Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for best load for 308 in M1A for 3 Gun

swandme

What about accuracy? :roflol:

I have a huge preference for 168gr Match, either Sierra, Nosler or Hornady. One will be better in your gun. I again lean towards the Sierra.

Federal Match or CCI BR primers.

OAL of 2.8" or if in a single shot bolt gun 2.850"

48gr of Hodgdon BLC2, this load is 1.0gr more than what the book says. Work up to it from 2.ogr below book max, in .25gr increments.

In a 28" Target Rifle, fully prepped brass etc I get a shade under 2900fps. In a Springfield M1a National Match I get 3 shot touching at 100M with this load. It is however a little dirty and leaves a little too much sooty residue in the M1a for my liking, but accuracy rules.

Also look at Varget, 4895 and 4064.

Since you specified it in the topic. For 3 gun, I'd go with a 150 FMJ or 147. I've always used IMR4895, but, that was with 168 Match Kings. With the lighter bullets, should be a good choice.

Which M1A are you using? Is it a full size rifle?

I agree Dan, lighter bullets equal flatter trajectory and less recoil. I kind like the thought of a 125 gr ballistic tip launched out of the bbl at a high rate of speed with very little muzzle flip. H4895 would be a good choice in powder on this one too.

• 2 weeks later...

How about with the SOCOM 16? I have a bunch of 150 gr. bullets and a lot of BL-C2. Any suggestions for this combination? I've been having a hard time getting the gun to cycle perfectly. I fear the short barrel and my choice of powder and charge weight may have something to do with it. At the moment I am using a small base sizing die and 47.0 grs. of BL-C2 with the 150 gr. bullet. Any opinions on whether or not this is a good load? Anything IMR has been difficult to find locally in quantity. The Area 8 Multi Gun is fast approaching (it's a local match for me) and I'd really like to do it but I will not enter it if I have any lingering doubts about my rifle.

Dave Sinko

David,

If you already have a load that is operating and is accurate in your rifle. Do not change. If there is going to be long range targets (300Y) then zero at 200y (2" high at 100Y) and you should be good to go hold over is about 9-10" for the 300Y. If not then zero at 100Y.

You will have some velocity loss so that needs to be checked over a chronograph. Otherwise it looks good.

Conventional wisdom is... Don't use any powder slower than 4064. Doing so makes the port pressure too high and tends to bend operating rods.

As for loads, the old standard is 41.5g of 4895, behind a 168g Sierra MatchKing...

OK then... I read the article by Zediker and have become thoroughly discouraged. I am going to sell my SOCOM. I still have my brother's new unfired DPMS LR 308 in my safe and I'm not sure if I want that either. Will the DPMS be as fickle about the ammo it's fed? I do not have access to once fired LC brass and do not want to pay for it. Feeding the semiauto .308s is much more difficult than I had anticipated. Component shortages aren't making this any easier.

Dave Sinko

I have about 2500 rounds of 60's vintage Army National Match ammo that shoots moa in my SOCOM (in a J Allen Enterprises Stock). It also shoots Remington UMC (not as accurate) and Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr ( same accuracy as the NM). I have only shot it out to 200 yards. Just joined a new club with a 300 yard range. Will try it there.

OK then... I read the article by Zediker and have become thoroughly discouraged. I am going to sell my SOCOM. I still have my brother's new unfired DPMS LR 308 in my safe and I'm not sure if I want that either. Will the DPMS be as fickle about the ammo it's fed? I do not have access to once fired LC brass and do not want to pay for it. Feeding the semiauto .308s is much more difficult than I had anticipated. Component shortages aren't making this any easier.

Dave Sinko

David, don't get discouraged, I've loaded for my M21 for years. And I've yet to have a single problem. Zedikers articles just point out the oddities of .308 gas guns. As long as you know what to look for, you are ahead of the curve. And BTW Wideners has once fired LC brass on sale right now.....Wideners.....$90/500 or $173/k not that bad of a price.

And as for the DPMS...shoot it first, then decide....its far easier to "massage" into a great gun. Try one of these with it...Tubbs....softened up my AR's a lot.

Edited by Para 16

• 3 weeks later...

I have magnum primers and 3 powders. I cant get LR primers in, all I have is my LRM primers. I have IMR 4350, H414, and H4895. What would be a good load for an M1A with a 20 inch 1 in 11" twist, medium duty Krieger barrel. I am trying to work up an accuracy load for competition. I could sure use some help as it is for my teammates gun, and if his gun shoots crappy, we are doomed. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...