Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Dies?

jskd82

Ive got a 550 and I also have the Dillon dies. I had the same problems with some of my brass not resizing properly. I went out and bought the EGW undersize .40 sizing die and have not had one problem since. Some people in the forum will tell you that Dillon dies will work just fine when resizing but that just wasnt the case for me.

Not to go off topic but just a quick note. Skywalker67 I too started with the Lee Progressive 1000. I loaded about 200 rounds on it before upgrading to a 650. It was the best thing I've done. I had a ton of problems with the primer feed and with primers getting stuck. I was always afraid of setting one off in the press. I bought the 650 and many tens of thousands of rounds later I'm completely happy. If you are debating about making the switch take it for me it is worth the money.

Pete

Thank for all the info.

I think Im going to get the EGW in .40 and maybe .38 super and give it a try.

A friend of mine has a Case Pro but I think there like $450. I just can't justify that cost. I think the the EGW is $22 and Flex mentioned the FCD is just $12.

One last question :huh:

Someone mentioned that the EGW mat slow you down a bit. Im loading on a 550. Im just wondering if the FCD slows you as much? Before I buy the EGW I just wonder which one is faster.

Jim :wacko:

Jim, speed is not an important issue. "Speed kills" Quality reloads are what you should be thinking about. If I load 300 rnds/hr on my 650, I'm flying. Same holds true on my 550. Take your time and try to be as smooth as possible. Don't think of reloading as a chore, rather an enjoyable hobby.

Scooterj-

I don't think I like reloading as much as you. I usually get around 400 rounds an hour if Im taking my time. If I stay at it I'll get 500 an hour. Once or twice I went over 600. All thats on a 550B. Whatever I end up getting it's difficult for me to think of it as a fun or enjoyable hobby :D

Thanks,

Jim

i just got my EGW forty die and it will send a sized casing to the bottom of the case checker die like a rocket....hell you can even send them in upside down and they'll go to the bottom.......the factory crimp die will not correct the glock bulge....but i like it anyway because adjusting the crimp from the top is so easy.....Dick

PS...i just got my length right for my para 40 and got my EGW to make great loads and guess what??? The lugs on my bull barrel sheared off while shooting a stage over the weekend......i guess i'll just load 40's until it gets back from the smith......

Sorry, but couldn't resist...

[NoOffenseGlockOwners][AdverbOverUse]

It's absolutely, incredibly, unbelievably, amazing what a gigantic nightmare of a problem the company of Glock created by choosing not to adhere to SAAMI specs when designing their .40 cal barrels. Unless of course you're making a profit by selling a product that fixes a problem which should have never occurred in the first place.

[/nogo][/aou]

be

Brian just reminded me of something that happened a while back when I was working for a plastic molding company.

We were testing a new, mounting system to hold the molds into the molding machines. Plastic molds are basically giant blocks of steel that weigh anywhere from 100 to several thousand pounds and are split in the middle so the parts can fall out after they're molded. The new mount was a 8-10" ring of steel that locked into a corresponding hole on the press. Each mold needed two, one per side. Each ring needed 8 - 1/4" or 5/16" bolts to secure it to the mold. (I was amazed at how small the bolts were.) Well, one day I walk into the tool room and look at what the toolmakers have done to mount the rings to the molds. They left 3 of the 8 bolts out!! So, damn near 50% of the mechanical strength of the system went out the window. These particular molds weighed about half a ton a side. People are required to work around and underneath the molds as part of their normal duties when the mold is mounted in the machine .

"Dude!! What the F*** are you thinking!!"

"Well, it hasn't broke *yet*."

"Yeah, but that doesn't make it *right*."

Great excuse. I love it. "Nobody's died yet, so let's run with it."

• 2 weeks later...