Michael Jackson Dead

STI2011

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange little curiosity of a man.

What his death reminds me of is not his music, his strangeness, or his perversions, but rather that life is fleeting and tomorrow is not guaranteed. He is one more person that has died that is younger than me.

I think I will go give Ms. Neomet a kiss.

Today at lunch, I was just talking to my daughter-in-law about Ed McMahon and Farah Fawcett dying and wondered who the 3rd would be. Didn't have to wait long to find out.

It's too bad he turned into a nutcase. I enjoyed his music with the J5.

What his death reminds me of is not his music, his strangeness, or his perversions, but rather that life is fleeting and tomorrow is not guaranteed. He is one more person that has died that is younger than me.

+1... but not your Ms. but mine. <_<

One thing about death that is good... it really helps you appreciate life.

Regardless of what he did or didn't do, I can't celebrate anyone's death.

Off The Wall and Thriller came out as I was getting onto punk rock. Most of the guys that played sports were not really into the MJ thing. If you showed up to a party with a MJ Thriller shirt, or sporting a white sequined glove, you probably were leaving with a shiner. But, if I was on a date, I can assure you if my GF wanted to hear MJ, well then MJ it was. :devil: I was amazed at how big he really got during my junior high/high school years. He became an icon during this time. It was quite strange to see his transformation over the years. His journey on this planet was obviously not a really happy one. Goes to show you that with all the fame and talent, and money, you are still a human.

I think I'd still rather have seen The Clash or The Ramones than MJ.

Still, his mark on the pop music world will not soon be forgotten. Even his flops sold millions! Without him, Justin Timberlake, and the likes of Usher would probably not have taken their current paths to stardom. I'm not saying they wouldn't be famous, just that their style is definitely derivavtive to a point.

My only hope is that all the legal stuff was just people trying to gouge him, and not true. Probably not, but then again people will do some crazy things to get money.

RIP MJ.

JZ

I remember shortly after Thiller became such a big it, a writer who had interviewed MJ on behalf of Rolling Stone Magazine a few years earlier suddenly got recognized. They were scrambling for material and pulled up the interview they had previously thought not worthy of publication.

The guy described a lunch meeting taken during a break from filming The Wiz. The reporter related how totally out of touch Michael seemed to be with the world. Even in that posh restaurant, he ate with his fingers and seemed to have no understanding of the utensils provided. When asked his thoughts about Ronald Reagan as President, he gave a profoundly puzzled look, thought for a minute and asked, "You mean that actor guy? Wow. I didn't know that." This was ~ 3 years into Reagan's first term of office if I remember correctly. The reporter came away with the impression that Michael was shielded behind a large group of people who catered to his every need and whim, with their sole objective to continue their exploitation of his money-making potential. Right and wrong didn't matter as long as he continued to bring in the dollars.

My own impression of that interview and the subsequent statements he made over the years is that Stevie Wonder has seen first-hand more of the world than Michael.

I'm in no way trying to excuse or forgive the atrocities he's been accused of, and may very well be guilty of, but I wonder how much of it could have been prevented by a loving family and circle of friends who would have seen him as more than their meal ticket.

To piggyback that (and maybe I'm too black/white on this) but whether he may or may not have done it, he had his day in court and by a jury of his peers acquitted. If we stood in front of a judge for whatever we were ACCUSED of, that we felt or knowingly did not do, all we can ask is for that day in court and although his ruling was unpopular, it was the ruling of that jury and that judge.

For whatever wrongs he may or may not have done is not for us to judge.

Rich

There are a lot to say about Michael Jackson, But in my mind and many others was his musical talent unquestionable.Unfortunately was the focus more on his personal life than on his music, for a number of years.

I dont know what is true about his life, and frankly I dont care. I want to remember him as one of the greatest artists of all time.

As I write this is my favorite Michael J tune going on the CD "Dirty Diana".

Peace Michael!

This is a memorial thread for those that liked the work of the entertainer that just passed. Not an invitation to debate the personality of the deceased. Please remember that and if you don't have something fitting to add don't. Thanks...3qt

Ok, mod hat removed...

Looking back at his career I get this thought.

Crazy mad talent wrapped up in a seriously troubled person.

His input to music will be missed and remembered...

This is a memorial thread for those that liked the work of the entertainer that just passed. Not an invitation to debate the personality of the deceased. Please remember that and if you don't have something fitting to add don't. Thanks...3qt

Ok, mod hat removed...

Looking back at his career I get this thought.

Crazy mad talent wrapped up in a seriously troubled person.

His input to music will be missed and remembered...

Whatever else you can say about him, he was an original.

+1... but not your Ms. but mine. <_<

One thing about death that is good... it really helps you appreciate life.

Regardless of what he did or didn't do, I can't celebrate anyone's death.

+1, I feel sorry for his family and wonder at the waste of such great talent.

But, I have celebrated the death of the great villians of our world: Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, among others.

In 1985, I was a child abuse investigator, and my duties included checking on kids in foster placements. I remember one 15 yr old foster kid I worked with who had a HUGE Michael Jackson fixation. Everyone in this kid's life had let him down or abused him, but he had a great attitude and was dealing with it as well as anyone ever could have. He would do odd jobs around town to earn money and buy MJ paraphernalia. I remember he used to walk around town in a red sequin jacket, one sequin glove, and a pair of blue jeans he'd sewn about 50 zippers on. Naturally, he kept his hair slicked back and wore a pair of sunglasses all the time.

Kinda unusual for a white kid in rural TN! But it was hard not to smile when you saw him.

Fame does something to people, and it sure twisted Michael Jackson. But there's no denying that he was one of the major figures in 20th century pop and r&b music. As a child star and then through the Thriller era, he was a giant. Cryin' shame...