Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vihtavuori 330 Loads .40

Mistral404

I doubt if your load would make major. I use to use it with the old power factor with 200 gr bullets at 1.210 OAL 5.5 grs chronoed at 176 PF.

I'd echo what Bulm5 wrote.

My only experience with Vit N330 and 180 grainers (Lead TC-BB) is in a Glock 27 (3.5" barrel), and goes like this:

4.5 grs 1.120" O.A.L. 131 PF

4.8 grs 1.120" O.A.L. 141 PF

5.1 grs 1.120" O.A.L. 154 PF

In my very brief experience with Vit N330 in .40 and .45 this powder has shown almost the same behaviour as N340, I mean with same load and bullet showed almost the same chrono results (no guess about the pressures) in the ranges I loaded it, but, being this a faster burning powder than N340 I bet with increasing loads the behaviour will differ, and pressures will raise at warning levels with N330.

But, please, approach this experience (it is definitely not a conclusion) with all due care.

You don't want to get within 90% of anyone's Major loads until you chrono in your gun. Ask guys to bring their chrono to a match, or get a $99 Chrony.

At the old power factor, when guys were separating cases left&right using N320 powder, I used N330 & loved it.

Now, thru my G35, N330 has noticeable more flip than TG or N320, which both work fine. I use TiteGroup and 180 JHPs.

I worry about the guys using N310. A lot of them are the same guys who separated cases before the lower PF. Close to the edge, IMHO.

If you load 1000 rounds a week, and buy once-fired brass, you really don't wanna be close to the edge. My $.02.

I developed this load using an SVI with a schuemann barrel. My Para was consistantly 75 fps faster. The SVI appears to sacrafice speed for accuracy. Glocks Para's etc seem to have faster barrels then the SVI/STI guns. That said this summer I shot the following load with great results.

5.6 grains VV N330

CCI 400 primers

MG 180 g RNFP

1.200" oal

PF=171 low average