Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to find plans for USPSA action targets?

Is there a site that shows or sells plans for USPSA action targets? I'm wanting to build a few for our range but my searches don't bring up any... Also, what do they call the type that swings up (from back) and a cover then swings up (from front) to hide the target? Thanks...

They are called a variety of things:

a bear trap

a clam shell

a Max trap

As far as finding actual plans online, that might be kinda trickey. Let's say you were in the business of making steel targets. You don't necessarily want to post blue prints of all your hard work for free for some douchebag to come along and steal and then compete against you.

Really, your best bet is to ask very nicely of another club to borrow their targets so you can replicate them, especially if their club built them too.

If they aren't hip to that idea, then you can always bring along a camera, a measuring tape, and a sketch pad to the match when you go to shoot it. You should probably still ask though if it's okay.

Thanks for the name. I am often amazed at what you can find on the web and there must be someone who has plans for these targets posted online. After all, you can find plans for nuclear bombs and sarin... Now that I have the name, I can start searching.

As for finding one to examine, we have a very small membership and there are no other clubs to speak of. We do have a Texas star, a drop n turn, a swinger and a few poppers. Wanted to spice things up for the others...no commercial aspirations.

Thanks again.

kamikaze1a,

I've weldedd targets, and target stands for fun and to allow me to practice when there are other matches at our home club. (Then I can go out near the Nat'l Monument, and set up a practice.) I have noticed that some targets are rather cheap when compared to building my own. I'm not referring to pepper poppers and plate racks, but anything that involves motion. I can still make them for cheaper( I can buy steel wholesale), but when you factor in the time, sometimes it's easier and cheaper, in relation to time, to just buy them.

Just my .02, Jimmy

MScott beat me to it.

Yeah, Ken Reed (aka FreeIdaho here on the forums) has all sorts of neat stuff with pictures on his website.

I especially like those steel plate targets with the tripod legs made from rebar. The legs fold down. Very neat. :cheers:

Thanks guys! The site has a bunch of great info. There is even one that is kind of like the clamshell type. Not sure if that is how the actual one works but looks to be like it. Couple of others that are pretty cool too.

Thanks!

MScott beat me to it.

Yeah, Ken Reed (aka FreeIdaho here on the forums) has all sorts of neat stuff with pictures on his website.

I especially like those steel plate targets with the tripod legs made from rebar. The legs fold down. Very neat. :cheers:

There is another version out there. I don't know what it is called exactly. Maybe it is the "Max Trap".

The array starts out with a white paper no shoot in front of a brown "bad guy" target.

You shoot a popper to activate it. That pulls out a prop leg, which is supporting a big weight. The no shoot is hinged so that it tips forward. It goes so far forward or down revealing the whole bad guy target behind it. Then the weight drops off completely and then the white no shoot target swings back in front of the brown.

I call it a "peek-a-boo" target.

I suppose the nice thing about trying to make one of those is that there are NO springs or catches involved. It's design is probably more intuitive than the spring powered bear traps.

Edited by Chills1994