Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Resizing 40 Shells

Jasonub

Guys I need some advice on my current reloading setup.

My problem is when I reload I need to reshape the die since about 10 percent of my shells have expanded on the base and my dillon dies cannot reshape the base to proper dimentions.

Thus I sometimes get ftfs since the bullet wont chamber properly.

I heard that there are manufacturers out there that sell dies which completely resizes the whole brass.

I would like to purchase one for my 550. I cannot afford a single stage to do the resizing. I want to just replace my dillon resizing/depriming die with a die that resizes the whole case and also deprimes.

Thanks for the answers and could you give me some links on where to buy it?

Regards,

Jason

My EGW .40S&W die has put an end to the high rate of cartridges which failed to gauge. Some sources of once-fired brass produce more rejects than others, and my latest source produced so many I had to get the EGW die. I only wish I had got it sooner.

You can save all the money and do as I did. Remove metal from the bottom of the re-sizing die until you get to the carbide re-sizing ring. Do not cut the carbide. This has worked great for me, evev with pot-bellied glock brass.

The EGW die is undersized by, I think, about .001and it works great. I use one for .38 super and can resize almost anything. Plus the undersize tells me immediately if I get a 9X23 in the mix somehow. The resizing effort goes up astronomically.

I haven't had to buy one for my .40 as almost anybodies dies will size the Glock bulge out except Dillon. Dillon designs just about everything well, but their sizing dies are just too expanded at the bottom. I'm currently using a Hornaday sizing die and it takes glock brass right down to fit my Scheumann barrel just fine.

One note of caution, I ruined a Lee die by grinding down the mouth. I didn't hit the carbide ring, but it came out the first time I tried to run a shell through it. I was faced with a .40 case with a carbide donut on it. Apparantly the die I grinded down held the carbide in with some kind of lip that I ground off.

Jasonub,

I agree with Paul B, The problem with the dillon resizing die seems to be that it doesn't get far enough down the case.

It's a matter of depth.

The EGW resizing die is undersized in diameter...though it's depth is taken care of as well.

Just to beat this home a bit more ;) ...I won't reload 40 without an FDC.

Jasonub, I used a dremel tool and took my time. I had heard about the carbide rings coming out if too much was cut out and was careful to leave enough material to hold it in.

BTW I have seen the "carbide doughnut" happen with brand new-never altered Lee dies more than once.

Jasonub, I bought the EGW sizing die and all my problems went away regarding resizing the Glock guppy. As I recall it was a small investment to solve a big problem.

Flex, What is the difference between the FDC and the Dillon crimp die. I have not had any problems with the Dillon crimping die. But if the FDC is worth it I will pick one up for my 40 cal.

Jim

Ironman

the lee factory crimp die tapers crimps just like the dillon, but it also resizes the brass at the same time.

since you already have a "good" sizer die you might not need the fcd.

but the fcd will help take the hour glass out after the bullet is seated...

sno

Unfortunately, you mentioned that you couldn't afford a single stage. Thankfully my loving father loves to reload and as such not only picks up all the nickel once fired .40 from the local sheriff's for me (fired out of Sigmas and S&W's) but resizes them with two hits (rotating 180 degrees between) on his single stage (I told you that he loves me).

I've made his life a little simpler by finally ordering another set of dies for my Case-Pro. Hooked up to a Dillon casefeeder, you can resize about 1000 pieces in 20-30 minutes. The price is somewhere around $450 (www.casepro.net). I bought one before I started shooting Open and used it for the incidental range brass .38 Super that I would pick up (I actually just resize everything since it's just easier that way). Initially it's expensive, but when you look at it from a standpoint of you spend a couple of hours resizing 5000 pieces of brass that you pick up in bulk and then reload as necessary it's priceless (I catch grief ffrom my carpool buddies that when they show up to the house before a match I'm reloading the match ammo for the day...what can I say, I like sleep).

Something to consider.

We have gone over this one before but believe it or not,i have no fat rounds since changing to the lee resizing and factory crimp dies.A-merc, no problems ,i have even run a few .357 sig cases through.The only way to identitfy them was the head stamp.What the resizing dies misses the factory crimp die gets!

I shoot an sti 2011 with a shueman match barrel so they need to be right.

Time for meds :wacko:

Well i took everybodies advice and ordered an EGW die but it has not come yet......i had some brass that would no way case check.....i used to shoot a glock 40 cal years ago and when i was looking through my die box i found an RCBS shell holder that i had ground off the top surface so it would put more of the shell in the sizer.....well guess what--i single stage sized a few and they dropped in my case guage like a rocket....i had forgotten that i had solved the problem years ago.......now to see if the EGW die helps with progressive loading........D I C K