Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Magazine Problems

BritinUSA

Drive 1.5 hours to a match, pay the fee only to have equipment malfunctions. It seems the more money I spend on this sport the more unreliable my stuff seems to get. Multiple nose-dives on stages and then the same magazine works perfectly the next stage. It's driving me nuts. I use old brass, new brass, doesn't seem to make any difference. Tried changing recoil springs, magazine springs, checked feed lips, all ok, tried altering them anyway, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Each time I spend more and more money trying to fix these problems and it just introduces new ones. Sprained my wrist clearing a jam today ! I never know if the gun is going to work each time I press the trigger. I have NEVER been so FRUSTRATED !!!!!!

I am just about ready to ****ing quit !

:angry2:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear the day was so tough.

I had mine last weekend, and I felt similarly.

I didn't shoot IPSC this weekend. With my heater needing a little surgery I've got to send it away to the doctor. I'd be lying if I didn't say it wasn't a bit of a relief. Nice not to think about the game for the weekend.

I picked up the O/U shotgun and pocked at some clays. Loved every second of it - all guns can get a little cranky but there is something to be said for a simple O/U shotgun.

I hope your next match goes better. I definitly hope you get your gun issues fixed. This game is tough all by itself. Equipment issues make it much, much more difficult.

Jack

Throw the magazine away, it could be something like a mis cut mag catch hole. It could also be a worn mag catch. If its only doing it with one mag use that mag for dry fire.

Throw the magazine away, it could be something like a mis cut mag catch hole. It could also be a worn mag catch. If its only doing it with one mag use that mag for dry fire.

+1

Remove the problem. Like you said we spend to much on the sport to not enjoy it.

Dude! We all hate it. its days like this that make winning so sweet.

Remove the emotion, Detache from the problem and thing your way out.

Could be the barrel is not drooping down all the way. how about a new main spring ? Remove the slide put the fully loaded mag in the frame and look for "play" ? is the mag catch letting the mag jump around?

Your a sharp guy =use it

You don't want to get as Old as me and find that shooting has worn you teeth down ;)

That's the crazy thing. I will use a mag that works then on the next stage that EXACT same magazine will get nose-dives. Or I'll use a magazine that failed on a stage and it will work next time. It seems totally random, if it was the same magazine failing each time the fix would be easy. The goal-posts keep moving...!

I've never had a gun do this before, it's nuts.

The only thing left for me to try is mucking around with OAL and checking out the barrel to see if it's not dropping down enough. It's just weird.

Cracked Grip? :huh:

Steel grip, just checked anyway and no cracks

You are still running roundnose projectiles right?

Yep, Montana Gold same ones I have always used.

Try a different brand and/or combination of mag spring & follower...

Tried new springs with old followers and new springs with new followers. One stage they work, next stage they won't...

From what I remember when I look down the ejection port at the nose-dive. It seems that the bullet it hitting the bottom of the barrel before the ramp starts. My thinking at the moment is to try a slightly longer OAL, but I only have 0.005" to play with before it starts hitting inside the mag. Not sure if such a small change would make any difference but it's the only thing that I have not changed yet. My usual OAL is 1.245"

Extractor, not letting the rim slip up.

Hmmmmm, that's interesting. I know that a loose extractor causes the cases to flop out of the ejection port and a tight extractor throws the cases further. My cases are ending up about 20+ feet from where I am shooting.

<_< I remembering the "Lawn Mower Man" retard Billy Bob Thornton checks the fancy lawn-mower that wont start. looks in the fuel tank, looks at the spark plug pulls the fuel line off and blows through it. and starts up the lawn-mower.

Yep I like taters. yep

Take the slide off and put the barrel on the frame with out the slide , put in the loaded mag and look it over

l

It seems that the bullet it hitting the bottom of the barrel before the ramp starts. My thinking at the moment is to try a slightly longer OAL, but I only have 0.005" to play with before it starts hitting inside the mag. Not sure if such a small change would make any difference but it's the only thing that I have not changed yet. My usual OAL is 1.245"

I had that problem once --- in a Glock. Radically shortening the OAL (1.135 to 1.100) fixed the issue and the blasters seem to like that length.....

I did have to rework the load a little....

Extractor, not letting the rim slip up.

Hmmmmm, that's interesting. I know that a loose extractor causes the cases to flop out of the ejection port and a tight extractor throws the cases further. My cases are ending up about 20+ feet from where I am shooting.

If the extractor is a factor, it might not be an issue of tension...rather tuning the various edges near the hook...poor "clocking" due to the fit with the firing pin stop...carbon build up...

With only 0.005 to play with in OAL...that is suspect too.

Also, worn out brass...with rims that have gotten wider through repeated firings.

If the extractor is a factor, it might not be an issue of tension...rather tuning the various edges near the hook...poor "clocking" due to the fit with the firing pin stop...carbon build up...

It has an external extractor, it's blued (from the factory) and I am thinking I may need to just take the bluing off from the edges/hook so the case glides in, perhaps the bluing is not that uniform and may have some ridges or something. I get the problem with both old and new brass so it may be just a tad too snug for reliability.

I've noticed .38 Super rims do tend to expand so I'll measure it up with both old and new brass and see if there is some binding/grinding action going on somewhere... Thanks for the tip.

Been there done that...since then, I got a CZ spo1 and slap on a scope on it as

a back up gun. You'll figure it out... i remember going to Grauffel's sight for tips

on how to tune the tans and just start from basic. Then, I also checked the rim of my

used brass for sharp edges and chambered all ammo with the barrel. just my 2cents.

Pretend its a friends gun to be worked on and tune it FRESH.

Check the breechface angle too. I had a Caspian slide that wasn't cut true and the rounds would wedge between the face and the extractor and the jams were random as hell.

FWIW, it's never a bad thing to stop spending match money and step back to diagnose the problem. Otherwise you're just getting more and more pissed. Been there too often.

Rich