Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

George Huening

sperman

Through my contacts in racing I have become friends with George Huening. He is toying with the idea of getting back into shooting and gunsmithing. I was curious how many of you remember his work and his reputation from back in the day. He's been extremely helpful working with me on any number of issues.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be awesome..

George built some great guns.

he did great work with the Springfield P9 ..also did a really cool carry comp on the 1911

please encourage him to build guns again.

George built some fantastic EAA/P-9/CZ-ish parts, and was known as being one of the "go to" smiths for P-9 raceguns back in the day. I'm sure his return would be welcomed.

a friend of mine had george build him a steel gun years ago. i believe he might have been the first gunsmith to incorporate carbon fiber into a build (i think he used to be involved with fabricating race car parts). he did this awesome honeycomb scope mount on that gun.

He would definitely be welcome to the EAA/Tanfoglio crowd! And to all others of course. I still have some of his parts, a trigger etc.. and a buch of his "major PF" EAA/TZ recoil springs still in the package. His work was awesome.

Been following the sport since the late 80's. I certainly recognize that name and associate him with exacting quality in everything he made. His work on the P9 style guns was awesome. I also still have some of his parts and his springs in my Tanfoglio gun.

The level of quality in the parts/gunsmiths we have associated with USPSA is superb but if George came back into it it would raise up a notch. :bow:

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

George Huening

that's a blast from the past, I remember looking over a SS full house comp gun (that's what we used to call them back then) he built. and was amazed the amount of work he did to tighten the slide to frame fit, and the fit and finish of all the parts. this was before the ugly gun era.

and if I remember correctly, he also invented the carbon fiber scope mount and the low mass hammer doug koeing sells was a huening design.

George Huening

that's a blast from the past, I remember looking over a SS full house comp gun (that's what we used to call them back then) he built. and was amazed the amount of work he did to tighten the slide to frame fit, and the fit and finish of all the parts. this was before the ugly gun era.

and if I remember correctly, he also invented the carbon fiber scope mount and the low mass hammer doug koeing sells was a huening design.

I'll pass everyone's comments along and see if I can't convince him to start doing some work. (Starting with a SS for me :rolleyes: )

You might see him and his son at a match someday if you shoot in the Indy area.

I still have George's complete trigger system that included the roller ball trigger bow tensioner. His parts allowed insane (for the time period) trigger pulls in the EAA/P9 guns. I also had one of his match barrels with the improved pin geometry below that solved many of the problems that we now see. All of his stuff was "World Class" ;-)

My Caspian Hi-Cap built in 1993 has a Huening .38 super bull barrel that was comped and turned down in a taper and fluted by my gunsmith.

Over 50k rounds and this gun is still a tack driver.

Come on back George!

Marty

A-7424

George Huening

George and his son shoot Friday Night Steel here in Indy; I help run the match and struck up a conversation when I saw that he was shooting a handsomely modified Edge, and his son was shooting a nice Infinity... Two weeks later, I ran into them again and he'd already fitted a new slide to his son's gun. I shot his, and the trigger pull was fantastic (even compared to my Brazos). I'm impressed with his work (lightening, slide fit, trigger job, etc.) and I hope he starts building guns again. Indy could use a gunsmith of that caliber! I'll make sure to mention it to George next time I talk to him.

L9x25 asked if I could post this pic of the roller ball trigger bow tensioner from my gun since I had it apart.

The roller ball mounts on top of the plunger that holds the mag release in place and pushes the trigger bow upward to keep it engaged to the sear. The trigger system disconnects by the slide pushing the trigger bow downward to where it cannot touch the sear. The "shoe" that the ball replaces causes a lot of friction as the bow slides forward and back over it (it is under a lot of pressure), while the ball lets it slide far more freely and makes a lighter trigger pull possible.

post-6365-1246477852_thumb.jpg

I recently sold one of those to Ron Francisco for his Gold Team; I did not realize it was a Heunig part I had. Good to know.

L9x25 asked if I could post this pic of the roller ball trigger bow tensioner from my gun since I had it apart.

The roller ball mounts on top of the plunger that holds the mag release in place and pushes the trigger bow upward to keep it engaged to the sear. The trigger system disconnects by the slide pushing the trigger bow downward to where it cannot touch the sear. The "shoe" that the ball replaces causes a lot of friction as the bow slides forward and back over it (it is under a lot of pressure), while the ball lets it slide far more freely and makes a lighter trigger pull possible.

My ancient single stack Super Open gun has one of his early carbon fiber mounts on it. At the time everybody was breaking Tasco PDP3s on a regular basis. I bought a new scope, the Huening mount and that scope is still working after a LOT of rounds. R,

Through my contacts in racing I have become friends with George Huening. He is toying with the idea of getting back into shooting and gunsmithing. I was curious how many of you remember his work and his reputation from back in the day. He's been extremely helpful working with me on any number of issues.

His stuff was awesome!!! World Class Pistols inc. was sorely missed when he left the scene. I loved the carbon fiber scopemounts. As more folks start toying with CZ/Tanfoglio guns, his prior experience with the Tanfoglio/P9 ought to keep him in demand.