Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Factor

I am shooting CDP in IDPA and the power floor in the rule book shows 165,000. This would mean my loads must hit at least 825 fps for my 200grain LSWC on the chrono.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the floor was 625 fps.. I have finnaly got a stable load just above that range but it looks like I need to loosen the powder screw...

Is my math right. If I am shooting 200 grain LSWC .45 CDP, do I need at least an average of 825 fps? If so would you recommend a 18 0r 16 pound recoil spring.. with or without shock buffs.

Thanks,

Don

3x24May16.txt

I think most folks running a 45 at near major (165) PF run a 14 or 12 pound recoil spring. I run a 14lb ISMI - Wolff's spring rates tend to be a little off of that (I forget which direction) - my ISMI's always measure very close to stated weights. I use one Wilson buff, but a recent recommendation from a pro involved a 12lb spring and no buffs...

If you need to load to or above 165PF, you'll have to have that 200grn bullet going at least 825. PF = weight * speed / 1000.

Edited by Dave Gundry

Go for 850 fps and I use a 14# spring with no buff.

+1. 14 lb, no buff. You can play around and "tune" from there if you want. I have--

and always end up back at the 14#, no buff!

Thanks! Would a Glock 21 45ACP be ESP/SSP in IDPA? If so, the powerfactor is only 125,000, I am thinking that may be a good gun for my wife. She like to shoot sometimes.

More gun than you need for the division but can be done - especially with reloading. Also has a "larger" grip than many others available and legal for the class...Might consider a smaller grip for a Lady shooter...

Just my .02....

I've shot 21s here and there, and the 34 or 17 would be a better choice in ESP/SSP. The 21 is *fat* - and that's not an advantage unless you're wanting to shoot a Glock in CDP.

I shot a 21SF *with a grip reduction* for a week just to play around. I much prefer the smaller-framed Glocks. I have long skinny hands, so it's not like the grip was a massive problem. Unless you have hands the size of Shreks, I just thing the 17/34/35 is a faster gun overall in minor divisions.

And trust me, a 147gr trundling along at 880fps (129 pf) is plenty soft. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic