Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 22 Upper

I received a pair of STI 22 uppers today. Mounted one of them and am going to give it a workout tomorrow. I have to say I am more jazzed over these uppers than anything I have played with in a long time.

What with all the ammo and component problems this will work out really well for at least an amount of gun handling.

Our plate rack will get some serious work out in the near future.

Edited by Gary Stevens

I received a pair of STI 22 uppers today. Mounted one of them and am going to give it a workout tomorrow. I have to say I am more jazzed over these uppers than anything I have played with in a long time.

What with all the ammo and component problems this will work out really well for at least an amount of gun handling.

Our plate rack will get some serious work out in the near future.

I await your report... :cheers:

Will the TS 2022s work on a STI Range Master .45ACP single stack or a SVI .40?

I've got a Tactical Solutions 2022 !! :cheers:

Great for practicing shooting on the move as well as 50yd. stuff (acuracy)..

Will the TS 2022s work on a STI Range Master .45ACP single stack or a SVI .40?
I've got a Tactical Solutions 2022 !! :cheers:

Great for practicing shooting on the move as well as 50yd. stuff (acuracy)..

Website?

OK, short range report on the STI 22 top end.

The slide stop pin is two pieces. By that I mean the pin that goes through the frame is one piece and the piece that locks the slide open is another. When I first assembled them, I discovered that the pin that goes through the frame would not go all the way in flush.

A phone call to STI solved the problem. When you first put the slide on put the safety on. This relieves pressure from the plunger spring and allows you to gentley manuver the slide stop around, while keeping steady pressure on the pin. After about 10 seconds of manipulation the pin easily poped in flush. What happens is the plunger spring pushes the part that holds the slide open out of position. When that pressure is released, no problems at all.

After learning the "touch" this part takes about 5 seconds to accomplish.

After finishing the installation process, which requires the guide rod to be gently snugged up, I was ready to head to the range.

Not a big afternoon, I put about 150 rounds through two units. Easily hitting 22 size dualing tree targets from 15 yards. No malfunctions at all with either unit. Easy sight adjustment, with the Bo-Mar style rear sight.

Very nice, I am a happy camper.

I know there are other very good 22 units available. Since I shoot STI guns, I thought it was a logical choice.

Added information: I have found out that the STI 22 units are slightly wider than a normal STI slide. I can't get the 22 unit to fit in any of my Blade Tech type/style holsters. If you are using a race type set up, no problem. However, if you are shooting SS I now need a new holster :surprise:

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

• 2 weeks later...
OK, short range report on the STI 22 top end.

The slide stop pin is two pieces. By that I mean the pin that goes through the frame is one piece and the piece that locks the slide open is another. When I first assembled them, I discovered that the pin that goes through the frame would not go all the way in flush.

A phone call to STI solved the problem. When you first put the slide on put the safety on. This relieves pressure from the plunger spring and allows you to gentley manuver the slide stop around, while keeping steady pressure on the pin. After about 10 seconds of manipulation the pin easily poped in flush. What happens is the plunger spring pushes the part that holds the slide open out of position. When that pressure is released, no problems at all.

After learning the "touch" this part takes about 5 seconds to accomplish.

After finishing the installation process, which requires the guide rod to be gently snugged up, I was ready to head to the range.

Not a big afternoon, I put about 150 rounds through two units. Easily hitting 22 size dualing tree targets from 15 yards. No malfunctions at all with either unit. Easy sight adjustment, with the Bo-Mar style rear sight.

Very nice, I am a happy camper.

I know there are other very good 22 units available. Since I shoot STI guns, I thought it was a logical choice.

Added information: I have found out that the STI 22 units are slightly wider than a normal STI slide. I can't get the 22 unit to fit in any of my Blade Tech type/style holsters. If you are using a race type set up, no problem. However, if you are shooting SS I now need a new holster :surprise:

Gary

Gary, do you have anything else to add to this, have you had any/many malf's with it, how are the poly mags holding up, did you find a holster? How errm... convenient that it doesn't fit in a regular holster, can nothing just work?

As far as I know the STI uppers are just rebadged Advantage Arms Kits. I have the AA kit I bought about three months ago and have probably 3,000 rounds through it less than a dozen stoppages.

I've got two mags and they both drop free from my STI trojan although they did have to be trimmed a little bit to fit with the techwell.

Fits in my comptac holster just fine.

One thing I really like about this kit is the way the mags are loaded. On the base of the follower theres a hole to stick a small piece of aluminum rod through to pull the follower down. This makes loading mags take about a second a piece and eliminates the complaints about finger blisters with some of the other kits.

Edited by rrflyer

As far as I know the STI uppers are just rebadged Advantage Arms Kits. I have the AA kit I bought about three months ago and have probably 3,000 rounds through it less than a dozen stoppages.

I've got two mags and they both drop free from my STI trojan although they did have to be trimmed a little bit to fit with the techwell.

One thing I really like about this kit is the way the mags are loaded. On the base of the follower theres a hole to stick a small piece of aluminum rod through to pull the follower down. This makes loading mags take about a second a piece and eliminates the complaints about finger blisters with some of the other kits.

Tthe STI .22 upper I just bought from www.shootersconnection.com is a rebadged Marvel Precision product, not Advantage Arms. There is a small stamp on the right rear part of the slide that says Marvel Precision. It works flawlessly with CCI Mini mags. I bought an extra mag as well. I can shoot all day with it for about $30 worth of ammo. It's great for practicing.

Tthe STI .22 upper I just bought from www.shootersconnection.com is a rebadged Marvel Precision product, not Advantage Arms. There is a small stamp on the right rear part of the slide that says Marvel Precision. It works flawlessly with CCI Mini mags. I bought an extra mag as well. I can shoot all day with it for about $30 worth of ammo. It's great for practicing.

Hmm, I thought one of the Skinnergrams mentioned they were designed by Bob Marvel for STI, but that Bob has sold Marvel Precision.

Regardless, they look like excellent kits.

I may be wrong about it but the boxes/setups look exactly the same

STI

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDeta...08C1-1211917960

Advantage Arms

http://www.advantagearms.com/default.aspx?tabid=57

I guess I should say that I bought the standard model where the whole slide moves unlike the target model where just a portion moves.

Also I think after selling the Marvel Precision patent Bob Marvel designed the advantage arms kit.

Mine runs golden bullets without a hiccup! 20 bucks for 500 rounds is sure nice!

I am having KyTac make me a couple of holsters that will accommodate the STI 22 on a single stack and a LHDC gun.

I had to send the upper to Dave to make the holsters, so I haven't shot it since the last report.

My son has been shooting his, and is very satisfied, I am also.

I haven't been dropping the mags yet, although I think they will be fine if it doesn't hit on concrete or some really hard surface.

Gary

The whole Marvel thing is kind of hard to explain. Yes, Marvel is working with STI to make their 2011 conversion uppers. Yes he did sell the Marvel Precision company some time ago, and I think there was a "no compete" contract involved with that, which has evidently expired. If you buy the "Marvel" unit from Marvel Precision, it's his old design. I prefer the Tac Sol units over the new STI/Marvel job.

• 5 months later...

Bob Marvel Custom

Looks like Bob Marvel Custom (not Marvel Precision) is making both the AA and STI systems. There's great ammo and recoil spring reliability information under the Ammo Tests tab.

I have an STI + 4 mags en route from Shooters Connection. I stopped by Dawson Precision this morning and they were backordered for 6 weeks. I saved lots of $$$ in the shipping vs. sales tax department, so a short wait is ok. SC's site said everything was in stock. :)

edited to add: I ordered after hours yesterday and I got a "your order has shipped" message first thing this AM. That's superior.

Edited by Steve J

UPS delivered my STI upper this evening. In addition to the STI markings on the slide, the right side of the slide just above the thumb safety carries the "Robert Marvel Custom Pistols" emblem. The oil is Advantage Arms oil and the magazines are Advantage Arms magazines.

The magazines have extended wide bases simlar to Tripp Cobra mags and Wilson ETM mags. They are perfect with a S&A mag well.

I'm off to the range tomorrow. Perfect timing. The morning low will be in the 50's with the afternoon high approaching 70. :D

• 2 months later...

Update: Nearly 800 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through my STI marketed Advantage Arms - Bob Marvel Custom. I've had less than one FTF during each 125 round local Steel Challenge match. As long as I remember to start with my support hand thumb well away from the slide, it runs 100% with the CCI Standard Velocity rounds, which Bob Marvel's site indicates is also one of the most consistently accurate. The FTFs were all on the first round to strip out of the magazine because I thumbed the slide.

Can you please post some pictures with the 22 conversion on.

I was thinking of ordering one for my STI Rangemaster. Since it has a full length dust cover I thought the tactical solutions might look better?

It sounds like all 3 are good conversions.

Sorry, not photo capable. The STI has standard Government Model slide cuts, so on a 1911 frame with standard length dust cover from a distance it looks like a any other 1911 except for the ejection port and barrel hood.

• 3 months later...

Don't know about the C-more, but at $25 per mag there's no reason not to load up on the Advantage Arms polymer mags that are made for it. They work 100%. Talking single column of course.

This scope mount is available to replace the iron sight shroud Scope Mount, but aren't C-mores normally on a frame mount?