Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Some Help With An 11-87

archangel

I've got an 11-87 Police model, originally came with an 18" barrel. I've since put a 26" barrel on it. I also put on a scattergun sidesaddle, big charging handle, +5 tube, and a dmw easyloader.

Ever putting that stuff on there, it's been short cycling. It will run about 80-90% of the time, but will occasionally stovepipe or close the bolt without feeding the next round. It also will never lock open after the last shot. It does this with every ammo I've tried (a variety of #8 and #7 1/2 shot, full house slugs, and magnum 00. Oddly, the 00 was the worst.)

At this point, I'm fairly certain (though not 100%) that it's the gas system. My reasoning is this: The original 18" bbl does not have the gas cylinder spring / pressure regluator thingy. It apparently uses all the gas for cycling the action, like an 1100 would. The newer 26" bbl has the spring. I'm thinking that it's venting off the "excess" gas, and as a result not enough is going into cycling the action.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? I've considered disabling the pressure regulator system (though all my ideas for doing so are kinda permanent, which would suck if that wasn't the problem). Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Try adding one of the gas activator rings. There is a thread about them here.

"The Activator Part # 1187 Super Mag Barrel Seal Activator Part # F201598. It doesn't seem to matter which way that you put it on, it works fine either way. Call Consumer Services Department at 1-800-243-9700, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm EST."

Hope that helps. It at least wouldn't be permanent.

I am no expert I will confess, but I have seen a few similar type problems on new or 'altered' guns. The immediate things that spring out, apart from the barrel, are the easyloader fitted and possibly the side saddle.

The immediate thing I would check out and get someone who is a regular player with the Remmy family to look at is the easyloader. On about 90% of Remmys that I have seen these newly fitted too, have severe problems as it alters the timing of the trigger mecs and especially the carrier latch that allows the gun to operate. Who fitted this and have they done it before as these are tricky things to get right. Often a tweak forward with a pair of pliers on the latch will move it a fraction forward and allow shells to hit it. Have you tried using the gun with the easyloader and the 18' barrel, and does it work fine ? If no I would say its the easyloader that needs looking at.

Is the shell saddle one that you tightern up using bolts that replace the trigger housing pins...if so have you done these up too much and is it pinching the frame at all.

I lean towards your views re the gas system and the gas spring around the barrel gas port. Have you compared the gas piston with a standard 11/87, I would imagine thay are the same. Have you tried a 26' 1100 barrel on the gun e.g one without the spring on the port. (I am trying to recall if an 11/87 barrel will work on an 1100 or it is vice versa, on recollection it may be that an 11/87 barrel will work on an 1100 but not the other way round).

A friend recently had teething problems with an 11/87 super mag where it had the same symptons you describe and a gunsmith sealed up one of the two vents from the barrel and it now cycles fine. It transpired there was too much gas coming back. However this is a permanent fix and one you cant really remove. It could easily what you have diagnosed and be the fact that there is not enough gas coming back that is causing faults. An alternative fix could be opening up the gas holes is whats required. Strangely enough on the super mag everyone thought there wasnt enough gas coming back as it was short stroking but it transpired the opposite was true, also the rounds were hanging up every 5th shot or so.

I realise this probably dont help that much, but I would really eliminate the easyloader before moving onto the barrel. I am seeing some Remmy experts this weekend and I will ask their views ! :wacko:

Good luck

Mike

Hi archangel

On 11-87 barrels (except slug barrels) there is a gas check valve on the welded on portion under the barrel. There should be a gas cylinder collar (shown in the schematic) If this is missing you will have problems as you describe.

The gas cylinder collar is the part you install last befor you put on the hand guard.

CJ16B303.jpg

archangel,

Has the barrel been broken in? I put in a new barrel on my 1100 and it choked on all kinds of ammo until I had shot through the barrel around 300-500 shells.

It still chokes (20%) on Winchester gray boxes but it runs 100% with the cheap Wolf ammo and the Remingtons (#8 or bigger).

Archangel,

Sahauptman has hit the problem exactly on the head if you dont have one of these, and it was so elementary I am kicking myself !! :rolleyes:

If you dont have one, the barrel with the gas spring regulator will not work. The 18' barrel doesnt need one as it is purely for the spring so you may not have got one with the gun when you bought it.

Mike

HI GUYS

I just thought i would add my bit for what its worth, the gas cylinder collar would certainly cause cycling problems, but is not fitted to the super magnum model at all, failing to hold open at all after each shot poiints to the easy loader, I have fitted quite a few & its a common fault the small tang that sticks up from the carrier is probably not engaging far enough into the carrier latch.

hope this helps

Neil

It's funny. I've asked about this a couple different places, and someone always asks about the collar. The collar is on there.

The side saddle is the bolt-through-the-reciever variety, and I did consider that it might be pinching. But by the end of my last shooting session, the bolts were about a turn and a half less than finger tight (ie working themselves loose) so I figure they couldn't have been too terribly tight to begin with.

I did the easyloader install myself. I'm pretty sure it was working with the 18" bbl, but I'm going to double check that (among other things) this weekend.

Hey Trig,

Up for winning at the weekend or are you going to use Kurt's excuse of a freak accident causing a poorly eye ? :D

James and Bazza are neck to neck in the title for Champion and its going to be an emotional weekend, I plan to scupper their plans of world domination by beating them both again :P ......just tell the rain gods to go play somewhere else !!!

See you Saturday.

Mike

Sorry, Archangel for going off thread, I couldnt resist saying hello to Neil !

Mike45:

I think if you weren't as far away as the U.K. I would thrash you thuroughly for calling my son a freak!!! After all it was his finger that caused all the mayhem with the old ocular sphere, 1A 1 each. By the way, it is still infected and I am on a antibiotic for the next month. It never did clear up all the way. On another note I have sent you quite a few E-Mails and no reply! Are they getting through?? The same goes for Neil. Is they is? Or is they not? How is Steve doing? Well befor I get yelled at, I might as well chime in on the 11-876 deal.

Check the action bar for a hair line crack on one of the arms and where they join the part of the action bar that goes around the mag tube. Also check the locking lug on the action bar... where the bolt handle is retained, for chipping or peening or a crack. Make sure the mag spring is good and has enough tension to shoot a shell out of the mag with authority. Good luck! KURT

........and I just thought you were upset that your good lady wanted to come over and visit me on her own.... :wub:

Yep your e mail is buggered, I have sent you a load as well. I will pass on your regards to the boys. I cant believe you are still making excuses about that phoney story re your eye, I might try that this weekend if I aint doing so well. :D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also trying to overcome some cycling problems with light loads in an 1187 and would offer a suggestion that seems to have cured the problem for me...I slightly modified the gas cylinder collar thing by bending the end of one side so its is in contact with the gas release spring. I bent the other side about 1/2 way to the release spring and wedged in a small neoprene "o" ring to give the release spring a little more tension before it opens... shot about 100 rounds at a match today and seems to show promise... the "o" ring stayed in place... I had planned on making a couple of cuts with a cut off wheel, and bend a little tab down to locate the center of the "o" ring...

related question... has anybody substituted an 1187 bolt in an 1100 to get the benefit of the beefier extractor?

regards Les

No, because if you put the 11-87 bolt in an 1100 you would smash the larger extractor trying to fit it into the smaller 1100 barrel extracter slot. Unless of course you also swapped barrels.. Then you would have problems with the different gas mechanism.. etc..

Rich

I am wondering why you want a 26" barrel? If you are shooting Limited division, you can only load 8+1 and you will probably experience the thrill of a really tight doorway or hall where you are trying to maneuver.

I found a part in Brownells, It is a Nu-Line gas ring system with a Teflon seal. My 1187 SPS will when clean and lubed cycle light loads, without any other modifications. I did have a timing problem on the speed gate that I had to have professionally tweaked.

Bigger items are trimming the gate length and relieving the bottom of the tube a bit to facilitate faster/smoother loading.