then put a UBR on the .308 and put the PRS on the longer .223.

WhenI put a 16" upper on one of my lowers with a PRS it just is strange but when I put on the 24" heavy varmint upper it looks/feels right.

Neal in AZ

Just my opinion but the PRS is overkill for a short rifle in .223 or .308. The PRS is made for rifles that can use it features and adjustbility so the PRS should go on the longer 20" rifle. The one positive in this case is that it will help balance out the heaavier front end of the .308. If that is something you need/want then put a UBR on the .308 and put the PRS on the longer .223.

WhenI put a 16" upper on one of my lowers with a PRS it just is strange but when I put on the 24" heavy varmint upper it looks/feels right.

Neal in AZ

True that.

Isn't there a PRS specific to AR10s? I think it has something to do with the cheek pad clearing the charging handle. If you put the pad all the way down, I guess it doesn't matter.

I have one and I have one problem with it. I like to keep my nose close to the charging handle. If you use the cheek pad, it isn't in the right place to do this.

I vote which ever one you shoot better with it on there.

I bought a PRS, and am not totally in love with it. As was expressed in a previous post, the cheek pad puts my noggin too far back on the rifle to effectively utilize. Standard A2 works pretty well.

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0005-1.jpg

I Think this is the way I'm going to. I've ran that 20" with a carbine stock for a couple years now in 3 gun and its worked fine. Allows me to get close to the scope where I want and fits well, I hate to change that if I need to go back to it. The .308 is already nose heavy as hell and is primarily a bench/hunting gun anyway so I think this fits best for me. Yes if you raise the cheek piece the CH will hit it. I don't need to raise it to fit me though. If I did I can buy a spacer from brownells and everything would work. Also, I got some stocks, PRS and another CTR, in a trade deal to finish up some projects so I'll run with them for now.

Side note anybody want to trade those 3 black panel and 1 black ladder rail covers for you OD ones?

Isn't there a PRS specific to AR10s? I think it has something to do with the cheek pad clearing the charging handle. If you put the pad all the way down, I guess it doesn't matter.

I have one and I have one problem with it. I like to keep my nose close to the charging handle. If you use the cheek pad, it isn't in the right place to do this.

Yup, there is an AR10/SR25 specific PRS. On my AR, the charging handle comes back about 3.5" from the back of the lower. The charging handle on the SR-25's I've messed with come back around 0.6 +/- farther. I haven't messed with the 5.56 AR PRS stock, but I know on the AR-10/SR-25 PRS put the cheek piece back far enough that the cheek piece could be up and you could still run the weapon.

As for your one problem, I've been pondering that one a good bit recently as well. Hopefully I can come up with something.

ETA: Just checked magpul's website and they had this note on the AR15 PRS page: Note: DO NOT USE THE PRS™ AR15/M16 ON AR10-TYPE RIFLES DUE TO CHARGING HANDLE CLEARANCE ISSUES! Contact Magpul® at 1.877.4MAGPUL if you need to convert your stock to the PRS™ AR10/SR25 model.

Edited by cougar_guy04

Yup, reason why I suggested it on the 223 rifle. But if it works...

FYI, this IS a AR-10 PRS. Its exactly the same as a AR-15 version but the AR10 version has a shorter cheek piece. Either way they don't work with the cheek piece raised on a LAR-8 as it has a longer charging stroke. Now it will function. You can charge the weapon and it will lock back on a empty. You just can't lock it back manually with the cheek piece raised.