Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Bullets? Weight And Style For Major?

PistolPete

I've done some searches on this topic but what I've come up with is that Montana Gold is almost always the #1 choice so i'm going to go with these. What weight bullet do you use? I'm thinking 180 grain? Also is it worth the extra money to buy JHP's?

Also, if you shoot these for IPSC then what do you use for steel? We aren't supposed to use jacketed bullets for steel so what do you use? I've always used lead in my 1911's but don't want to in my SVI.

Thanks,

Pete

I use 180 gr. Rainier plated flat points. They easily make major with N350.

I use 155 Rainier flat points seated .060" deeper into the case with the same powder charge of N350 for steel.

Hope that helps.

Ray C.

I use Zero, MG and Prec. 180 gr bullets. Whatever I can get easier. I have had better accuracy with the JHP in my STI and Glock. I also run alot of lead bullets. I have tried the 155 gr bullets, but prefer the 165 gr. I am staying with the 180 gr bullets for the rest of this season. I also recently used the 200 gr bullets and liked them also.

Mike

Can you still easily make major with a lighter than 180 grain bullet? With the 155 grain jhp's do you need to overload them to make major?

Maybe for steel I'll pick up some plated bullets. I've tried West Coast plated bullets in 185 grain SWC's (.45) and I had a ton of trouble with my open gun. Many people at my range use these but in the 200 grain rounded without any problems and they love them. Maybe I'll pick some of these up for steel.

Keep the tips coming I appreciate it.

Pete

PistolPete, I never had any problems making major with 155s and never felt like they were overloaded to make major. Obviously, care must be taken when reloading any caliber, regardless of what weight bullet is being used. I used the MG 155s at about a 169 PF and for a long time was shooting them through those supposedly unsupported factory Glock barrels. No problems. I liked the way the gun felt and responded to the lighter bullets in the 40.

Same opinion - 180 grain JHP. I use Zero, costs $1 more per thousand, versus the JFP, which smokes a little bit more. Montana Gold is just as good.

If you can get another brand like Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady at a low price, do it. But MG and Zero are the lowest cost that are accurate & available.

Hornady XTP is the most accurate I've ever seen; I still buy a box of 100 now & then just to see how a new gun "really" groups.

If you HAVE to shoot steel with lead, I'd get moly-coated lead. Smokes less than regular lead but still 10 times more than a JHP and Titegroup powder.

dvc - eric - a28026

Hi Pete,

MGB's are not the only way to go, but they are a personal and large favorite. You can safely make major with 155's. Try Vihtavoury N320 or 3N37. Both will do you well. I want to say that your load will be somewhere around 5.0 +/- grains, but only testing will tell your exact load. The other thing is that don't forget to load them long. It will reduce felt recoil and make the gun feed more reliably. Spec OAL for .40 is 1.135". I load them at 1.200" w/ some friends going out to 1.250" (I think. Basically as long as it still fits in the mag).

As for JHP's, there is no appreciable accuracy gain for the additional cost.

If you choose to go a lead or moly bullet, that will work too. Oregon Trail makes great bullets in both styles.

In general, I stay away from plated bullets, after seeing how many were keyholing on friends' open guns. Plating shearing off is kind of a bad thing.

Hope that helps.