Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need some reloading wisdom..

Z32MadMan

I really need some wisdom and deep words on reloads... I've been noticing during matches the magazine going in will snag a bit. My reloads have lost their smoothness and it's costing me. I've noticed this and I'm putting extra emphasis on my reloads during dryfire. But I can't seem to make my reloads work there either... I know I need to go back to the basics but I can't seem to make it happen at the moment. Any tips, things to focus on, random thoughts about smoothing out my reloads and making them reliable and consistent? I'm playing in Production.

Work in a "pause" right at the point before insertion of the magazine into the gun.

Get a visual cue on the mag well. Bring a point on the magwell into razor sharp focus.

Stay loose. Don't think speed, think about meeting your visual cue and bringing the mag that that point to pause...before insertion.

Work in a "pause" right at the point before insertion of the magazine into the gun.

Get a visual cue on the mag well. Bring a point on the magwell into razor sharp focus.

Stay loose. Don't think speed, think about meeting your visual cue and bringing the mag that that point to pause...before insertion.

exactly! +1

I put a white dot on the magazine well located where I can only see it if I have the gun at the correct position for the reload. I don't really remember seeing it during matches, but I "see" it during dryfire exercise.

In my case, it really seems to help.

Bill

(p.s. I made my white dots with a hole puncher and some self-sticking mailing labels. Punch a few out and stick 'em to the bottom of your gun.)

I remember my first class with Matt Burkett. He had to re-arrange a whole bunch of stuff on me.

Start at the beginning.

Where are your mags on your body?

How do you drop your hand to the mag? Can you hit the mag release with or without shifting the gun? When do you drop the hand-before you release the mag, after, during?

How far down are you holding the mag--index finger all the way down?

When you insert the mag into the gun, is the gun high or lower?

The pause is critical, are you looking the mag into the gun? For many people the white dot seems to work great. The idea is to focus on the spot in the mag well. That and the first finger towards the top of the mag seems to help most people.

In dry fire, you can practice over the bed so you do not have to bend down so far.

Can you dry fire outside? I have a decent backyard with bushes and trees, so from certain areas I can practice dry firing with freaking out my neighbors. I dry fire on a target then try to drop the mag while I am taking my first step. I noticed I was taking my time reloading. Timing the completion of the reload when I reached my next array.--oops. Another story.

Two things might help you get back to the basic besides following the fundamental techniques. One, try to go really slow in certain spots. Drop your hand really fast, but grip the mag perfectly and bring it slowly and look it into the well. Second is the almost exact opposite-go really fast. The idea behind both is to break the status quo. Somehow, the current state is in your subconscious mind, so the key is to unlearn it and replace it with solid technique.

Flex,

Are you referring here to the so-called "Burkett Reload"?

With the "pause" part? Yeah, probably so.

Do you also have this pause while making your magazine exchanges during competition or are you only doing it during dry fire practice to gain muscle memory?

I wqs just taught this this morning by an A shooter at our club.

I was trying to go fast and he threw this one at me.

Weird thing is, it was faster. :wacko:

Then there are the five other things he pointed out I was doing wrong.

So many things to learn.

Okay, back in action. Thanks for all of the help everyone! Honestly I was freaking out. I have always had pretty decent reloads, and suddenly there were gone. I was making smooth easy dryfire reloads at about 0.9 sec from timer to getting the shot off. Then all of a sudden that went to 2 seconds because it was like trying to park a semi truck in a toilet paper roll. But things are back to a fairly consistent 0.9 sec. I think what really messed me up was the airsoft routine I started. I just got into airsoft training about a month ago, and I think reloading with that threw my mag to magwell angles off. Airsoft training is great btw, I think it's really going to help me improve. But now I know to just leave the reloads for the real steel. I honestly tried everything that was posted on this thread and probably spent about 10hrs of dryfiring trying to figure out what the F was wrong. And honestly it did absolutely nothing, other than making me really upset. So after giving up for a few days it started coming back, and now I'm feeling good again. I guess I justed needed to let it go and get it out of my system. And I'm glad it's back because my favorite match is tomorrow. It actually got so bad at one point I was considering running minor limited with my P226 :roflol:

Anyway thanks again! :cheers:

Also I found that my pouches were holding on to my mags a bit too tightly. And this was making it overly difficult getting them out of the pouch easily. So loosening those really helped my left side to relax during reloads. Really helped smooth things out.

Quick question to: What are decent draw, reload, and draw fire reload fire times for production?

In dryfire good times for me are:

Draw: 0.8 sec

Reload: 0.9 sec

Draw, 1 round, reload, 1 round: 1.8 sec

These are dryfire with a target at 5-7 yards calling A's.

Edited by Z32MadMan

I try to remember not to move the gun from where my hand left it. The hand comes naturally straight back to where it was... canted slightly and straight in front of you and in your working area.

• 2 weeks later...
Also I found that my pouches were holding on to my mags a bit too tightly. And this was making it overly difficult getting them out of the pouch easily. So loosening those really helped my left side to relax during reloads. Really helped smooth things out.

Quick question to: What are decent draw, reload, and draw fire reload fire times for production?

In dryfire good times for me are:

Draw: 0.8 sec

Reload: 0.9 sec

Draw, 1 round, reload, 1 round: 1.8 sec

These are dryfire with a target at 5-7 yards calling A's.

That's very fast. Start working on other things, would be my advice.

H.

+1

- When you do work reloads...maybe try for 10 clean ones in a row, before reducing the par time.

- Work the reloads while moving out of you position.

+10. Both of these things are key and something I didn't figure out for a long time.

H.

• 2 weeks later...