Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Practice with Airpistol (not Airsoft)

Team Amish 1

Hi everyone,

does anyone have experience and or an opinion on accuracy practice with an airpistol?

I found airsoft triggers too light and do not believe the accuracy is comparable to an airpistol.

There are ambidextrous airgun models out there which would allow strong/weak and freestyle group shooting, I am thinking 10 to 25 yard range in the backyard, in the evening.

Shooting real guns is not an option in our subdivision and the range is 45 minutes away, so my wife might take offense to daily practice.

Airpistol would allow me to shoot a few groups a day and the "ammo" is dirt cheap.

I know not one airpistol shooter but am very tempted to invest in one.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Not one reply. Sad.

Nonetheless, I bought an airpistol.

One that does not need CO2, you just pump it and get the same pressure level every time.

No nasty propane smell, either.

Together with a pellet trap and some pellets, it's a real cheap and clean way to work on free style, strong hand, weak hand groups away from the range.

If anyone toys with the idea of buying one, I say go for it.

Just found your post. I have used a CO2 pistol for training in my yard for the past two years. I am convinced that it helped. I recently bought an airsoft. The blow back slide does not amount to much and the trigger is light but it is a replica of my competition gun. There are advantages to both. My CO2 has a much heavier trigger which can also be good. I plan to use them both.

Hi Jeff,

my pellet gun trigger is probably 3.5lbs or so - good practice for my Production gun, I think it's a more realistic trigger pull than my airsoft, plus it shoots more accurate. I now use my airsoft for drills and the pellet gun for groups.

Roman

Do you use these for "dry fire" drills, or just for shooting groups not from the holster?

It would seem to me there is not much to be gained if there is no recoil to contend with.

What other kinds of drills do you work on with this type of pisto?

Thanks,

Butch

<I don't shoot groups with an air pistol. But...>

Recoil is only part of the picture when it comes to shooting small groups. In fact, it's a very small part of the picture. Trigger control and sight alignment are the majority of it. If you aren't flinching, the absence of recoil isn't going to change much of anything.

Same thing with airsoft. I throw just as many mikes when hosing as I do in real life. Recoil control isn't my problem there, either. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It would seem to me there is not much to be gained if there is no recoil to contend with.

Actually the fact that there is very little recoil and muzzle flip with an Airsoft is one of its major virtues. For one thing, it's very hard, if you do all or most of your practice with live ammo, for even hardened shooters to not develop at least a bit of flinch. Airsoft gets you around that. But for the sort of shooting we do, probably the major Airsoft virtue is that, because there's little muzzle flip and because, in the overall scheme of things compared to a real gun, the sights are moving back-and-forth more slowly, it's much easier to watch the sights move through the entire arc of recoil. This seems to transition over to an improved ability to tract the sights once you switch back over to a real gun. It's a common experience with a shooter who stays away from live ammo for awhile and does copiious amounts of Airsoft practice that the next time they go to the range with live ammo, they find that not only has their speed improved, so has their accuracy at speed.

Every now and then, if I am really focusing on the frontsight, I see it lift very slightly, when shooting the pellet gun.

I am a few weeks into this experiment now, shooting freestyle/strong/weak groups every other day and recording the spread of my 10-rd groups.

My spreadsheet tells me that, especially SH and WH, groups have shrunk and are getting more consistent.

I also BELIEVE to have noticed that I have been picking up my sight in USPSA matches (real gun) a little faster with good accuracy. The biggest plus is that I can practice inside the house, avoiding the toasty Texas summer afternoons. B)

Butch, I don't do drills at all with the pellet gun. I do them with my normal gun or airsoft because the feel is so different. I got the airpistol out of curiosity, it was actually cheaper than my airsoft. It helps me work on a stable stance when shooting SH/WH, breathing, sight focus, trigger pull and follow through.

Edited by Team Amish 1