Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1,000 help?

Fire_Medic

So I'm new to reloading, loading right now for my G19 with KKM barrel. I went with Solo 1,000 on the recommendation of a member on another board, and all the great reviews on it I found here on BE. However, my (2) loads I have done up so far have been very smoky. I'm shooting 125gr Lead RN from Missouri Bullet Company, no leading in the barrel at the moment. I know most will say the smoke is from the lead, deal with it, but there was "A LOT" of powder residue on the inside of my gun and the breech of the barrel when I stripped it down to clean it, it was caked on. Why so much unused powder residue?

A few of the things I have found along the way, and some questions.

If I load to OAL of 1.120 or more the rounds will not cycle properly in my gun with this barrel, even if they fit properly in the case gauge. This would just be from the profile of the lead bullet and the tighter tolerances of the KKM barrel correct?

I get better accuracy with the longer OAL, best groupings with 1.15 for me with this bullet and barrel. These findings correct? Does longer OAL usually lead to better accuracy?

I've worked up a few batches using 3.2 & 3.4 grains of the powder, abiding by the load data from Accurate. Love how soft shooting it is but not liking the black smoke with every shot and the residue left behind inside my firearm. Would going higher on the grains make it burn cleaner?

I'm using mixed headstamped range brass, WSP, 125gr LRN bullets and the Solo 1,000. I bought 8lbs of the powder so want to make it work for me. But shooting indoors the smoke was just too much, despite the well ventilated range.

Any input or help would be appreciated. I just wonder if I'm loading too light as many of you are @ 4.0 grains or higher with this powder. And by the way both weight charges (3.2, 3.4) cycled my slide fine, just the brass doesn't fly very far.

Thanks B)

Maybe try bumping the loads up a little. Seem like it might be a pretty light load. I've been using 3.6 to 3.8 grains of Solo 1000 under a 125 grain lead bullet to make about a 128 pf. I don't notice much smoke and it burns pretty clean in my gun.

Maybe try bumping the loads up a little. Seem like it might be a pretty light load. I've been using 3.6 to 3.8 grains of Solo 1000 under a 125 grain lead bullet to make about a 128 pf. I don't notice much smoke and it burns pretty clean in my gun.

What is your barrel length?

Thanks,

A.T.

What is your barrel length?

Thanks,

A.T.

Exactly what I was going to ask.

The g19 barrel is 4.02 inches long.

Your load is fairly light, but with the shorter OAL, you may not have to go to 3.7 or 3.8 gr of Solo 1000 to get to 130pf. You really need to chrono the load and work up to power factor and see if you get a cleaner burn.

You will have to accept some amount of smoke. There is no getting around smoke with leand and moly reloaded rounds. With that said, your results are not typical from Solo 1000. Lots of humidity and no air movement will make the smoke thicker.

Getting some soot on the end of the barrel is also typical for this mix, but caked on residue is very unusual. I'm wondering if you may have some residual liquid of some sort in your brass, like polishing fluid, that may be stunting the powder burn.

Who made the lead rounds and what is their diameter. It's possible the bullet is not sealing off in the barrel immediately upon ignition and you are getting some gasses leaking around the side of the bullet and burning some of the lube causing the smoke and soot build-up.

Lastly, if everything else fails, try a different powder and see if you get the same results. WST was the next best powder I found for lead and Moly rounds in 9mm for nice soft loads without cho cho train smoke. If you try WST and get the same results, it's the bullet and not the powder.

So to sum up recommendations:

1. ensure the brass doesn't have residue inside the cases after tumbling

2. work up your load to 129-132 pf and see if the increased load stops the problems

3. check the diameter of the bullet, .355 or .356 should be OK, smaller is a problem

4. try WST and see if the problem persists.

Your load is fairly light, but with the shorter OAL, you may not have to go to 3.7 or 3.8 gr of Solo 1000 to get to 130pf. You really need to chrono the load and work up to power factor and see if you get a cleaner burn.

You will have to accept some amount of smoke. There is no getting around smoke with leand and moly reloaded rounds. With that said, your results are not typical from Solo 1000. Lots of humidity and no air movement will make the smoke thicker.

Getting some soot on the end of the barrel is also typical for this mix, but caked on residue is very unusual. I'm wondering if you may have some residual liquid of some sort in your brass, like polishing fluid, that may be stunting the powder burn.

Who made the lead rounds and what is their diameter. It's possible the bullet is not sealing off in the barrel immediately upon ignition and you are getting some gasses leaking around the side of the bullet and burning some of the lube causing the smoke and soot build-up.

Lastly, if everything else fails, try a different powder and see if you get the same results. WST was the next best powder I found for lead and Moly rounds in 9mm for nice soft loads without cho cho train smoke. If you try WST and get the same results, it's the bullet and not the powder.

2. work up your load to 129-132 pf and see if the increased load stops the problems

3. check the diameter of the bullet, .355 or .356 should be OK, smaller is a problem

Thanks for all of your advice.

1. Brass is clean

2. Todays loads were at the listed max of 3.6grs, how much higher would you recommend I go?

3. The bullets are .356 Lead Round Nose from Missouri Bullet Company

4. Will try it if I can get it. How do you feel about W231, my local guy has some of that?

Thanks again. :)

1. Brass is clean

2. Todays loads were at the listed max of 3.6grs, how much higher would you recommend I go?

4. Will try it if I can get it. How do you feel about W231, my local guy has some of that?

Many USPSA loads are not listed or go higher or lower than listed sources. Solo 1000 is an odd powder when related to what's losted by AA. The original company, Scot, listed different amounts. I will say though, you have to really know what to look for when it comes to pressure if you are going to go over max listed pressure. Some shooter have successfully done this with Solo 1000 and not gotten into max pressure issues. If you comfortable with your knowledge about pressure signs, you can try going over the max listed. You really really need to chrono your loads and determine if you NEED to try a touch more powder or not. Ultimately, it just might not be worth pushing a higher chamber pressure with Solo 1000 when there are other powders out there you can use much safer. I will say I am not a fan of trying to push the lighter 9mm bullets through 4" or shorter barrels and trying to make minor pf with Solo 1000. You will end up walking the line on pressure. Most shooters are pushing the 147gr bullets and this will make minor pf through the 4" barrel much easier.

.356 diameter should be OK. I have no experience with Missouri Bullets, so not sure if their lube is the problem or not.

W231 is also a decent powder, and I have read some who have used it with lead successfully. Search the 9mm reloading page and you should come across some data for a load.

1. Brass is clean

Many USPSA loads are not listed or go higher or lower than listed sources. Solo 1000 is an odd powder when related to what's losted by AA. The original company, Scot, listed different amounts. I will say though, you have to really know what to look for when it comes to pressure if you are going to go over max listed pressure. Some shooter have successfully done this with Solo 1000 and not gotten into max pressure issues. If you comfortable with your knowledge about pressure signs, you can try going over the max listed. You really really need to chrono your loads and determine if you NEED to try a touch more powder or not. Ultimately, it just might not be worth pushing a higher chamber pressure with Solo 1000 when there are other powders out there you can use much safer. I will say I am not a fan of trying to push the lighter 9mm bullets through 4" or shorter barrels and trying to make minor pf with Solo 1000. You will end up walking the line on pressure. Most shooters are pushing the 147gr bullets and this will make minor pf through the 4" barrel much easier.

.356 diameter should be OK. I have no experience with Missouri Bullets, so not sure if their lube is the problem or not.

W231 is also a decent powder, and I have read some who have used it with lead successfully. Search the 9mm reloading page and you should come across some data for a load.

Ok thanks again for your help, the thing then would be what the heck do I do with about 7lbs of Solo 1,000, lol.

Solo is a great powder, and getting more and more popular in competition shooting. If you try out 147 gr bullets and/or eventually go to a 17 or 34/35, this powder will probably be your ticket. Many are also using it very successfully in 40 and 45 acp loads. If you decide to go to another powder you can save it for future use or sell it to someone. I would imagine someone would buy it off of you at a local match the first time you announced it was for sale.

Solo is a great powder, and getting more and more popular in competition shooting. If you try out 147 gr bullets and/or eventually go to a 17 or 34/35, this powder will probably be your ticket. Many are also using it very successfully in 40 and 45 acp loads. If you decide to go to another powder you can save it for future use or sell it to someone. I would imagine someone would buy it off of you at a local match the first time you announced it was for sale.

Precisely. I love S-1000 in .45 and under 147's in 9MM. Although I've ran quite a few 115's with it, my only impression from that is filling a niche for very soft loads for new or recoil sensitive shooters...no experience with 124/125's. If I were the OP, I'd just run some heavier bullets next order and smile. I ran through a couple of hundred of my load today (3.4 grains under a 147 grain FMJ) and its a very good combination.

I use and like Solo 1000. It is a bit sooty but the soot seems to just wipe off. You'll find there's a threshold where it makes enough pressure to burn efficiently. As you work your loads up, figure your fps per grain (velocity divided by charge weight). If the load is too lite this number will be low. In the range the powder burns efficiently the fps/grains number will be very consistent.

Sorry for the late reply. I have a 5" barrel. I didn't realize 3.6 gr. was the max load. I get no pressure signs at 3.8, but I will stay at 3.6 or below from now on. No reason to go above SAAMI pressure for 9mm minor when you can just switch to another powder.

Most of us are running 3.4-3.5 even with a 147 grain bullet.

I'm willing to bet you can go to 4.0 or more with a 125 and not see an issue.

Solo is a great powder in 9mm. If I can get it to work in .45, I may switch to it across the board, although Clays has been my go-to powder for years.

Why so high? You should be making 125PF with much less than than, right?

since shooting production you cannot get a score if you go below I make for darn certain I never go below. What I do is start around a 130 pf then work up until the gun runs 100% with my wife shooting it weak hand only. That usually put me around 140pf.

Also, The down side of Solo is it is reverse temp sensitive so if you are going shoot somewhere where it is going to be hot you could be in trouble.

My normal load competition load is 4.0. it chronoed a 135 at IDPA nationals (75 deg) a 148 at the frozen penguin (20deg) and a 144 at indoor nationals(~60 deg). I plan on shooting USPSA nationals in Vegas and am guessing it is going to be smoking hot so I still need to test my load in some real heat.

lastly the montana gold bullets are slow, sorry, very SLOW compared to others, so it takes a bit more powder.

Some other guys have already said it but it sounds like you are a little too low. Try bumping the charge up some. If the load is too light it will not seal the bullet in the rifling and gas will get by and cause smoke. Hope that helps.

The smoke you're experiencing is probably from the bullet lube. Some bullet lube/powder combinations generate a lot of smoke! If you're not experiencing leading, your bullet size is pretty well matched to the bore size. The dirty bore is probably from the bullet lube, too, remember that bullet lube is usually a waxy substance & will leave some residue.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting solo 1000 since it first came out many years ago and I still have the original scot reloading manual. This manual has the start for a 124 grain jacked bullet at 3.7 grains and the max at 4.1 grains. The 4.1 load is published at 1028 fps and 31,600 cup. I spoke with Johan at Acurrate and he said it is ok to continue using that load data and I understand that he has told others to use less. I've probably used every different lot of solo to come out and yes some do vary, just checck each batch out and shoot it! I haven't changed my loads at all!

My favorite 9mm load is 3.8 grains solo, starline brass, wsp and a 124 grain Xtreme flat point copper plated bullet (.515 total bullet length) 1.090 OAL. This produces 980 fps and "great" accuracy, no smoke, no pressure signs, no fouling and soft and quiet. Out of a Glock 32 with a KKM 9mm 4 inch conversion barrel. I've had 100% reliability with this combination. I shoot 3.2 grains with 147 grain plated bullets "(I consider this a light load too).

The bottom line my 124 grain load is the minimun reliable load for my pistol, any lower equals dirtier, poor cycling and all your symptons! The newer lower loads people are talking about are not from actual tests, I assume some software program. The bottom line, by following the old scot manual, I can pretty much duplicate their results (in several calibers) to a "T"

I've never shot a cleaner, better all around powder then solo 1000!