Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If shooting in minor, is there any advantage to a higher PF

I'm just starting IPSC with a stock Springfield Armory 38 super. As I understand, I'll be shooting in the minor class because of the 40cal. rule. Since the 38 super can be loaded to a much higher PF, is there anything to be gained by loading higher than the minimum required to make minor? The gun has no comp. so that won't be a factor. Also, how much of a cushion do you give yourself in being above the minimum power required? If minor is 125 how close do you cut it?

I'll bet we get some good answers from the IDPA side.  I think many load to about 135pf.  There are certainly loads that are accurate at minor power.  

You'll what to make sure you gun is setup to run at that power level.  (No heavy-duty recoil springs and such.)  

After verifying there were no reliability or accuracy factors, I found that I liked the feel of the action much better on my G34 when loading to a 140+ power instead of a 127.  The gun just felt sluggish at 127 as compared to 140.  Increased recoil was a non-issue.

Sidetracker,

I shoot a limited 40 for Steel Challenge and load way down on the pf scale.   I was looking for accuracy, slide speed and low recoil.  With a floor being in place for IPSC, that is where I would start.

Try different loads at about 1100 ft/sec with a 115gr JHP.  Check out Jeff Maass' website. It has lots of loads for 38 super including minor ones.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/index.html

good luck