Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Windows7

vluc

My XP system was getting a tad cludgy, so rather than do a re-install, I thought I'd give the Windows7 RC1 a run. So I popped in an extra HD I had, swapped the power and cable from the old primary to this new one, and voila.

Wow!

I have Vista on a work computer, XP on all of the rest (as well as home), and like what Microsoft has put out. Quick and easy install (less than 20 minutes clean install), recognition of virtually all equipment with the ability to run in XP mode for those items that cannot run under Vista.

I was and am impressed the more I use it. So much so that I loaded it on a spare work system as our medical management software system plans to migrate to W7 after the October 22 release. testing it with all kinds of stuff and haven't made it crash yet. Seems when it gets into a situation, it shuts down the window, then reopens it on its own...like Firefox if it shuts down unexpectedly.

Any other users get a chance to play with it? Curious on your feedback.

When I heard the same person who "re-designed" office into 2007 was also in charge of Win7...I was discouraged. Office 2007 took something very familiar to hardcore office users (think spreadsheet geeks) and changed the "manual of arms" entirely...File:Open no longer exists ?!

I'm glad to hear a good story re: Windows, but for me - I'm slipping away to the dark side... <_<

My XP system was getting a tad cludgy, so rather than do a re-install, I thought I'd give the Windows7 RC1 a run. So I popped in an extra HD I had, swapped the power and cable from the old primary to this new one, and voila.

Wow!

I have Vista on a work computer, XP on all of the rest (as well as home), and like what Microsoft has put out. Quick and easy install (less than 20 minutes clean install), recognition of virtually all equipment with the ability to run in XP mode for those items that cannot run under Vista.

I was and am impressed the more I use it. So much so that I loaded it on a spare work system as our medical management software system plans to migrate to W7 after the October 22 release. testing it with all kinds of stuff and haven't made it crash yet. Seems when it gets into a situation, it shuts down the window, then reopens it on its own...like Firefox if it shuts down unexpectedly.

Any other users get a chance to play with it? Curious on your feedback.

I,ve been testing it since January, starting with the Build 7000 Beta, and now running the build 7100 RC. My goal was to test it on older computers that would not be able to run Vista. Test machine is a 2.8 Gig P4, 800 MHZ bus, 2 IDE drives, 2 Gigs of ram, Nvidia GeForce 6200 8x AGP card. Win 7 will run circles around XP on this machine, and is installed with all features turned on. The Beta had some networking issues, but new updates within 2 weeks of release fixed that. After that issue was resolved, this platform was running rock solid. Very compatible with older hardware and software. I was even able to run Office 2000 on this sytem, with the exception of Outlook, but with some hacking, I got that working also. I was also able to manually install some software, and hack the XP registry keys into the Win 7 registry without any issues. I installed the RC release as a dual boot with XP and everything is working fine. FYI, the RC release is not as friendly to older software, but is still pretty good. The Beta version ran more older programs without issues. The biggest current issue is the lack of printer drivers from HP (they write the drivers to check OS version before installation, and report invalid operating system and abort) for my printer, thus I cannot access my network printer. Vluc, are you running the XP virual mode?

Larry Eckert

Vluc, are you running the XP virtual mode?

Larry Eckert

This cpu is not compatible with it according to the analyzer. Planning on building a whole new system come October, so I should find it better suited to do. looking at a core 2 quad for the new one.

I just added an HP C6380 to the system and it went up with zero problems.

Edited by vluc

A friend of mine ran the Beta on a core 2 quad with 8 gigs of ram, and he said at was lightning fast.

My cpu is also not compatible with XP virtual mode, but if anyone has tried it, I would like to hear the reports.

Larry

Is Windows7 similar to Vista in appearance?

Are the harware requirements the same?

I have Vista 64-bit that suffers "issues" with certain hardware devices.

Is replacing it with Windows7 an option?

It looks similar to me.

I downloaded Sun's free and excellent opensource VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) VM platform and genned Windows 7 RC1 as a guest machine underneath that (1g virtual ram, 64mg video). It looks all right. Haven't poked at it much. He couldn't come up with sound drivers for Win7 on this "machine" but I blame that on whatever xVM presents as a virtual sound card. (Ubuntu Linux is able to come up with sound under xVM, however.) I had previously played around with Beta 2 for the sole purpose of seeing if EzWinScore would run on it as is, and it did. Haven't tried it on RC1 yet.

Is Windows7 similar to Vista in appearance?

Are the harware requirements the same?

I have Vista 64-bit that suffers "issues" with certain hardware devices.

Is replacing it with Windows7 an option?

Looks like Win7 is what Vista should have been. I'll be going the 64-bit path on my new machine. You can dl the RC1 as a 64-bit and dual boot to see how it is on your machine (if you feel comfortable doing that), but I'll be adding the 64 to the Vista machine I have at work once the new release comes out.

Downside - at this point - to the RC1 is that you will have to do a clean install of the final product, though I am sure someone will find a work-around for that one.

• 4 months later...

Couple "minor" issues with our new Win7 64 bit machine. Adobes flash player (Shock-wave) freezes web pages. <_< And Google Chrome doesn't have a Win7 version that I can find. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it.

Jim

Couple "minor" issues with our new Win7 64 bit machine. Adobes flash player (Shock-wave) freezes web pages. <_< And Google Chrome doesn't have a Win7 version that I can find. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it.

Jim

From what I've been able to gather the only solution is to wait or use the 32 bit version of IE built into 7. Firefox hasn't been giving me any issues either. Oddly enough Adobe is WAY behind the power curve. It's like they didn't know Microsoft was coming out with a new OS. :sick:

I haven't tried Chrome ever so I have no ideas other than try a Vista version and see if that works.

When I heard the same person who "re-designed" office into 2007 was also in charge of Win7...I was discouraged. Office 2007 took something very familiar to hardcore office users (think spreadsheet geeks) and changed the "manual of arms" entirely...File:Open no longer exists ?!

I'm glad to hear a good story re: Windows, but for me - I'm slipping away to the dark side... <_<

I felt the same way about the new office but after using it a while it is a vast improvement. It is by far the best word processing software I have ever used.

Jim

From what I've been able to gather the only solution is to wait or use the 32 bit version of IE built into 7. Firefox hasn't been giving me any issues either. Oddly enough Adobe is WAY behind the power curve. It's like they didn't know Microsoft was coming out with a new OS. :sick:

I haven't tried Chrome ever so I have no ideas other than try a Vista version and see if that works.

:wacko: I un-installed Adobe's Flash player and reinstalled it from their website. Seems to be working....now. We shall see.

Jim

I have been using Win 7 (64 bit) for several months now. One of the first things I noticed was that Chrome did not work on it. I use Chrome almost exclusively. Found the below fix and have noticed no further issues.

1. Right Click on Google Chrome Icon

2. Add –in-process-plugins after chrome.exe in Target field.

3. Click Apply and save change.

4. Now start Google Chrome and it should work on your Windows 7 64 Bit Version

It should look like this,

oglechromewindows764bitversion-vi.png

I set up my main computer for dual boot and installed Win7, both 32 and 64 bit versions and have no real complaints. There were a couple really old programs that wouldn't run under the 64 bit version but I didn't find anything that wouldn't work under the 32 bit version (I did have to upgrade a couple things).

For anyone planning on switching, if you don't have a dual core processor with 4 gb of ram, you will still be able to run it, but won't get full advantage. Also, consider your versions carefully. The 64 bit version is of very little use to most people as there is very little software that will take advantage of it and very few people need the extra memory it can address.

If you are buying a new computer (like I will early next year), look for one with a separate graphics card with it's own memory rather than one that uses shared memory, the extra cost is worth it.

For anyone planning on switching, if you don't have a dual core processor with 4 gb of ram, you will still be able to run it, but won't get full advantage. Also, consider your versions carefully. The 64 bit version is of very little use to most people as there is very little software that will take advantage of it and very few people need the extra memory it can address.

The laptop I bought earlier this year is 64 bit Vista system that I struggled with for awhile over issues with 3rd party devices...HP printer, UPS label printer, Western Digital Passport Elite USB drive. When I called for technical support I was told that those devices were not supported on 64 bit and that all future computers would be 64 bit. There was no real solution to the problems I was having.

It is an AMD dual processor with 4 GB of memory and it runs painfully slow. What is the possible if any advantage to a 64 bit system?

Waaaaaa, I want my Windows XP back! :huh:

I felt the same way about the new office but after using it a while it is a vast improvement. It is by far the best word processing software I have ever used.

Maybe so, but there's no reason they couldn't have kept the same look and feel as 2003 and prior. I've used word and excel for 15 years or so. Last year our company switched to office 2007 and after more than a year I still can't find things the old software could do. Thank goodness the old menu shortcut keys still work (ALT E-I-D = fill down, etc.)

I made the mistake of upgrading to Vista at home and have regretted it ever since. I feel like a fool for trusting them on 7, but maybe they finally got it right.