Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Options for longer foreend?

esskay

Howdy,

I have a JP upper with 16" barrel, mid-length gas system & JP/VTAC handguard:

jpupper.jpg

I would like a longer handguard on it. I spoke to JP, and their recommended course of action was:

* Buy rifle length JP/VTAC handguard (tube only)

* Buy low profile gas block

* Remove muzzle brake

* Remove existing gas block (set screw style) & replace with new low-profile gas block (clamp style)

* Unscrew & replace mid-length tube with new rifle length tube

* Reinstall muzzle brake

Unfortunately, they are back ordered on the rifle-length tubes. I was wondering if folks had any thoughts or suggestions for any other options to get a rifle length fore-end on the rifle -- or whether the above sounds like the best way to go (total cost ~$170, and couple months wait on the back order).

Thanks.

Edited by esskay

If you look hard enough, you may be able to find one of JP's older handguards. They are larger in diameter and will fit over your current gasblock. I found one, this past weekend, in the classified adds here with a WTB thread.

If you look hard enough, you may be able to find one of JP's older handguards. They are larger in diameter and will fit over your current gasblock. I found one, this past weekend, in the classified adds here with a WTB thread.

Thanks for the heads-up ScooterJ. Do you know if the older tube is compatible with the current one's receiver/barrel nut assembly? Or would I have to swap out the receiver/barrel nut assembly? If I had to do that, I think I'd rather replace the gas block than have to mess around with the barrel nut. Thanks!

No its not. And its not worth breaking the locktite to install the old style tube.

Put in the order for just the tube and gas block with JP.

Then do the switch when the parts come in.

JP may break you a tube out if you tell them its for your 3-gun rifle.

I just built an upper 2 weeks ago, using a JP rifle length hand guard - I got lucky and Brownell's had them in stock. You could backorder from them and they don't charge your card until the backorder item ships.

There is a low profile gas block on their site:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27015/P...OFILE_GAS_BLOCK

They also have a coupon code for free shipping on orders >$150 until 6/30 - MAN.

Here is a crappy Iphone pic of mine:

00666.JPG

I got a used 16" RRA barrel with a CAR gas system from a friend. I cut and grinded down the front sight base on it to make my own low profile gas block. I had to remove a lot of metal, but it uses the pins from the original instead of screwing on.