Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compressing a reverse plug/bull bbl set-up

UW Mitch

The other night I was working on two guns that have bull barrels. So I needed to compress the spring and reverse plug and put my little paper clip in it to reassemble after cleaning. It was a real pain in the ass. So I came up with this. I look a 1911 bushing tool, drilled a hole in the center slightly larger than the guide rod, then milled a little slot for the paper clip to pass through. So now I can get a better handle on compressing the spring and putting the paper clip in.

Hope this helps. What other shortcut tools have you guys made?

~Mitch

post-12026-1241759701_thumb.jpg

i drilled a hole towards the side of a small block of wood, small enough so the rod would fit but not the plug, and opened up a side of the hole so i could insert the "paper clip". gets the assembly back together.

have fun on saturday.

This was for the STI Tactical in 45acp - full dust cover, 18# spring. :) Glad everyone else has their work around!

Dave - let me know when your block of wood wears out (you've seen my moon clip pusher right?) - I'll send you one of these plastic jobs.

~Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

I like the ability to use a simple bent paperclip for my Open guns. I can always find one - in fact there are probably 30 of them at various places in my shooting bag, stuck in my carpet, etc.

My new carry gun is frustrating. It's a Springfield Armory EMP in .40 S&W (a size-reduced 1911 with 3-inch barrel), and the guide rod has no hole in it. The diameter of the rod is probably too small to allow a useful hole without weakening the part, and they provide a little plastic piece to use. It's a half-cylinder, with the inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the guide rod, and it snaps into place over the guide rod when the spring is compressed.

My problem is that they provide only one of these 5-cent "tools". If I lose it, I'm pretty much screwed!

Is there a standard "field expedient" method for guns like this, should the little plastic tool get lost? I suspect that other small 1911-variants have similar spring arangements?

(Yes, I'm contacting Springfield to order a pile of these plastic doo-dahs.)

• 5 weeks later...