Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Blown Disc

Those of you that shot the Single Stack Nationals might remember the limping RO on stage 5... that was me.

Blew a disc about a week before the match. I didn't get any sleep last night due to the pain.

Just what I need is ANOTHER surgery (the first one was when I was 29). I have an MRI Thursday at 7:30am. It's incredibly painful to lay on my back... that's gonna be fun.

If I'm lucky, it's not blown so bad as to require surgery... but I doubt it. This hurts worse than the last time, and that one needed it (Yes... three doctors said the same thing).

There goes my freaking shooting season. Hopefully, if I need the surgery, I can get it scheduled rather quickly, so I can make Area 5 at the end of July.

On top of all of this, I don't have any vacation time banked at work (just started there 4 months ago). And... I don't think they have a disability program.

Sorry if this is rambling... I didn't sleep last night.

Frank

Frank,

I don't know what surgery you had last time but definitely find a doc who is familiar with Microdiscectomies. Very effective and the recovery time is 6-8 weeks rather than 6 mos w/a fusion.

good luck, I feel your pain :(

Ever tried an inversion table? My impressions is that it is self-administered traction. I bought one when I blew out 2 discs in my neck (and broke C7), but since I had completely trashed them the inversion didn't help any.

What kind of surgery did they do before?

Mine \/

MyNeck.jpg

Yes... it was a microdiscectomy... I was off the pain meds the next day, and back at work in a little over a week (an office job).

I've tried the tables... even had one that stretches you out... didn't do a darn thing.

We'll just have to wait and see what Mr. MRI says...

I thought there was some technique called radio frequency ablation that shrunk down discs. Maybe it's too late when the disc has already burst/herniated. For RFA, I think they stick a small wire through the skin into the disk or what is left of it and then zap it with RF. It seemed less invasive than getting all carved up.

I had the Lumbar Medial Branch Block done all over my lower back. The purpose was to locate the nerves that were sending the pain signals. Now that we know I'm going to have the Lumbar Radiofrequency Abilation (RFA) done next month for a more long term nerve block. Cooks the nerves. I am glad to be off the very strong meds. I had 3 Surgeons turn me down.

Had a laminectomy (2 discs) 10 years ago and was relatively ok for those 10 years.

Now I've had multiple epidural injections of cortisone, and the radio frequency ablation.

Helped a little but I hear each case is different.

Currently on Oxycodone and looking at possibly another surgery.....don't know if I'll do it. I'm now over 50 so how much is it going to do for me (risk vs reward)?

I'm going to try accupuncture and physical threapy next an dif thats no good and the pain is so bad I ca't take it then I will consider surgery.

Currently the meds make it go away to where its only a small dull ache but the bad thing about the meds is when you take them you can't drive.

I feel your pain brother and I wish you well with your procedures.

JK

MRI done yesterday. Both without and with contrast. Now I just have to wait on the University of Iowa to send my LAST MRI to my doc for comparison.

This is really starting to suck, but at least the doc's believe me this time. I had my first problem while mobilized in 2002 an the doc's told me for over a year that it was a pulled muscle.

Went on med-hold for three months and got a grand total of 1 appointment (an epidural that lasted about 3 days).

I finally told them to REFRAD me. Lived with it for another year before it got so bad I couldn't deal with it.

Talk to a neurosurgeon, did the MRI, he calls me in, says "I'm surprised you can even walk." L4-L5 had blown, and the bulge had wedged between the spinal cord and spinal column almost HALF WAY to the next disc. Ouch. Did the surgery the next week, and I knew it worked as soon as I woke up.

The great thing about microdiscectomies... I had an office job at the time, and I was back to work in 6 days.

Driving a truck locally now... I'll have to wait longer this time.

Of course... maybe I'm lucky and this one isn't blown out that bad.

We'll just have to wait and see. Good thing I'm training an assistant MD for the club... I can't really bend over or lift anything.

Frank

Well... the MRI results are back... large blowout.

Go directly to Neurosurgeon. Do not pass physical therapy, do not collect steroid injections.

Fun fun

Maybe the Surgeon will try steroids first... I don't know.

Luckily, the same Doc who did my last one is still practicing, and is a preferred provider with my insurance :cheers:

Frank

Damn! Is this disc immediately before/after the previous one?

Don't know... feels like it. It may even be the same one.

The doc called me last night and just said "large protusion." Didn't say what level. But it feels like it is just below the last one, which would make this one at the L5-S1 level.

Frank

Sorry to hear of your injury. I have a herniated disk between my L4 and L5 vertebra. When it happened, I was on my back for a week. And it took another 3-6 months to get somewhat back to normal. It was the worst pain I have ever been in my life.

Up until that, I thought that a blown rotator cuff was bad pain. A blown rotator cuff is nothing by comparison. I was only 37 when it happened and I thought I would never be able to shoot competitively again.

I live with some degree of pain every day, but I am grateful to be as active as I am now. Every day that I am upright is a blessing, and I hope that I never hurt my back again. Hang in there and do what the doctor tells you. You know the drill I am sure. From my doctor - Lose weight, do the exercises and don’t act like you are twenty; you will hurt less.

Recover soon

Edited by TM262

• 5 weeks later...

A little update... went to the Neurosurgeon yesterday...

Due to the fact that the pain has lessened somewhat on it's own (Still there all the time, just bearable), and the MRI showed the bulge isn't as big as the last one (even though it is on the same level as before), we're gonna try pain management first (Steroid shots to the back). If that doesn't give some kind of relief, then we'll talk about surgery...

At least it gives me time to sign up for the supplemental disability insurance at work :cheers:

Also means that I still have to be careful at matches... so our local matches aren't going to have any funky twisting, kneeling or prone positions for the next few months... :roflol:

Now Area 3... the freaking first stage has a prone port, then get back up and continue shooting... hmmm... :roflol:

Frank

A little update... went to the Neurosurgeon yesterday...

Due to the fact that the pain has lessened somewhat on it's own (Still there all the time, just bearable), and the MRI showed the bulge isn't as big as the last one (even though it is on the same level as before), we're gonna try pain management first (Steroid shots to the back). If that doesn't give some kind of relief, then we'll talk about surgery...

At least it gives me time to sign up for the supplemental disability insurance at work :cheers:

Also means that I still have to be careful at matches... so our local matches aren't going to have any funky twisting, kneeling or prone positions for the next few months... :roflol:

Now Area 3... the freaking first stage has a prone port, then get back up and continue shooting... hmmm... :roflol:

Frank

Sorry to hear about this. I know a lot about this one. I was thirty when I injured my back. It was a free floating disc fragment L4-5. A very old surgeon told me he was going to operate the next morning and he did. Took out an "oyster" he said. No fusion. I was immediately better, the next day. Took a year to get to sprint speed, but excellent recovery. However I went through 9 months of ER doctors and residents telling me "it's in your head". Finally, I got to someone who knew what he was doing. He was the chairman of the Orthopedics Department at a very large medical school and I was his last back operation before he retired. Grace of God. He told me any monkey can do the surgery-it's making the decision correctly that's hard. Only restrictions were no overhead weight lifting and no bowling. I had him put a letter in my file that says no restrictions-may skydive, scuba dive, and ride motorcycles. (If my wife says it's ok) Good luck-you can't hurt your back any more-it's going to do what it is going to do-your limitation is pain. Try not to worry and hope for the best-it will eventually get better.

As an another L4-5 victim I can feel your pain. I had the joy of the physical therapist pointing out that I didn't just have pain but it was making my foot drop also, that was a great revelation "nerve damage", talk about freak out. Fortunately PT helped me and I avoided surgery but I have a nightly appointment with the floor for abs and stretching.

I'm not sure what you do for work, but as you know the with the down low injuries sitting tends to be a bad bad thing. I am lucky enough to work for a great company and they retrofitted my cube with electrically adjustable legs so I can stand most of the day but have the option to sit when needed.

WorkRite Ergo This company is the bomb but you'll have to sell you most expensive race gun or two to pay for it. they sell complete desks or they sell the leg kits to fit under an existing top.

Jason

I know I posted this before, but I spent my youth in flagrant disreguard of my discs. Rodeo.. ( my first love) Team Roping and Bare Back with my good friend Bruce Ford, Free style skiing for the Olin ski corp. Motocross and Desert Bike racing for Moose Off Road ( White Brothers ) . I was damn lucky but I needed to get a bit of releif in the l4-l5 area after a good life... After a bit of surgery and rehab ( I have never done anything half way, and 3 days after surgery I was walking 3 miles a day) I am back to the level of a 30 year old... (just turned 50) 5 weeks after the surgury I won a 3-gun

match, that is how much it helped!! I wish you all the best and I pray it works out as well as it did fOR me!!! KurtM

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh... someone moved my topic... works for me... I had originally started this out as a hate rant, and it turned into a discussion :cheers:

Called the last friday pain clinic... can't get in for nearly a month (July 22nd) :angry2:

Anyway... my back had gotten to the point where I could function and drive and stuff with little to no pain (as long as I was careful). Monday morning, I went out on the porch to push one of my cats off window sill (he got right up next to our female, and she was howling at him). As soon as I push, I get that familiar electric shock feeling in my back, and now it's a freaking workout just to walk 10 feet.

Tramadol, Flexeril, and Aleve were the drugs of choice before... now they barely touch it.

I drive a truck, and can't take narcotics and work at the same time... but if I can barely walk, I may have to bite the bullet.

Going to see the doc today... maybe I can talk him into a shot of vitamin T (torodol)... that's helped before, at least for a couple days.

Frank

Back from the Doc.... (yes... I know it's almost 3am... but the drugs knocked me out.)

Oral steroids, muscle relaxers and darvacet...

Seems to be knocking the edge off pretty good... but I can still feel it. It's kinda weird. I can feel where it's SUPPOSED to be hurting (tight muscles, ect)... but it DOESN'T hurt.

Of course... no working (I drive a truck) or shooting on narcotics... so my weekend is screwed....

Frank