Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to find a target load for 45acp

btom

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and reloading. After much searching, I could not find load data for the components I have. I am trying to load 45acp with W231 powder, along with a Zero 185gr SWCHP bullet. I don't like to guess at loads, but the closest I could find to similar bullets/powder was anywhere from

4.6 to 6.5gr. This is not making me feel comfortable, especially as a beginner. I have loaded 38sp very successfully, so I am capable with the right info. Please help with load data, I will really appreciate it.

H&G # 68 SWC 200 gr cast using W 231 I use 5.3 for a Combat Commander 5.7 for a full size, Cut those loads back and it leaves unburned powder The 5.3 load is right on the edge of not burning properly, Shot this load more years than I would care to admit, I think you will find it easier with a 200, little bit of 185 experience I have, had a hard time getting all the powder to burn, If going that light perhaps a faster powder like Clays would be better. If 231 on hand give it a try though might be the extra friction of jacketed is enough to get it up and running

Boats

hey,

thanks for your help. I have been told many different loads to try, but I am going lite: 4.7gr of w231, 185gr SWCHP, col 1.22". This is just for target loads anyway, and I don't want too much recoil. I think the gun will cycle nicely (PT1911).

Thanks for your help,

tom

Edited by btom

The 'classic' Bullseye target load is a LSWC over anywhere from 3.7 to 4.0 gr of Bullseye powder. With lighter recoil springs in my .45s, right down to 3.5 gr of same powder is a light and super accurate load in either gun.

Bullesye is not a clean powder, but a little goes a long way, so like 231, you have to watch for double charges in the large .45ACP cases.

I could never get a 185 gr. Bullet to shoot well in any of my 45 target guns. Back when I shot Bullseye, my old load was a H&G 200 gr. Lead SWC with 4.0 gr. of Bullseye powder. I don’t remember what recoil spring I was running back then, but I know it was lighter than stock.

In the late 80's/early 90’s I tried finding a replacement for the old Bullseye load as it was very dirty burning. From my notes I found 231 started working well at 5.2 gr. So that’s where I’d recommend to start.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

PS I found WST to be the best target powder in the 45 acp for all bullet weights. Just as accurate as Bullseye but way cleaner. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

The results of 50 rounds of 45acp's I just loaded : 185gr swchp's, 4.7gr of W231 were "border line weak". One bad thing about shooting when I did was the wind was blowing into my face. I know I loaded on the minimum side, but that's a good thing to do (as you all know). I felt some grit (unspent powder) blowing back in my face? One round failed to reset the slide, and a couple other rounds were close to doing so. These are indications that I need a little more powder. Hodgdon told me 5.0 to 6.0 gr's, but I wanted to be on the safe side. Powder not completely burning is a unique way of reflecting too weak of a load? Has anybody read that before?

btom

• 2 weeks later...

Manufacturers usually list MINIMUM as well as MAXIMUM loads for a reason. Too little powder = too little pressure to properly burn the powder charge and all kinds of erratic things can happen like extreme velocity spreads, poor accuracy, and the occasional detonation (all the powder burns at once or KABOOM!). Therefore, it is generally wise not to go too low OR too high when loading any powder. For really light "target loads" in 45ACP extremely fast powders like Clays, Bullseye, Solo1000, Ramshot ZIP etc. are recommended as they will burn completely with a light load without causing pressure spikes. However, you will probably require a lighter recoil spring for the gun to operate properly. If you have an extra spring you can try cutting about 2 coils off for those really light loads like we did back in the "old days" when light springs were not available from the likes of Wolfe. On the other hand you could just order a couple of springs from them now of just about any spring rate, so I would do that if you are going to continue to experiment on the low end. As most here have related to you, using 231, the most successful loads were in the mid range of the recommended powder charge listed on the Hodgdon site, or about 5.4-5.7grns for best accuracy and complete powder consumption. You are just using a powder that was not intended for that slow a load with that bullet. You may also find that a really light bullet may not be the most advantageous for the least "apparent" or felt recoil in the 45ACP. Usually a 200grn Semi Wadcutter (usually lead, but the plated ones work well too) produces the most satisfactory load for those purposes, giving enough bullet resistance/weight to burn the powder in that large case, enough bullet surface/length to guide it through the barrel in a straight line (with the twist rate of the barrel and those other factors... you do want it to be accurate after all!), and enough weight to operate the slide at somewhat slow velocities. People have been at reloading the 45ACP for nearly 100 years and there is a lot of information out there about this cartridge.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Manufacturers usually list MINIMUM as well as MAXIMUM loads for a reason. Too little powder = too little pressure to properly burn the powder charge and all kinds of erratic things can happen like extreme velocity spreads, poor accuracy, and the occasional detonation (all the powder burns at once or KABOOM!). Therefore, it is generally wise not to go too low OR too high when loading any powder. For really light "target loads" in 45ACP extremely fast powders like Clays, Bullseye, Solo1000, Ramshot ZIP etc. are recommended as they will burn completely with a light load without causing pressure spikes. However, you will probably require a lighter recoil spring for the gun to operate properly. If you have an extra spring you can try cutting about 2 coils off for those really light loads like we did back in the "old days" when light springs were not available from the likes of Wolfe. On the other hand you could just order a couple of springs from them now of just about any spring rate, so I would do that if you are going to continue to experiment on the low end. As most here have related to you, using 231, the most successful loads were in the mid range of the recommended powder charge listed on the Hodgdon site, or about 5.4-5.7grns for best accuracy and complete powder consumption. You are just using a powder that was not intended for that slow a load with that bullet. You may also find that a really light bullet may not be the most advantageous for the least "apparent" or felt recoil in the 45ACP. Usually a 200grn Semi Wadcutter (usually lead, but the plated ones work well too) produces the most satisfactory load for those purposes, giving enough bullet resistance/weight to burn the powder in that large case, enough bullet surface/length to guide it through the barrel in a straight line (with the twist rate of the barrel and those other factors... you do want it to be accurate after all!), and enough weight to operate the slide at somewhat slow velocities. People have been at reloading the 45ACP for nearly 100 years and there is a lot of information out there about this cartridge.

great info, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Patrick Sweeney in his book of the 1911 came up ( with help from Bill Wilson as I recall) VV N-310 under a 200 gr. Laser Cast 200 gr. swc. I have not found a more consistantley accurate load (nor did he in either book) and have not found it's equal. I am sure there are other loads equal. I'm sure they are there but after trying a few I went back and have not strayed. All were shot in 1911's with mostly 5 inch barrels....have fun

• 4 weeks later...