Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Loads For Production

Hungry Beagle

Okay, after 4 years of shooting an open Foo-Foo gun, I decided to try shooting Production with a Glock 22. After spending a whole bunch of time trying to find a minor load (everybody seems to be trying to find ways of getting hotter and faster instead) we finally decided on 3.6 grains of Titegroup under a 180grn jacketed bullet.

Other than the fact that the powder takes up so little case volume, has anybody run into any problems shooting that little powder in a case?

For light loads like this, do you need to reduce the recoil spring?

Anyone have a starting place for Unique, under a 180gr? I was thinking of a PF of around 140.

(I usually use TiteGroup, but have a few pounds of Unique to use)

I tested N320, N340, 7625, Universal Clays and Clays in both the 180 and 165 loads, all at or about 133 pf. Test gun was a Glock 35 with a stock, but much shot, recoil spring. I found the 180g behind 3.2g of Clays to be the softest, and even softer than the lightest load I had in a Glock 34. If I were to shoot a Glock in production, I'd use a 35 with this load.

With Win Super Field I use 5.0 grains with a jacketed 180 bullet. This is about 135 power factor. I stopped there because it was the lightest load my stock (pretty new recoil spring) G35 would cycle. It's pretty soft and seems to be very accurate. I am working on loads for Tightgroup now. Right now for a lead 180 (only out of my Barsto barreled G35) I use 3.3 grains of Tightgroup. It's very soft, not as accurate as the jacketed, smokey, and the bullet lube gums up the chamber. Going back to jacketed or maybe try some plated.

Jake,

My notes show 4.3 Grains giving me a 135 power factor using VV N340, a Hornady HAP 180 grain bullet at 1.126 OAL. My comment for this are "Fed Well with stock spring, snappy but returns to point of aim well".

Using the same overall length, 4.9 grains behind a Star 155 grain was giving me a 123 pf. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything hotter for that session (my tests included 3 seperate days behind the chrono), but I felt that this load was way too snappy to persue the N340 / 155g combination any further. Notes are "Too snappy, even at this low a pf".

Note: Test gun was a basically stock G35 with a well broken in, original spring.

Hope this helps.

Bucky.

It should be noted that my tests were all done using 8 shot averages. No highs or lows were factored out, though with VV you rarely get such spikes. Chrono was a CED and chronographing was done indoor using the infared screens.