Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 stand frenzy!

j1b

My IPSC blaster is on the fritz - at least the one I have out here is - so I was left with no choice but to shoot some clays this weekend.

First off, I am LOVING this new shotgun. I've had so much fun shooting clays games since I got it. I haven't shot a single round of trap with the dang thing, but several rounds of skeet and then 5 stand today. I can't wait to get a sporting clays course in. Soon enough - I'm still learning how to bust a few.

That 5 stand was a blast. Tons of fun! Fast paced! Lots of birds and fun targets. I shot 4 rounds and needless to say the first couple were pretty rough. Actually probably better than what they would have been a few weeks ago - but still not that great. I shot 13 birds the first round, then another 13. The second round I was doing pretty well until station 4 where I only hit one bird. Just started lifting my head and that was doom. Stage 4 I lost track - I shot those three rounds right in a row and I figured I needed a break. In about 40 minutes I shot 75 rounds.

So I sat a couple rounds out. Just watched. Jumped in for my fourth round and went 4-3-4-4-4 for a 19. All in all I didn't think that was too bad so I bagged the gun up and went house hunting.

A ton of fun though, hopefully do that again one day.

One interesting thing that has really helped me out. I mount the gun where I want to break the bird and set up so all of that is comfortable, then I swing over to my starting point. For some reason that has really helped me. I was starting out all comfortable on the start point and then when the bird flew I was swinging out of my comfortable stance. This has just helped a ton. And, true to what one might think - the targets today where I was less certain about where I was going to bust it or on the targets where I was less diligent about setting up proper my odds of missing went up a ton.

I can tell I'm going to need to do some kind of thursday night league or something. I enjoy it too much. Once I get a little better you know I'm going to have to compete. It isn't in me not to!

Jack

Used to turn my nose up at shotgun sports... My home range put in a 5 stand field and some of them finally talke me into trying it out. Yup, good stuff. I've bought more than my fair share of birds now, even set up the 5 stand field as part of a course of fire in a 3-gun match. Shot my first sporting clays tournament 2 weekends ago locally, and then drove 300+ miles to shoot another this past weekend. Clays suck though, cutting into my USPSA time!

• 2 weeks later...

There is one event in the sportsmans challenge that all the targets come right at you without a break, it's incredible fun. I have to use an auto to keep up it would just be too hard on the ou.

5 stand is great unless your home range has one of the setters from Nationals....Our 5 stand is set at nationals level all the time and it hurts the new people coming into shoot....I always tell people that sporting clays and 5 stand are the ipsc shooting of the shotgun world...We have bunch of skeet shooters that walk by and look at us like we are freaks!

Hey Ken have you met the 16 year old girl at your home range that can shoot like the wind??? Jenn Clark!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Five stand is probably one of the best clays games out there, I especially like when they throw all true pairs instead of the timed delay pairs. On you mounting if you are just getting into it you probably shoot gun pre-mounted? If I were you and you truly want to get better get a seasoned friend to help you and and start a habit of shooting gun down. Have your hold point in line with the flight path and move, mount, shoot. Head on the gun is def a plus if you want to break birds.

• 4 months later...

Last fall I joined the 5 stand league at my range. It was a two round fifty bird league. I had never shot any clays sports before until I signed up to do it. All I had ever done was shot clays with one of those $30 throwers you can get at wal-mart. It was an eye opener to say the least. The first two weeks I shot a 17 and a 12. I was so mad i wanted to throw the gun in the trash and never come back. The whole time a guy I work with was giving tips on things to work on. So I would go to work and talk to him. Then go home and work on my mount and try to get it in to a groove. I would shoot a little at my parents place and stuck with it. The last two weeks I shot a 32 and a 36. The week I shot a 36 I cleaned the first stand both rounds. Turns out 5 stand is really fun when you are breaking birds. The guy that won regularly broke around 44/45 birds and there were a couple other guys that were right on his tail. I had a blast and can't wait till they start another league.

I shot a couple of matches with my SX2 and then bought an 1187 with a 28" barrel and chokes. Going to have to wait a couple of weeks for the next match but I'm hooked. $8.00 a match, no set up or tear down, get to shoot with my son and the folks who we squad with are an absolute joy to shoot with. What's not to like about this gig.

Pat

I love sporting clays and 5 stand so much I have a Winchester Western (rebuilt) launcher at home. Voice release or pickle pull. Enjoying it so much, that I might just get another launcher to get more birds in the air (wobble doubles x4)

Wood to wood. Acquire target and track with your head, mount gun smoothly, and this one is key. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER!. You ''tap'' it!

It's all broke and smoke from there.

PS, regarding autoloaders. A proficient guy with an O/U has embarrassed many an auto loader shotgun. I know, I used to think an auto was quicker. Then I bought a Browning Cynergy, practiced a bit, and no way can an autoloader keep up, especially since loading sticks are not permitted.

Edited by Got Juice?

• 4 weeks later...

Im shooting a skeet/trap league this winter and having a blast. great way for trigger time til the weather breaks and snow melts. I stuck my head around the wall last weekend to watch some 5-stand and it looked like a ton of fun! ive heard it canbe quite humbling, even for a good shot. I cant wait to give it a try.

When I was younger I shot skeet with my dad. It was quite fun. He got me a Browning Superposed O/U skeet gun. It is an awesome gun. Much heavier I suspect than new guns. I shot a round of sporting clays with it and it is still competitive. I am having the recoil pad upgraded to a modern one, instead of its 50 year old pad.

There are about four of us that shoot USPSA that are starting to spend more time on the sporting clay game. Now we are considering shooting a clay match after our USPSA match!

Corey, you are correct Sporting Clays is humbling and addictive! But what better way than to spend my daughter's inheritance.

Edited by pjb45

• 3 months later...

Shot my first 5-stand match Friday with a 20" barrel auto loader I use for multi-gun. I hit 12 birds in 2 rounds. I'm going to try again with 1 1/4oz #8 loads and the IC choke in hopes it will throw a bigger pattern. It was very fun and I now have an O/U on my list of toys to buy.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...