Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV Load Data

bkeeler

I am using 4.9gr of N320 230gr FMJ Montana Gold Bullet. Which is minimum. The load data from VV says LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED. Why is this? does anybody know.

Thanks

Bruce Keeler

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that I am loading 4.5gr of N320 with 230gr lead round nose and I haven't had any issues so far.  I have loaded probably 2000 rounds using this formula.

-jhgtyre

I suspect the reason they write that is because of a un-proven phenomena called "detonation".

The theory is that with very little powder in a case, the amount of powder that is exposed to the initial primer burst is greater, apparently resulting an instant, devastating explosion rather than a controled burn.

Imagine filling a case half full with powder then laying it on its side.  There's an airspace created that exposes more of the powder to the primer's sparks.

Many TOTALLY disagree with this theory (including me).

I talked to a tech at Hodgdon abou it and he said they have tried to replicate it in the lab and have always failed.  The leading de-bunkers to this "detonation" theory list the reluctance to admit to probable double-charge as the real reason guns go BOOM!!

Decide for yourself......

http://www.reloadammo.com/liteload.htm

(Edited by TDean at 6:41 pm on May 8, 2002)

I bought a couple of lbs of N340 to possibly use for my 200 SWC .45 loads.  When I saw their starting load was something like a 190(!) power factor I decided to save it for .38 Super loads.  

IMnotsoHO. The more powder you put in the higher the pressure. Seems simple to me. I have used for Service Pistol (similar to PPC) 2.1gr Win Super Target and 148gr Wadcutters in 38spl. These some times do NOT cut all the way through the card at 50Yd. Very slow, no recoil, REAL ACCURATE. Real easy to score when they hang out, no need for a plug gauge.

Try it and see, if it don't work, don't use it!!

the 4.9 with a 230 gr. bullet is a minimum load in a 6" barrel.  I just started using 320 with a 200 lswc, 5.0 grs. gave me almost 900 fps, so i dropped it to 4.7 an i am now getting around 860.  

the 4.9 with a 230 gr. bullet is a minimum load in a 6" barrel.  I just started using 320 with a 200 lswc, 5.0 grs. gave me almost 900 fps, so i dropped it to 4.7 an i am now getting around 860.