Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly Or Lead

MustangGreg66

Hey guys, I've been shooting production division for a little while and have been using Berry's Plated bullets through my G35, but after seeing how much cheaper Moly and lead are I've bought a Storm Lake SS barrel to shoot either lead or Moly through. My initial thought was to shoot moly, but after seeing how much cheaper yet lead is... it's got me thinking once again. It's time to order bullets again so which is better?

is the extra price of the moly bullets justified for minor loads? My load so far has been 3.3gr Clays loaded to 1.135 OAL with whatever 180gr bullet. I had ordered some Precision bullets to try and they worked well, then Black Bullets international are even cheaper Moly, has anyone used them? Now I've just heard about S&S Casting and they're cheaper plain lead. If I'm shooting minor with 180gr bullets will plain lead bullets build up? How often will I have to clean, is one more reliable than the other???

Hey guys, I've been shooting production division for a little while and have been using Berry's Plated bullets through my G35, but after seeing how much cheaper Moly and lead are I've bought a Storm Lake SS barrel to shoot either lead or Moly through. My initial thought was to shoot moly, but after seeing how much cheaper yet lead is... it's got me thinking once again. It's time to order bullets again so which is better?

is the extra price of the moly bullets justified for minor loads? My load so far has been 3.3gr Clays loaded to 1.135 OAL with whatever 180gr bullet. I had ordered some Precision bullets to try and they worked well, then Black Bullets international are even cheaper Moly, has anyone used them? Now I've just heard about S&S Casting and they're cheaper plain lead. If I'm shooting minor with 180gr bullets will plain lead bullets build up? How often will I have to clean, is one more reliable than the other???

There really is not a difference in reliability between lead or molly. Lead is nice and cheap but tends to be smokier than molly. Molly is a little cleaner in your dies also. You are probably gonna have to switch from Clays to Solo 1000 or WST because Clays will be too smoky with either lead or molly.

Something else you will need to consider is which bullet will work with your barrel. Some of the aftermarket barrels have tight leads that can give problems chambering lead bullets due to them being sized slightly bigger. You will have to try some to see which fit your barrell. I have been using precision bullets because they have a roundnose and most others have a truncated cone. The truncated cone bullets give me problems chambering in my G35 with lone wolf barrel.

Hmm, yea, I'm not looking to switch powders, I just bought another 8lb of Clays... I shoot at an outdoor range exclusivly, I tried the Precision bullets and didn't really notice the smoke.. but I might not have been paying enough attention.

I've tried some other bullets and it seemed like the truncated cone of Berry's worked better in my gun than the FMJ RN Precision Delta bullet I tried. The TC Precision Moly bullet seemed to work, but I didn't shoot a ton of them.

I guess I'll go with Moly, I've had some trouble with 9mm lead bullets in my conversion barrel and would like to avoid those at the match. Anyone have any experience with Precision Moly bullets vs Black Bullets International?

Just noticed you're in Richmond. Try getting ahold of John Bagakis and get Bear Creek bullets. Moly coated and made locally, in Kalifornia! Probably be a little cheaper too, no shipping costs. Most of the guys at Richmond Hotshots should be able to get his contact info. Have only shot about 6-7K of BC 9mm 125s but they work great. All thru Glocks with stock barrel. Haven't shot anyone else's lead. Plus I really like supporting gun related business in CA. Good luck.

Just noticed you're in Richmond. Try getting ahold of John Bagakis and get Bear Creek bullets. Moly coated and made locally, in Kalifornia! Probably be a little cheaper too, no shipping costs. Most of the guys at Richmond Hotshots should be able to get his contact info. Have only shot about 6-7K of BC 9mm 125s but they work great. All thru Glocks with stock barrel. Haven't shot anyone else's lead. Plus I really like supporting gun related business in CA. Good luck.

Nice, I didn't know they were in CA. I tried to get Break Creek through Cliff's Gunsmithing but they're out of stock... and in Utah or something, lol. They haddn't heard from Bear Creek in a while. I'll shoot around some emails and see if I can get John Bagakis's contact info for Bear Creek. It'd be great to get bullets locally, thanks

Edited by MustangGreg66

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't shot IPSC for more than a decade; what are the current local sources for cast/plated bullets in SoCal? (LA, OC, SB area) I remember there was a local guy that was operating out of Corona/Norco a while back; he supplied bullets to Norco Running Gun shooters. Does any one have info on him or anyone else?

Thanks,

SCMA-1