Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help with single stack mag pouch selection

irq23

I won a Safariland certificate at the High Desert Classic and I am going to get some new mag pouches. So I want to hear if you recommend the Safariland 771's or 773's and why. I have a cert so obviously Safariland only.

I voted 771 only because that's what I have. I know that is not what you are looking for but since I have never tried 773's all I can say is that I used 771 to shoot L-10 with a skinny gun for a few years with no issues and they work fine for single stack. I never though about replacing them since the have never given me a reason to replace them. The only change I have ever made to them was to bevel the inside top edge to allow for smoother stuffing during mags on the table stages.

Later,

Chuck

I voted 771 only because that's what I have. I know that is not what you are looking for but since I have never tried 773's all I can say is that I used 771 to shoot L-10 with a skinny gun for a few years with no issues and they work fine for single stack. I never though about replacing them since the have never given me a reason to replace them. The only change I have ever made to them was to bevel the inside top edge to allow for smoother stuffing during mags on the table stages.

Later,

Chuck

Thnx for the input Chuck. I am kinda torn because I have always heard great things about the 771's but the 773's are shorter so I thought they might be better suited for the shorter mags of single stack.

I have fairly large hands and I don't recall any difficulty getting a grip on my Wilson 47Ds. In fact they worked OK at the WSSSC 2 years ago when it was rain mixed with snow (in Mesa :surprise: )

I love that match. :)

I have fairly large hands and I don't recall any difficulty getting a grip on my Wilson 47Ds. In fact they worked OK at the WSSSC 2 years ago when it was rain mixed with snow (in Mesa :surprise: )

I just got the 771's to upgrade from my uncle mikes pouches. I really like them I was debating the 771 vs 773 as well and the overwhelming advice seemed to point towards the 771's. The open front strip makes indexing the pointer finger on them super easy and natural. Also the open front means if you dont quite pull all the way up it still easily slides out of the pouch.

I've used them in a half dozen idpa matches and a few steel plate and uspsa matches and cant complain.

• 3 months later...

I just got the 771's to upgrade from my uncle mikes pouches. I really like them I was debating the 771 vs 773 as well and the overwhelming advice seemed to point towards the 771's. The open front strip makes indexing the pointer finger on them super easy and natural. Also the open front means if you dont quite pull all the way up it still easily slides out of the pouch.

I've used them in a half dozen idpa matches and a few steel plate and uspsa matches and cant complain.

Those of you that have the 773, is it possible to cut away a portion of the front to be similar to the 771? Would this mod be legal for production?

Hello: I like the 771's over the 773's because they release easier and feel smoother. The 771's are very forgiving on there adjustment if the weather gets colder quickly since the front is open. You can cut the 773's any way you want but just buy the 771's and be done. I use up to 6 for single stack. If I shoot Limited 10 I use my double stack guns for now :cheers: I have tried lots of mag holders and settled on the Safariland 771's for single and double stack mags. Thanks, Eric