Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Energy Stimulants/supplements

cybrosh

Pre-match intake. Stop and Jack in the Box for:

- Steak & Egg Breakfast Burrito (1-2 packets of Taco Sauce)

- No hashbrowns

- French Toast Sticks & Syrup

- 1.5 Large Diet Cokes

Hit a stop 'n' rob on the way and pick up a good, low sugar protein bar and a gallon of water. Pre-match nutrition/health prep is hydration 3-4 days prior (mildly more aggressive than normal w/ water), night before 800mg of Motrin (old Army, night before a PT test trick). I'm getting my nutrition under control. My trainer loves it and hates it. I'm dropping a lot of weight (I need to), and I'm getting a lot stronger and faster. It's like Mr. Voigt said this weekend to tell him, "I can eat more than you can make me burn!". :D

Rich

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have any caffeine it has to be at least two hours before I shoot or I'll crush my grips flat (and they're steel) or grind my teeth to nubs.

I have a metabolism like a race horse so the best thing for me is to keep my blood sugar stable. I bonk in a big way and really suddenly, seemingly without warning, if I don't do that. I like to get up early, have a small breakfast and then a steady intake of high protein/fiber snacks and plenty of water all day long. The object it to not get full; just....not hungry, so I'll just graze all day long. The ultimate Excalibur vittles so far has been egg salad or tuna sandwiches on multigrain bread + apples eaten with cheese.

Fact is, I can't go anywhere without food or a plan to get some.

Since we are also disclosing negative side effects, and I happened to have mentioned the ephedrine tablets once sold at truck stops (think it was called "Max Alert"??) - I thought I might add:

-one of the possible side effects of ephedrine is: death.

There is good reason that the pure ephedrine stuff is banned now, and even the psuedo-ephdrine in cold remedies is kept behind the counter since its used by junkies to make crank! School kids sometimes got ahold of ephedrine & when too much is ingested, it can cause heart attacks. It is not suitable for our sport.

As for Mate tea, if it has any bad side effects, I am not aware of what they might be. Supposedly it even kills all germs (though I believe that is a myth).

Did a little google work Top 10 harmful side effects of caffeine

1. Caffeine makes your heart beat abnormally fast which is very harmful for people who have high blood pressure or a history of heart disease.

2. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels in your brain causing many people in get massive headaches.

3. Caffeine is a strong diuretic causing your body to become dehydrated and the #1 symptom of dehydration is fatigue.

4. Some people experience tremors after drinking caffeine. That’s thought to be due to over-activation of the central nervous system.

5. One recent report from the US revealed that women who drink in excess of one cup of coffee every day are only half as likely to be able to get pregnant as those who drink no coffee at all.

The odds are considerably worse if women drink more than two cups a day. Then they are nearly 5 times less likely to be able to get pregnant as women who drink no coffee at all.

6. Caffeine can cause tension or stiffness in your neck, shoulders, jaw, hands, legs or stomach.

7. Caffeine can cause mood swings or periods of depression during the day.

8. Caffeine can cause coldness in the extremities, especially in your hands and feet because it restricts circulation. This is very common side effect in women.

10. Caffeine can cause you to wake up feeling tired because it inhibits your bodies ability to sleep properly and get into REM sleep. Caffeine may also cause insomnia.

Edited by Carlos

I start off with a couple cups of home-brewed Starbucks and some fruit, then hit a convience store on the way to the match for a Starbucks "Double Shot" canned esspreso drink.

Gotta have the caffine !!!!!!! :wacko:

If you are looking for healthly energy check out this website: www.myverve.com/jmaique.

It has all the information you need about the product. If you have any other questions just PM me and Ill be glad to answer them. I drink one everyday b/t 12 & 2. It helps me get through the second part of the day. It is the only thing on the market that actually gives you your recommended vitamins along with energy. I have been drinking them sicne march of 2008. Check it out and let me know what you think. You can have them shipped to your door step by UPS monthly. Shawn Marriman of the San Deigo Chargers and the Pheonix Suns both endorse the product

I sometimes take 2 Tylenol just before a match but that's just so my joints won't hurt as much.
Sadly, me, too. Sometimes I use ibuprofen.
My experience is that Gatorade G2 does better - and diluting it 1:2 w/ water is even better.
I use about 50/50 of G2 and water. If you see me drinking from a G2 bottle, I already mixed it.

Clif bar during a match as needed. As for caffeine, the day of a match is a bad day to quit. I quit drinking coffee one day which happened to be the same day as a highpower match. BAD plan. :sick: Shakes and a truly uncomfortable feeling. I have since cut back on coffee, but I like it too much to go to zero.

Lee

I start with a whole wheat english muffin and an apple for breakfast, then drink the biggest cup of coffee I can find on the way to the match. I'm usually awake and alert by the time I get there. I like to keep sunflower kernels and Snicker's "Marathon Protein" bars in my shooting bag for energy during the match.

PB - I've never though of doing a short cardio workout to wake up. That's an awesome idea. I'll have to try it.

• 7 months later...

The two best foods to eat to maintain your blood sugar levels would be a bowl of oatmeal and an apple. Try it for a week (any fruit throughout the week) and you will be glad you did. I would also say you should know your body and how much caffine you can handle. Personally, I do a cup of coffee and a coke/pepsi with the above breakfast.

Once out on the range a cliff bar, mixed nuts, a soda for lunch, a bottle of gatorade as needed and the rest is water.

I do take motrin or the like when I wake up on the day of a match (too much weight on these joints).

• 3 weeks later...

I have had great success with FRS Energy drink my favorite is the FRS Orange. There is caffeine in this as well- equivalent to 1/3 cup of coffee. The bottle states that “caffeine is used as a metabolic enhancer to help the body absorb other key nutrients in the FRS formula. This drink dose not give me the shkes or gitters like some of the other energy drinks I have used. :cheers: All I can say is give it a try.

www.frs.com

I usually wake to a bowl of oatmeal or cheerios. Then I have some oj..at the match I drink a mix of water and gatorade. I usually have some small hard canides or some granola bars. to munch on if needed.

This is pretty funny for the guys who know me they wouldnt probably guess thats would be my foods of choice..lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

cardio of any kind usually light if it is a match day but enough to get your heart rate elevated, thats the best universal way I know of, I usually follow that with extra strong coffee, 500 - 1000 mcg of vitamin B-12, a redbull or two throughout the match and about a half a pack of cigarettes. Im not saying do that but the point is whatever gets you in the zone gets you in the zone.

I have never had any negative effects performance wise due to being shaky or anxious or anything of that nature, buts thats just me, some people find otherwise. Being that action shooting is an adrenaline type sport I would think being slightly shaky may be typical anyway, and would be the least of your worries as far as accuracy when considering the other factors present that are intrinsic to the sport. Bullseye matches...I would steer clear of any stimulant.

One thing I have learned is that if you take/drink caffeine during summer matches, you need alot of water, but equally important, something to restore electrolytes as well (gatorade, orange juice, or both).

Caffeine, Redbull and nicotine to excess? Cardiologist on speed dial?

I need lots of coffee to wake up in the morning, but I recently tried 1/4 can of sugar fee Amp before a match and was totally loopy. Made it almost impossible to concentrate for the first stage, and Amp is mild in comparison to most energy drinks.

Edited by Steve J

Read most of the above. Need more coffee to read it all.

Match Day:

Breakfast, Omelet, usually Cheddar Cheese, Sausage, sometimes real, sometimes turkey. Coffee, Juice, Vitamins.

During the day:

A 6 ounce package of Tuna, Lats of water, one or two 5-hour energy drinks. Currently a few doses of Aleve (Sodium Naproxen NSAID) for some really bad neck, shoulder and arm pains.

After the match, DINNER, Steak, Fish, Chicken, Ribs, whatever is on the menu and looks good, then usually sleep, occasionally preceded by 3-4 hours of driving to get home.

Seriously, Water is your friend. You can over-hydrate, be a bit careful. Cold water, at least for me does less good than ambient.

I do recognize the need to exercise, as soon as the current crop of infirmities heals, I just might start. Probably could use a little cardio as well. As a caution to the youngsters out here, "Be kind to hour knees, you will miss them someday" I have not been kind to my knees. It is starting to show.

Jim

I'm referring to coffee tablets, energy gum, all sorts of vitamins, energy drinks, etc'?

You left off Snickers bars fresh from the cooler. Mmmmm.... Snickers....

OH Yeah, +1 on snickers from the cooler :cheers:

• 2 months later...

ill have oatmeal, protien powder and olive oil mixed up together for breakfast and then ill bring 3 things to the match: water, coffee and some kind of liquid protien drink, keeps your stomach light. but yeah i also do think a little bit of cardio and stretching before going to the match is pretty useful.

It's taken several years of trial & error, but I finally have a reliable regimen that works.

A "normal" match day at the home range is a ~1 hour drive to the range with the "usual crew" (slightly longer if I stop at the South Bloomfield McDonald's for the last bathroom with running water), then 2-3 hours of major construction using every prop in the barn (Conrad ...), a 5-stage/130+ round match (paste, set, RO), then tear down/clean up/tuck it all away neatly and burn whatever is disposable. Oh ... then a 2.5 hour drive all the way home. I've had to learn to eat & hydrate for the "long haul"... ~12 hours from alarm clock to home garage. [it would be longer if I went out for the post-match socialization].

This is what works for me; YMMV:

- vanilla yogurt with chocolate protein powder mixed in (Greek-style yogurt is wonderful for this)

- a hard boiled egg or two

- 1 or 2 DECAF ONLY - the hot fluid early in the AM gets me moving, even if it's 90 degrees out.

- half-strength OJ made up in a 32 oz bottle

- Vitamin Water "XXX" -- mix the regular stuff with the Zero-cal to cut down on the sugar effects

- any of a variety of electrolyte drink mix powders in water. I'll usually consume a total of 4-5 litres of fluid, depending upon heat/humidity.

- almonds, cashews, raisins, dried cranberries/cherries/blueberries mixed as "gorp".

- fruit -- bananas are good for the potassium, and they can be eaten safely even if my hands are a little dirty

- cut up veggies (requires clean hands to eat)

- Clif BUILDER's bar -- more protein, better carb balance than most other "energy" bars out there (thank you XRe). Foil wrapper makes the melted-coating mess manageable on a hot day

- more fruit/veggies & maybe a muffin in the car for the drive home, something that can be eaten while driving

- for longer matches, a commercial soy/veggie burger will "cook" if it's wrapped in foil on top of the car, or placed between the windshield and sun screen (car in sun). Put it out in the AM and it's ready by lunch break!

The home range allows me to stop by the car/cooler every stage or two. Next year, I'll probably get a flat-topped cooler that can go on the range cart under my gun bag to decrease the car stops.

"Grazing" and drinking continuously keeps the energy stable. I can still haul props - though not as quickly - at the 9-hour mark.