Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Forum Member in CO

I just wanted to say hello. I have been shooting for over 20 years and shot IPSC heavily in college. I lived in AZ then and shot Tuesday night steel at Rio Salado. My questions is where in the Denver area are people shooting USPSA/IPDA? I am looking to get back into the sport. It helps that I can afford it now.

Thanks,

Jason Carroll

Hi Jason, see the website already posted www.ecouspsa.com for info on all the clubs on the front range.

In the Denver area there are matches at Aurora Gun Club (off C470 south of DIA). And also at up I-70 near Idaho Springs at Dumont.

There are also matches outside Boulder, near Greeley, at an indoor range in colorado springs and near Pueblo. We have plenty of IPSC here in Colorado :cheers:

Hi Jason, see the website already posted www.ecouspsa.com for info on all the clubs on the front range.

In the Denver area there are matches at Aurora Gun Club (off C470 south of DIA). And also at up I-70 near Idaho Springs at Dumont.

There are also matches outside Boulder, near Greeley, at an indoor range in colorado springs and near Pueblo. We have plenty of IPSC here in Colorado :cheers:

And HPPS outside of Kiowa.

And HPPS outside of Kiowa.

I wanted to thank everyone for the information. I must say that I took for granted all of the opportunity to shoot IPSC in Mesa, AZ. In Denver, there aren't a lot of places that you can go to close to home and shoot a Tuesday night match. I am going to look into the Aurora Gun Club. Dumont and Kiowa are possibilities, but you have to give up the day to drive there and back.

I'll just have to try them all out and see how bad the drives really are.

Jason

Welcome back Jason! :cheers:

I did the same basic thing....shot in AZ when I was at the UofA (93 grad) and have missed Tues Night steel ever since. I also took a long break (the better part of 12-13 years) but it'll come back to you quick. You're SO right about being able to afford it though...makes a world of difference. R,

I did the same basic thing....shot in AZ when I was at the UofA (93 grad) and have missed Tues Night steel ever since. I also took a long break (the better part of 12-13 years) but it'll come back to you quick. You're SO right about being able to afford it though...makes a world of difference. R,

Thanks, I haven't shot a steel match in about 9-10 years. Brings back some great memories though! In the last 2 years, I've had some great LEO training and qualifications, so I am looking to get back in to competing. What firearm did you come back to shooting with? Fortunately, I have a lot to choose from, but I am always looking for suggestions.

Jason

not many places have the opportunities like AZ to shoot.

but its not too bad along the front range. yes may have to spend a day.. but what a better way to spend a day.

you can shoot a variety most every weekend

USPSA, IDPA, Steel, long range rifle, USPSA 3-gun and multigun.

the ECOuspsa website has all the schedules, maps, contacts for most if not all the shooting in the area. Also check out CO-AR15 as it has several forums to the different shooting competitions.

Welcome to the area

Thanks, I haven't shot a steel match in about 9-10 years. Brings back some great memories though! In the last 2 years, I've had some great LEO training and qualifications, so I am looking to get back in to competing. What firearm did you come back to shooting with? Fortunately, I have a lot to choose from, but I am always looking for suggestions.

Jason

When I got back into USPSA actively I knew I'd want to shoot Open again, but since that's a little more complicated gun choice I shot my first year in Limited with a Dawson Super Tuned Edge. I changed a few things (standard guide rod, Extreme Engineering trigger job, SV trigger (with the inserts), SV ambi safetie and an AFTEC) over time, but it ran perfectly from day one. Limited is also usually the biggest division at our local matches so I wanted to have more competition to gauge myself off of and it worked out nicely. If I was on a slightly tighter budget I probably would have gone either Single Stack or Production getting back into it. There are so many great options out there it can be mind boggling, but the cool thing is that folks are still more than happy to let you try their gear and see what you like before you buy.

Since you're a reasonable drive from Albuquerque, keep next year's High Desert Classic (Rio Grande Practical Shooting Club) in mind (early June match). Great weather, awesome stages, wonderful people and it's not an expensive match (or town) so it won't break the bank. The sectional here is another option (Wild West Practical Shooters Club)...should be in Sept on the Founders Ranch with a bison heard for scenery! R,

There are also weekly steel matches on Wednesdays during the summer at Pueblo West, get there by 6pm or so. We usually setup 2 of the steel challenge stages and a couple other that we just make up.