Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwells for a .45

ShaunH

I'm trying to decide which magwell to purchase for my .45. I've used a Smith and Alexander magwell and I really liked it, but I saw a Techwell system from Techwear and it looks like a good setup too. Anybody use a Techwell or a both? Comments? It's for L-10 not carry.

X

Edited by ShaunH

Shaun,

I have used an SA magwell from the very beginning. Bill M. just got the techwell system for his. We will both be at the SS match in Albany next Saturday if you want to take a look at both of them. I like the SA. :)

Trevor

I replaced an SA on my .40 SS gun with a Techwell XT....the big one. It's on the verge of being a little too deep, but it's awesome. I took mine to the disc sander and made it maybe .20" shorter so it's easier to seat the mags (you need long basepads or Tripps System mag with the XT). I think it can actually be a lighter setup than a steel SA if you go with a light mainspring housing (like polymer). I think the prettiest of the big magwells is still the SV, but it's a lot more involved to put on and isn't quite as a big a funnel.

If you miss the Techwell so bad that you totally blow a reload you've really missed it! If you're even close to a decent reload it'll save your bacon pretty handily. That's worth quite a bit to me since you reload so much in SS or L-10 and there are so more many opportunities per match to blow one. Nothing replaces practice, but a bigger margin for error that will still make for an acceptable reload is a nice insurance policy. R,

I'm trying to decide which magwell to purchase for my .45. I've used a Smith and Alexander magwell and I really liked it, but I saw a Techwell system from Techwear and it looks like a good setup too. Anybody use a Techwell or a both? Comments? It's for L-10 not carry.

X

I'd lean towards the S&A because it has worked great for me and many other shooters for years. But I do like the midsize Techwell. I believe they make 3 sizes and the midsize one would be just about right for L10. If you want to use any style grip you want then you definitely should go with the S&A.

I love my techwell. I got all three sets from Bob and it has easily been one of my best investments. I can switch between the carry, mid and extra large quickly without messing with the mainspring or fitting. I'd highly recommend it.

doubless.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I lean towards the SVI aluminum magwell. It comes with a aluminum MSH as well. You need extended wilson pads trimmed up to fit the box or Tripp system mags to work well. Feels just like the SVI magwell on my eagle though that I use for IDPA.

DSC00659.jpg

I have the midsized Techwear on my Trojan, and it works really well for both IDPA and USPSA. Plus, the grips fit my hand well and look great - black grips on chrome gun with silver magwell.

The biggest difference between the S&A and TechWell is how the gun balances. The TW is very light, and if you are running a poly MSH, it takes wuite a bit of weight out of the rear of the gun (my setup weighed 39.5oz at the SSC - Kimber Target II, TW Carry, 47DE shaved). With any of the TW's, you might want to run extended base pads - even the Carry model is a bit taller than the S&A.

If you get the techwell, go with the midsized version... The big one is too deep even for extended pads.

The XT will work with the Wilson DE length pad....think they're .625" tall. I don't have the meatiest hands in the world so I took a little off the bottom of the XT and it gives a little added insurance that the mag will seat. For some folks that probably wouldn't be necessary. On a McCormick mag I had to make a little spacer to get it to the length of the Wilson setup, but it seems to work fine as well. R,

If you get the techwell, go with the midsized version... The big one is too deep even for extended pads.

I think I'm with Matt on this one for Single Stack Division. I ordered the bigger one (XT) and even with extended Wilson basepads I don't like error margin for seating the mags. The big one is going back and I'm ordering the medium (SP) one. For SSD I think the SP size is the better option. I'm sure the L10 guys will love the XT size since they have the longer mags.

I don't like error margin for seating the mags

That's the issue. You can seat them, but not with the room to do it quick.

I cut about .200" off the bottom of mine.

I never had one not seat properly prior, but that's about how much I took off mine as well....a little insurance rarely hurts. R,

I prefer the S&A or the Heinie magwells, they give a better funnel action to the opening. They are made of steel and won't deform with a hard hit. They might not be the largest openings out there but they aren't so big that you miss them.

Rich

doubless.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

I lean towards the SVI aluminum magwell. It comes with a aluminum MSH as well. You need extended wilson pads trimmed up to fit the box or Tripp system mags to work well. Feels just like the SVI magwell on my eagle though that I use for IDPA.

DSC00659.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. The gray TW looks fantastic, what grips are those?

I went with S&A, but when I get my Trojan .40, I'll probably go with a Techwell. I know the S&A works well with my Wilson T47 10 rounders just fine. Now to decide if I'm going large or medium on the Techwell.