Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Magazines in Idaho, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada and New Mexico

In California it's generally frowned upon (though there are indications that it is legal) to carry loaded magazines in the car. So I only load and unload magazines at the range. I don't preload them at home or go back home with them loaded.

When I go out of state to shoot matches I usually go to Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho and New Mexico.

In these states can a non-CCW holder have loaded magazines (the magazines are out of the firearm) in their moving vehicles? Legally and/or by "general knowledge?"

What I mean by "general knowledge" is: Would the average cop in that state deem it to be acceptable/legal?

In CA it's most likely legal... but the rank and file cop probably doesn't think it is. So in the in the end, while you may be vindicated, you would have to go through the wringer...

In NM, you'd be fine. In fact, a non-CCW holder can have a loaded gun concealed in the vehicle as it's considered an extension of your home. No need to tell the officer if you get stopped, but if it's in the glove box I'd mention it before taking out the registration ;)

I haven't ever thought about whether it applies (loaded gun, not mags) to non-residents, but it should be easy to find out from the NMSP website (they're pretty good about posting that stuff). Mags I wouldn't worry about at all. R,

In California it's generally frowned upon (though there are indications that it is legal) to carry loaded magazines in the car. So I only load and unload magazines at the range. I don't preload them at home or go back home with them loaded.

When I go out of state to shoot matches I usually go to Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho and New Mexico.

In these states can a non-CCW holder have loaded magazines (the magazines are out of the firearm) in their moving vehicles? Legally and/or by "general knowledge?"

What I mean by "general knowledge" is: Would the average cop in that state deem it to be acceptable/legal?

In CA it's most likely legal... but the rank and file cop probably doesn't think it is. So in the in the end, while you may be vindicated, you would have to go through the wringer...

Legal in AZ. So is open carry, except for schools and places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.