Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Windows Movie Maker

badchad

Is there anyway (preferably free and simple) to get Windows Movie Maker to work with my Sony Hard Disk Drive Handycam?

From reading on the web it seems Movie Maker won't work with the MPEG2 format that videos are saved on in my Sony. When I inport the videos it shows them playing but I get neither sound nor audio. I downloaded a free video converted and converted some vids to AVI and when I import those into Movie Maker I get sound but still no video? Any way to make this work or some other video editing software that will make it easy. I'm only mildly computer literate. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

In Picture Motion Browser (the software that came with your Handycam) select the video file, click on Manipulate, then Convert to WMV and Save...

Then, open the saved file in Movie Maker.

:D

I tried ong45’s idea but could not get it to work. Sharyn when I click “manipulate” in Motion Picture Browser I get a drop down menu of options but none that I can tell let me convert to WMV. Am I missing something?

I downloaded a trial version of Sony Vegas but it seems rather involved and overkill for what I’m trying to do. I sure would like to get Movie Maker to work.

I typed in "convert" in Picture Motion Browsers help menu and among other things it said this:

"For the DVD video quality upon writing on a DVD, select either high quality or standard from the drop-down list when media files to write to a disc need to be converted or files are still images. (MPEG-2 format videos cannot be converted.)"

So does that mean I'm screwed?

I tried ong45’s idea but could not get it to work. Sharyn when I click “manipulate” in Motion Picture Browser I get a drop down menu of options but none that I can tell let me convert to WMV. Am I missing something?

I downloaded a trial version of Sony Vegas but it seems rather involved and overkill for what I’m trying to do. I sure would like to get Movie Maker to work.

What version of Picture Motion Browser are you running? Older versions don't have the convert option and you have to update. (Mine's version 3.0.00.11220)

I finally ended up buying Vegas so I wouldn't have to waste all the time, effort and hard drive space with the conversion process.

You're not screwed... I'll help you through this... ;) (been there done that)

What version of Picture Motion Browser are you running? Older versions don't have the convert option and you have to update. (Mine's version 3.0.00.11220)

I finally ended up buying Vegas so I wouldn't have to waste all the time, effort and hard drive space with the conversion process.

You're not screwed... I'll help you through this... ;) (been there done that)

Thanks Sharyn! I downloaded the newest version of PMB from Sony.com and everything worked like you said: