Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the definition of an "Arsenal"?

Chris_Andersen

I was recently reading a newspaper article regarding gun ownership in which the interviewer spoke with Rep. Tom Coburn about his life long hunting etc. The reporter stated that Coburn had an "Arsenal" of 12 firearms.

My wife asked me how many guns I had when I laughed about that comment, and I told her more than that. Of course that started a whole other conversation.

Anyhow, was curious as to what everyone's thoughts on that were. Webester's definition is a collection of weapons, I guess the word seemed a bit poorly chosen to me. Any thoughts?

According to the dictionary, an arsenal is a collection of weapons. One or many, if that's your collection, you, by definition have an arsenal.

Arsenal

One entry found.

Main Entry:

ar·se·nal Listen to the pronunciation of arsenal

Pronunciation:

\ˈärs-nəl, ˈär-sə-\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Italian arsenale, ultimately from Arabic dār ṣināʽa house of manufacture

Date:

1 a: an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b: a collection of weapons

2: store, repertoire <the team's arsenal of veteran players>

I was recently reading a newspaper article regarding gun ownership in which the interviewer spoke with Rep. Tom Coburn about his life long hunting etc. The reporter stated that Coburn had an "Arsenal" of 12 firearms.

My wife asked me how many guns I had when I laughed about that comment, and I told her more than that. Of course that started a whole other conversation.

Anyhow, was curious as to what everyone's thoughts on that were. Webester's definition is a collection of weapons, I guess the word seemed a bit poorly chosen to me. Any thoughts?

The word arsenal was chosen for it's impact. The writer could have easily used a different word, like collection, but the impact of the statement would have been completely different. Then again the writer could have used the word Cache too, but then the subtile stance taken starts to look fanatic.

I personally prefer... just the facts, ma'am... from writers. Collection would have been more accurate, less influencing and still meant the same thing.

One man's "Collection" is another man's "Arsenal".

Mine? Collection.

And I reiterate: When I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I said I paid for them.

I always considered mine a collection as well...And I believe that word was definately chosen for it's impact.

A very small collection.

At night, when I am sleeping, with a smile on my face, it is about my ARSENAL! :P

Now, its just the basics for survival, defense, and playing on the weekends.

Boy, I sure wish I had an arsenal. :wub:

If you have multiple safes for your gun collection, but still use old cool whip bowls for your salad and soup...

You just might be a redneck.

Arsenal? Wasn't that a TV and Movie personality? Arsenal Hall?

To a competitor an arsenal is two of each gun for each type of competition and a few more because. To an Anti, it is a capgun and a roll of caps.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

When I think of an Arsenal, I think of Augusta Arsenal, Rock Island Arsenal and places like them (I sure wish that I had an Arsenal). I think of my guns as a collection (I have a license to collect). This is just my perception though.

Hurley