Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm Round Count

Chris_Andersen

So I have an M&P Pro with a Storm Lake match barrel and guide rod, Mike Cyrwus Trigger etc that I have put about 4000 rounds through with no real problems (except the occasional "slam-charge" discussed on this board).

I am wondering what sort of round counts everyone else has had through their gun, and if they have had any reliability issues or failures.

So I have an M&P Pro with a Storm Lake match barrel and guide rod, Mike Cyrwus Trigger etc that I have put about 4000 rounds through with no real problems (except the occasional "slam-charge" discussed on this board).

I am wondering what sort of round counts everyone else has had through their gun, and if they have had any reliability issues or failures.

34,000 through 9 (full-size, not pro). The only problem I've ever had was the mag dropping when my 11 year old shoots it with the mag release moved to the right side. I'm pretty sure his finger is hitting the release during recoil since it has never happened to me with the release on the left side.

I replace the stroker assembly a couple thousand rounds ago just because. I never had a problem, I just figured it was due.

I always get a "slam charge" and it always properly chambers a round.

My 9L has over 10k through it. One time the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag (but it was an IDPA night match and I had a flashlight in my hand so it could have been my fault.) And I recall one FTE during a practice when the gun was very dirty. That is it, I run the factory springs, still haven't changed them yet, and it just keeps on runnin.

I know one of my shooters had 10k throught his PRO in the first month that was almost 9 months ago, I haven't asked him latley how many he has through it, but I know it is a load and he has not had a problem.

edited to add:

I cannot make my gun slam charge, but my wife can (go figure) Her 9L slam charges for her everytime and has never failed to pick up a round.

Edited by Dan Burwell

• 2 weeks later...

My M&P9 has about 12000 rounds through it over two years of shooting and the only issue I ever had was in the first 200 rounds. I had a couple of FTE's. I think that could have been a simple break in or my extractor needed a drop of oil. I got in the habbit of putting a drop of very light oil on the extractor right before a match or range time.

I can say I have never had any issues.

Great gun.

Edited by vetts1911

My stock full size 9 has a little over 4k through it with one failure to feed after not cleaning it in over 1200 rounds. Once the feed ramp get grimy it slows down a bit, or so I have noticed.

My M&P9 has about 12000 rounds through it over two years of shooting and the only issue I ever had was in the first 200 rounds. I had a couple of FTE's. I think that could have been a simple break in or my extractor needed a drop of oil. I got in the habbit of putting a drop of very light oil on the extractor right before a match or range time.

I can say I have never had any issues.

Great gun.

My 9Pro is at 2150 rounds right now. When I got it brand new I took it out of the box, looked it over, lubed it and went shooting. It has not been cleaned or lubed since. I had one single light strike at about round 340 with WWB, and have not had a single issue since. 0 FTF, 0 FTE, it just runs and runs and runs. I'll clean and lube it again when it has a problem or hits 5000, whichever comes first.

All I've shot with it has been factory ammo, about 450 WWB, the rest being Blazer brass since it's cheap at wally world.

I got in the habbit of putting a drop of very light oil on the extractor right before a match or range time.

If a gun needs that, something is wrong ;)

I have put exactly 1, 149 rounds through my Pro. It has had one FTF in the first 100 rounds, one FTE (extract) at 145rds, another FTE at 360rds and the most recent FTE at 870rds. It's had nothing but factory ammo through it, Win Ranger 124gr FMJ, Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and AA&A 147gr JHP (new cases). It's had an FTE one time with each type of ammo.

Lest anybody start the argument that this isn't a common problem, in one thread alone on the M&P forum, 22 different posters (at last check) mentioned 26 different guns that were experiencing FTEs, and there are plenty of other threads on the issue. While I love the way the gun indexes, points, feel etc, I obviously don't have reason to trust it yet and that's almost certainly going to require changing the extractor, tweaking the spring and/or getting the chamber polished....just haven't had time to mess with that just yet. R,

I got in the habbit of putting a drop of very light oil on the extractor right before a match or range time.

If a gun needs that, something is wrong ;)

I have put exactly 1, 149 rounds through my Pro. It has had one FTF in the first 100 rounds, one FTE (extract) at 145rds, another FTE at 360rds and the most recent FTE at 870rds. It's had nothing but factory ammo through it, Win Ranger 124gr FMJ, Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and AA&A 147gr JHP (new cases). It's had an FTE one time with each type of ammo.

Lest anybody start the argument that this isn't a common problem, in one thread alone on the M&P forum, 22 different posters (at last check) mentioned 26 different guns that were experiencing FTEs, and there are plenty of other threads on the issue. While I love the way the gun indexes, points, feel etc, I obviously don't have reason to trust it yet and that's almost certainly going to require changing the extractor, tweaking the spring and/or getting the chamber polished....just haven't had time to mess with that just yet. R,

I have never had any FTF, but I have had a few FTE or not chamber completely. Those have only been my reloads though. As I am fairly new to reloading, I had been chalking it up to that. I have been running close to the lower limits of PF and changing springs periodically as well. I have now gone back to the factory spring weight and it seems to be better, also upping the power factor to 130. I expect that cant hurt either.

GOt a M and P when the first came out. At least 40 K through it. Instructor gun and competition gun. Almost all ammo is AA 115 andn 147. Some military NATo rounds and GOLD DOTS as well. I have have no problems with it other than the slide cracked. Called S & W and had brand new slide in one day. Have a 9L with maybe 4-5 K through it. Love these guns so far.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 5k through my FS M&P.

The striker broke recently and S&W mailed me a new one for free. I also started to get death jams with it with all types of ammo.

Got it back from S&W last week and they polished the chamber and replaced the extractor. Shot it last weekend and it is running great again.

Edited by Jeff9mmM&P

I have shot about 5000 rounds through my M&P9. I initially had 6 failures to extract in the first 300 rounds, all with Fiocchi ammo. I probably had an additional 4 failures to extract in the next 600 rounds using WWB and Remington ammo. At about 1000 rounds, I changed the recoil spring to 13 lbs. (for other reasons) and I haven’t had any more failures to extract. At about 2000 rounds I had one failure to feed, but I have a feeling that it was user induced (I probably pushed my right thumb against the slide during the recoil of the previous round).

I also have “shot” the pistol at least 20,000 times during dry fire practice, so I have broken two strikers. One failure occurred 7 months after I bought the gun, and the other failure came 7 months after that.

However, even with all these problems, I still love the pistol and completely trust it for local matches. (Although perhaps I would change my tune if I shot major matches or had to trust it with my life.)

I found out a few weeks ago one of my good friends has been averaging 2,000 rounds a week through his 9PRO since February. He has broken the trigger return spring twice in that time, one slide stop, and talking to him last night he somehow managed to melt the fiber rod in the front sight??? He said he ran a few mags through it fairly quickly and it "felt a little warm"

So doing some quick and probably lousy math that would be 54,000 rounds since feb. This is the same guy who had 10K through it in the first month. So he likely has 75-90K through his already since he got the gun last year about this time.

• 1 month later...
I found out a few weeks ago one of my good friends has been averaging 2,000 rounds a week through his 9PRO since February. He has broken the trigger return spring twice in that time, one slide stop, and talking to him last night he somehow managed to melt the fiber rod in the front sight??? He said he ran a few mags through it fairly quickly and it "felt a little warm"

So doing some quick and probably lousy math that would be 54,000 rounds since feb. This is the same guy who had 10K through it in the first month. So he likely has 75-90K through his already since he got the gun last year about this time.

8000 rounds

AD

Edited by sandman

Polished chamber, 13lb spring, SS guiderod. Zero issues since chamber work. 200 rounds per week since... November. 800 per month X 10 months. I'd guess 7000-8000 rounds.

Runnin' like a top. I'll probably change the striker at 10,000, since I dry fire some, and they're known to fail on occasion. Change the recoil spring too.

Jeff