Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats The Best 1911 Hammer & sear Fixture

blkbrd

I can't remember if I posted this on another thread, but I ended up getting the adjustable hammer/sear pin block kit (item # 080-000-115) from Brownells and a microscope (item # 291-000-001).

Before I did anything, I took the hammer and sear out of my gun and looked at the engagement using the microscope. This was after I did a previous trigger job following the advice from the following link:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/N...p;t=1&i=349

I was amazed at what I saw. The hammer sear engagement was a little spooky. Instead of settting the Power Custom jig at 4 clicks for the primary angle on the sear, I set it at 14 clicks to get a nice parallel engagement between the primary angle on the sear with the hammer hooks. I also had trouble getting the jig set high enough to cut the secondary angle. In stead, I adjusted the adapter which holds the sear clockwise to get a nice secondary cut. I did this and inspected everything with the microscope. I think I got a much nicer and safer trigger job by doing this.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Well if you prefere to have a long time on trigger its up to you. As much you cut the secondary angle and as much short you get the primary angle and more is short the primary angle lesser time the sear needs to release the trigger. The segret is to get the right less primary angle. If your gun dont work as a "machinegun" the gun is safe.... so why change the sear angle?

:D

Edited by Josh Biondi

Josh,

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I changed the sear angle to get a nice parallel engagement with the hammer hooks. I was having issues with hammer follow before.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Josh,

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but I changed the sear angle to get a nice parallel engagement with the hammer hooks. I was having issues with hammer follow before.

OPSSS CSEMARTIN mistake is up to me... I undestood that you change the length surface of primary angle just to be more sure.....

sorry again....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone had a good experience with the Yavapai fixture? It seems that several of you have found this fixture to be undersized.

Check pin distances on that jig. Make sure they are same as on your gun. A good purchase is external pins

I use a Marvel sear jig (583-000-001) to work on the sear and a clamp & feeler gauge to work on the hammer and it seems me to work really fine and obviously a eye loupe 10X. Cheap equipment for the best result. ;)

Hello,

On that marvel jigW/egw sear, did you have to adjust the screw on side inwards to get proper angle for sear?

Has anyone had a good experience with the Yavapai fixture? It seems that several of you have found this fixture to be undersized.

Check pin distances on that jig. Make sure they are same as on your gun. A good purchase is external pins

I use a Marvel sear jig (583-000-001) to work on the sear and a clamp & feeler gauge to work on the hammer and it seems me to work really fine and obviously a eye loupe 10X. Cheap equipment for the best result. ;)

Hello,

On that marvel jigW/egw sear, did you have to adjust the screw on side inwards to get proper angle for sear?

Hello Speed,

of course you'll must check the jig to adjust the screw to get the proper angle for the sear. You'll check it on the gun's frame hole to see how the sear and the hammer enagage themselves. However in my experience the EGW hard sear has the right angle how it come out from the farm so you should work on the hammer hooks angle.

Fell free to contact me if you'll need some others help.

regards.

Josh