Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a plated or jacketed bullet for .45

cypher

My gun range (indoor range) will allow me to draw from the holster and practice at their facility.  They do not allow lead bullets however.

Since all I've ever loaded is a 200g Hard cast L-SWC in the H&G 68 style I was wondering if any of you could recommend something along those lines.

I only pay like $30/m for my current bullets, and I know jacketed or plated are going to set me back substantially more... but I would like to stay as economical as possible (more shooting).

I have looked at Montana Gold, West Coast Bullets, and Zero Bullets.  All seem like fine products.  All are pricey compared to what I'm shooting now.  I may end up having to pay that anyway, but I would like to try at least to find a cheaper source.

Does anybody know of any sources in the Tampa Bay area for economically priced jacketed or plated bullets?

Maybe one of the above has a distributor in FL.

Homero

I use West Coast, and what we've done around here is get a group of shooters together a couple of times a year to buy in bulk.  If you buy enough, and have a place to ship to, you can have them sent freight, and bring the shipping cost down.

You'll need a locaiton that has a shipping dock/forklift available.

I highly recommend against using Ranier's 200 SWC. I have 3 .45 acp pistols. All will feed every bullet style, even an empty case when inserted into a mag between live rounds. None will feed Ranier's 200's with ANY reliability.

At this years SHOT show, I asked Ranier if they had any problems with their 200 grain 45's. The person in the booth said, "You mean feeding? Yea, we get all kinds of complaints about them, but no one has figured out why they won't work." I admired his honesty!

If you look at the diameter of the truncated cone portion of the bullet, top and bottom of the cone, it is considerably small than an H&G 68 style bullet. I believe this reduced diameter changes the angle of bullet feed by delaying when the bullet hits the feed ramp. Just my opinion and the guy at the booth said he would have a look at that.

I recommend using the Hornady 200 gr. JSWC-CT bullet. It reliably feeds in my guns (ramped and unramped). You can buy them at Graf & Sons in bulk.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm putting Ranier down. I use their 147 gr. RN-FP in my super.

Marvin

"If you don't like your job, don't strike. Just go to work every day and do it really half-assed" - Homer Simpson

What is the reliability difference between a hardcast lead H&G68 200 SWC and a Ranier plated 200 SWC? Most likely, the lead in the Ranier is soft - possibly pure lead. If you are going to plate it, why use an expensive hard lead alloy? Moreover, I believe all the plated bullets are originally swaged, and that process requires soft lead.

The Raniers I have used had very thin electrocoats. If the nose of the SWC deforms during feeding, that deformation could cause a malfunction that would not happen with hardcast. I don't believe the plate is thick enough on Raniers to protect the soft lead.

From what I have seen, the electrocoat on available plated bullets is:

Berry's - thinest

Ranier - slightly thicker

Westcoast - quite substantial

I also go in with local shooters and for .45, I pay about $45 to $50/1000 200grn bullets.  Westcoast makes a 200 grn roundnose that I think is ideal for .45. Lots of local guys shooting .40 like the 200 grn rounded flatpoint.

Westcoast will sell you 200 sample bullets in the weight/style of your choice to try out.  Sorry if this reads like a Westcoast advertisement. I like their product.

I have had the same results with the Rainier 200 SWC that Ron has had. I have shot about 2000 of them with no problems.

I have tested the Rainier 185 FP,200 SWC & 200 Hex HP and have found that all three work and are pretty damn accurate out of my full house SpringField 5" pistol & I use the 200 Hex HP in my Colt/SpringField Compgun for a practice Pin Load. Both of those pistols have Kart barrels in them. Tommy has just build me a new full house 5" 45 on a SpringField frame & slide, it has a Bar-Sto barrel in it. The first trip to the range it did not like the 185 FP's at all but shoot the 200 SWC & 200 Hex HP pretty damn good.

I am thinking of getting me some of the Hornady 200 JSWC-C/T's to try. Glad to hear that someone has tested them and had good results.