Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Mk3 ejection problems

Precision40

Got a NIB Ruger Mk3 .22 that just hit the 1000rd mark with CCI Mini-Mags. The first 300 was a nightmare, jam-o-matic, but it it calmed down and is now about 95% reliable. Out of 100rds I'll still get 3-5 FTE's. Half the time it short-cycles, the other half it seems to pop the spent case around behind the ejector and left side of the slide or it jams between the guide-rod and new-case being fed. I'm stumped at this point.

The really strange thing is that when it short-cycles, I instantly know because it feels like a squib. I thought CCI Mini-Mags were supposed to be a little higher quality and run hotter than standard .22LR

I've cycled the bolt by hand several thousand times, shot it and shot it with lots of oil, cleaned it and it still jams. Short of sending it to Clarks which I'm going to do anyways for that silly feed-ramp lip, what can I do?

Any suggestion?

A new extractor might do you some good. The Clark and Volquartzen are both good and available from Brownell's, Midway, etc. for about $12. This fixed one of my Rugers that I was having the same problem with.

I have a MKIII 512 that's got about 2k rounds through it. I get the same FTE when I get a weak round. The VQ extractor is supposed to be the bees knees, but I just run quality ammo when I want it to run reliably and it does. Mine runs 100% UNLESS there's a bad round.

Got a NIB Ruger Mk3 .22 that just hit the 1000rd mark with CCI Mini-Mags. The first 300 was a nightmare, jam-o-matic, but it it calmed down and is now about 95% reliable. Out of 100rds I'll still get 3-5 FTE's. Half the time it short-cycles, the other half it seems to pop the spent case around behind the ejector and left side of the slide or it jams between the guide-rod and new-case being fed. I'm stumped at this point.

The really strange thing is that when it short-cycles, I instantly know because it feels like a squib. I thought CCI Mini-Mags were supposed to be a little higher quality and run hotter than standard .22LR

I've cycled the bolt by hand several thousand times, shot it and shot it with lots of oil, cleaned it and it still jams. Short of sending it to Clarks which I'm going to do anyways for that silly feed-ramp lip, what can I do?

Any suggestion?

You might want to check out the Rimfire Central website. They have almost all the information you could ever want.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276769

There is a magazine feed lip mod that seems to help some people:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10...zine-tweak.html