Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Bullets?

Batdude

As everyone knows reloading components are tough to come by these days. I'm still trying to put all the pieces and parts into place to get my new RL 550B up and fully operational. A friend pointed me to Montana Gold Bullets and they actually have bullets in quantity for several calibers I want to reload for. My hesitation is that I don't see them listed in any of the reloading books I have and as a newbie, I want to play it safe and follow the recipes to the letter.

So any pointers on manuals or other sources for reloading with Montana Gold bullets? Is there some sort of way to get an equivalent of something that is otherwise published?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Equivalent weight and similar profile for other published jacketed bullets can serve as a starting point. Load a few at one setting and chronograph. Start at minimum and work up carefully to arrive at a load that functions safely and makes your desired power factor. Err on the side of caution and you should be OK.

It looks like you are new here as well, so welcome. Look in the reloading areas on this forum and you will find plenty of good load info. I know it is not a loading manual but there are hundreds of good reliable posts on here listing all types of bullets, powder, primers, etc. Just search your caliber in the reloading section and start reading.

As to your initial question, you won't always find a brand of bullet in a load manual. As NMC said look for same type, weight, shape, etc in the manuals and that will give you a good start point.

Do not think that your inability to find Montana Gold bullets in a manual means they are an "off" brand or something. They are highly regarded bullets used by a whole bunch of reloaders who shoot the various pistol games.

Also, don't try my plan of doing without a chrono. If you don't have one put one at or near the top of your shopping list. Every gun shoots every load different even within the same type and will react different as well.

As for all the parts to your 550, you can find alot of help with your dillon stuff here as well. The folks here will amaze you with their knowledge and their willingness to share it.

Good luck

From a safety point of view, an important issue when changing the bullet is what that does to the internal volume of the case. For any given amount of powder, less space means higher pressure when the primer ignites the powder.

If the new bullet is shorter than the one in the original load, and you assemble the round with the same overall length, the difference in length means there is more space in the case, and pressure will be lower. If the new bullet is longer, loading to the same OAL means less space and higher pressure. (Either case assumes that the bullet bases are the same, and assumes also that they are of the same weight).

IF you have the dimensions of the original bullet you can make an adjustment in OAL for the new bullet that compensates. For example, if the new bullet is shorter by 0.010", then the internal case volume will be the same as with the original bullet if the OAL is shortened by the same amount.

If you DON'T have the dimensions, then you have to start low with a published load (preferably one from the new bullet manufacturer or the powder manufacturer) and work up.

I use Montana Gold Bullets and couldn't be happier. They are a good value, accurate and consistent.

If you use the search feature on this website for your bullet weight you'll probably find several loads for most common calibers.

When i started loading earlier this year I had a similar question so i emailed Montana Gold. Here is the email text:

My email to Montama Gold - I am interested in using your bullets in reloading .40 S&W. I’m just a beginner reloader and I’m trying to find loading recommendations like those found in reloading manuals like Speer and Lyman. However, none of the manuals I have looked at contain information on Montana Gold bullets. Specifically, I’m looking at .40 S&W loads for now but I will be doing other calibers in the future. Can you recommend a manual that contains your bullets or can you provide loading information you have researched?

Any help is appreciated.

Montana Gold's Reply - All the information found in the major reloading manuals refer to that firms bullets. we do not have reloading information for our jacketed bullets, however if you use information for jacketed, not lead or plated, bullets in the approate weight you will be in the ballpark. it would be a good idea to have a case guage to check your loaded round settings. do not exceed listed powder charges.