Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
creeknole

1911, STI and plastic trigger

I am new to the sport of pistol shooting. A good friend thankfully got me started and l love it. I was looking to put between $800 and $1200 in a 1911 45acp and start shooting it. I hear STI is a great gun, but what about the trigger is it not steel? and does that make any difference. Also, are they built on the basic 1911 style and are parts easy to get.?

1911 parts are everywhere, I think even Safeway and Wal-Mart sell parts for them ;) Don't worry about the plastic trigger in the STI guns, they will last the life of the gun. And yes, the guns are built off the standard 1911 design.

1911 parts are everywhere, I think even Safeway and Wal-Mart sell parts for them ;) Don't worry about the plastic trigger in the STI guns, they will last the life of the gun. And yes, the guns are built off the standard 1911 design.

Thanks for the advice. Do you have an opinion on the best gun for the amount of money I want to spend? I hear the STI's are the best but would you recommned this or another, opinion appreciated.

Edited by creeknole

I'd get a Trojan with ambi's from Brazos and have him do his reliability check, trigger work and his fiber optic front. Get some mags and you're good to go.

Have you ever considered getting a .40? Components (brass/bullets) are more plentiful and cheaper and you'll still be shooting major if you want.

I have read that the 45 is a more dependable cartridge than the 40 and doesnt jam as much? Also just wondering, why would STI use those plastic parts are they that much cheaper and reliable.

Now that you're getting into the competition side of things, it's time to forget everything you've heard or thought you knew about guns. These guys are the smartest, most knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to pistols, and they test everything to the last breath. Curious about a technique? Someone has run it against a timer over and over and over. Curious about a piece of equipment? Five people have used it for years, three have broken it, and two were the ones who made it.

So, re: jamming, there's no difference really in caliber. In a crap gun a big roundnose .45 will feed more easily than a flat .40, but all of our guns run close to 100%, regardless. If you buy an STI as suggested, it will be in shape to run nearly perfectly from the start, provided you don't feed it bad ammo.

So welcome, and don't sweat the equipment! Looks like you're off to a good start, and if you get hooked, then the next thing you need will be a reloading setup. Forget the extra guns until then.

H.

Now that you're getting into the competition side of things, it's time to forget everything you've heard or thought you knew about guns. These guys are the smartest, most knowledgeable people in the world when it comes to pistols, and they test everything to the last breath. Curious about a technique? Someone has run it against a timer over and over and over. Curious about a piece of equipment? Five people have used it for years, three have broken it, and two were the ones who made it.

So, re: jamming, there's no difference really in caliber. In a crap gun a big roundnose .45 will feed more easily than a flat .40, but all of our guns run close to 100%, regardless. If you buy an STI as suggested, it will be in shape to run nearly perfectly from the start, provided you don't feed it bad ammo.

So welcome, and don't sweat the equipment! Looks like you're off to a good start, and if you get hooked, then the next thing you need will be a reloading setup. Forget the extra guns until then.

H.

Thanks for the great advice. please explain bad ammo?

ammo that is made out of spec. most of the serious guys on this forum reload their own ammo, mainly because of the economy of it and second is to get ammo that fits their guns. i;ll go out on a limb here and say that only about 20% of the reloaders i meet or talk to know what a case gauge is. it is a round cylindrical piece of steel that is machined on the inside just like your barrel's chamber. you drop your reloaded ammo into the case gage. if it fits, it should work in your gun. if it doesn't fit, chances are pretty good it won't work in your gun. the gun will jam. if it is not bad ammo causing the gun to jam, then my #2 guess would be the magazines, then #3 is the shooter, and finally #4 is gun itself

I would get an STI and have it tuned by Brazos or Dawson how you want it.

Another option is Les Baer, his will be a little more expensive and it would be a fairly long wait...

Ammo out of spec, or ammo loaded too soft for your springs. For instance, a Glock mag can only handle .40 caliber ammo loaded out to 1.16" or so, then they start jamming the mag, whereas 1911 widebody mags can go quit a bit longer. With factory ammo, there's little excuse for a gun not to work 100% unless extremely dirty.

H.

You might also consider picking up a used 1911 off this forum. There are always good deals to be had in the classifieds.

You could get the Sentry (which has an ambi-safety and magwell and the front strap is checkered) from Brazos and have them do the High Performance Package. And have the Dawson or Brazos sight installed maybe go with a full length guide rod,the Sentry comes with the recoil master which I do not care for.

The Trojan does not have an ambi-safety or magwell and the stippled front strap is well not that great.

:cheers:

BK