Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Bullet weight is best for USPSA?

As a new shooter, I reply on the input from experienced minds. The question is this...what is your favorite bullet weight for competition shooting? I shoot a Glock 34 in Production class and I reload, so any bullet/powder/primer combo's that you can suggest would be great.

I have moved up to Montana Gold 124gr FMJ and like them a great deal. After attending Bianchi CUp this past week, I read that Glock Superman Dave Sevigney uses 147gr sub-sonic loads (around 970 fps). If it's good enough for Dave???

I, like most of us fight with accuracy, so ideas and suggestions or anything that can lighten the recoil without reducing performance would be welcomed.

So...what's the best and why?

I am shooting the 147gr 'black bullets' in my Model 17. They get loaded with VV N340 and are running a little over 900. A lot of folks are using the N320 but I started out with the N340 and it seems to work fine for me. Not quite as 'snappy' in my opinion, but some like it.

And I have it on good advice that the same load will work PERFECT in my SBR 9mm AR I am building. :cheers:

and just for your amusement 'zhunter'..... I flicked at that bug twice on my monitor.... your icon..... Too funny

Edited by MrClean

I like 124g bullets. Lots of good recipes out there for this bullet weight and its a popular weight so readily available. If you do a search you will find alot of information on loading 9mm minor.

All I can say is that what works for Dave S may not work for you. You got to find out what feels good to you in your gun. Only way to do that is shoot lots and reload with different recipes.

All I can say is that what works for Dave S may not work for you. You got to find out what feels good to you in your gun. Only way to do that is shoot lots and reload with different recipes.

Well put. I began with 115 WWB and off the shelf stuff. Started to reload, used 115, then 124, then 135, then 147, back to 135 for a bit, then returned and have stayed at 147. Nothing to do with Dave S., just found that I liked the way the gun ran with the 147's. My G34 thanked me!

The trend is to use heavy bullets and a fast powder for non-compensated guns and lighter bullets and slower powder for compensated guns.

A common bullet for production 9mm is the 147gr. Loaded with a fast burning powder, it easily makes the PF without producing a ton of recoil and does a good job of knocking down steel poppers.

I started out using 124gr. Then switched to 147's because they were softer feeling. But then I went back to 124 because I liked the way the slide on my guns snapped with the 124's. Every shooter is different. Try some 147s for a while and see if you like it better or see any appreciable performance increase during matches.

~Mitch

Since 9 Minor is pretty soft to start with it's not as big a deal as it might be otherwise so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Right now I'm shooting the same ammo that Dave S. does and it sure it soft....147gr at 920fps out of my M&P Pro. I definitely like it better than factory 115 or 124gr ammo like WWB etc. After I move I plan on developing my own version of this same 147gr load as it's accurate (very much so), soft and the gun has a nice feel with a 13lb recoil spring in it. R,

As a new shooter, I reply on the input from experienced minds. The question is this...what is your favorite bullet weight for competition shooting? I shoot a Glock 34 in Production class and I reload, so any bullet/powder/primer combo's that you can suggest would be great.

I have moved up to Montana Gold 124gr FMJ and like them a great deal. After attending Bianchi CUp this past week, I read that Glock Superman Dave Sevigney uses 147gr sub-sonic loads (around 970 fps). If it's good enough for Dave???

I, like most of us fight with accuracy, so ideas and suggestions or anything that can lighten the recoil without reducing performance would be welcomed.

So...what's the best and why?

Learn to shoot! A good shooter can shoot anything well, from muzzleloaders to machineguns to mortars. Any difference in loads is largely created in your mind, heavily influenced by advertisements and claims by other shooters that their load/gun/attitude/training is the only way. Go for accuracy. The top shooters are VERY ACCURATE shooters. Learn to shoot.

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...