Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf Slide

Joe D

I had a conversation with Robert about the 5" G21 slide legality. He told me that side is legal for CDP and ESP only if the slide does NOT have the hole in the top like a G34/35. Neither it nor any other LWD slides with front cocking serrations would be legal in SSP.

I sent him an email on the same matter a few weeks ago. To be legal in SSP, the replacement slide must in the same configuration as the original (no front serrations an no lightening cuts on non G34/35's) and must be true to that receiver (you could not put a LWD G34 slide on you G17 frame and shoot in SSP).

OK here comes the same dumb question I asked on the USPSA Production thread a few weeks ago - what difference does it make as to what frame you put the slide on?

The frames are exactly the same. Beyond that how can anyone tell what the frame started out as. Please no "Well you would know" dribble. Once again the frames are exactly the same.

Is Robert also saying that you can't put a Glock 34 upper on a G17 lower?

I don't get that either...no matter the sport.

A G17 frame and a G34 frame are identical, right?

So, for an aftermarket slide...as long as the aftermarket G17 slide is the same as the OEM G17 version...and as long as the aftermarket G34 slide is the same as the OEM G34 version... what is different?

When we start adding features (front cocking serrations) or cut outs (weight)...I can see were a line needs to be drawn.

The frames on the G17/17L/22/24/32/37 are all the exact same frame. They come out of the exact same mold and everything. (Probably the 18, too, but I don't know for sure so I'm not going to swear to that one.)

I see no evidence that is true. Anyway, why would you want to? If you've got a Glock 34, you've already got a "G17" lower. We don't need to be "clarified" on things that are common sense, right?

The frames on the G17/17L/22/24/32/37 are all the exact same frame. They come out of the exact same mold and everything. (Probably the 18, too, but I don't know for sure so I'm not going to swear to that one.)

I see no evidence that is true. Anyway, why would you want to? If you've got a Glock 34, you've already got a "G17" lower. We don't need to be "clarified" on things that are common sense, right?

Let's say I have a G-17 that is SSP legal.

Let's also say I have a G-34 that has had the frame modified that competes in USPSA Limited, L-10 and IDPA ESP.

Now let's say I want to try a G-34 in SSP. I have an SSP legal frame and an SSP legal slide. They just didn't get mated at the factory. I own an SSP G-34 and an ESP G-34, they do have different sights. One has a modified frame and one doesn't.

If I can't put a G-34 slide on a G-17 frame, I probably can't put my ESP fiber optic slide on my SSP night sight frame by the same logic. Or can I?

Duane, my wife mostly shoots a G17. We have a couple of G34s. Sometimes she wants to shoot a G34 length slide. It is much easier to just put one of the G34 slides on her frame. That way she has the same trigger pull.

From the email I got from Robert:

"You can not run a 34 slide on a 17 or use a Lone Wolf or other replacement slide with something like

front cocking serrations or other modifications".

I originally asked because I was going to buy a LWD G34 slide and barrel and put it on my G17 as a backup. I ended up trading my G17 for another G34, so I no longer have to worry about it. I agree with the lightening cuts and no front cocking serrations, but the frame thing puzzles me. I honestly have no idea how they could tell the difference between frames. Only thing I can think of is if the SN's don't match, but that does not mean anything.

Edited by prreed10

Since the Glock frame is not marked to indicate the model #, there is no way to say what model it came from. Buying a used glock frame, for example. It might have come from any one of several models but unless it came from a 34, you can't put a 34 top on it and use it in SSP? How would the shooter even know?

yeah that seems a little silly. I have a G17 that I have dedicated to when I shoot IDPA (VERY RARELY) and the old frame cracked and I got a new one from Glock, so hell my Serial # don't match. Sometimes these rules get a little overboard.

Even if you had a slide lightening and front cocking serrarations on a gun, I thought IDPA was about shoot what you carry, so if your carry gun is a G17 frame and a LW front serration slide, you can't shoot it?

Even if you had a slide lightening and front cocking serrarations on a gun, I thought IDPA was about shoot what you carry, so if your carry gun is a G17 frame and a LW front serration slide, you can't shoot it?

You could in ESP, but not in SSP.