Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has primers and when

tomfturner

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Midway had primers today at noon, and they were all gone by the time I checked my mail at noon-30

Did you call them? Midway is not updating their webpage to show primers in stock. You will receive an email notification but you must get on the phone to order them. To the best of my knowledge, they will not accept online orders for primers.

I got the "in-stock" email from Midway for Rem small pistol primers and tried to order 10K immediately. My order got kicked back with a notice for a 5K per customer limit but I did get an email confirmation for the 5K so we'll see if they ship. I talked to a Cabelas rep who indicated that shipments are going out, just have to wait a couple weeks. Maybe supply will loosen up a bit soon and 5K SPPs plus what I have now should get me through the summer.

I'll trade you 5000 Federal 100 primers for your stash there. that's should be about the going price for federal primers these days? seeing as how federal said that they are not going to be making any more primers available to the general public anymore.

I'll trade you 5000 Federal 100 primers for your stash there. that's should be about the going price for federal primers these days? seeing as how federal said that they are not going to be making any more primers available to the general public anymore.

Where did you hear that?

Heard it from my gun dealer when I was picking up a copy of his FFL for the IRC in 3 weeks. He is in good enough cahoots with the industry to keep his shop full of firearms and manages to keep a decent supply of powder and primers coming in. Right now I have a little of 42K federal primers on hand to keep my revo needs in check. I had started to purchase federal gold match primers about 3 years ago when the regular primers had started to get hard to get. I'm glad I paid about $24/1000 back then for them.

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2009/05/12/pr...availability-2/

Primer Availability

We have had a lot of concerned customers calling to ask about primer availability. Actually, our lines have been flooded with calls regarding the availability of primers as well as the availability of other components. The easiest and quickest way to check on availability is through our new website, whether you plan on phoning an order in, ordering off the web, or using some other means. The following is our view on the current primer situation. Basically, there has been a two-pronged drain on primer supplies for the reloading market.

The first driving force has been the huge demand for loaded ammunition through 2008 and continuing into 2009. The large primer manufacturers like ATK (which would include Federal and CCI), Winchester, and Remington are directing the majority of their primers into loaded ammunition. Ammunition sales are going through the roof as individuals stock up because of political concerns. The huge consumer demand for ammo is in addition to the demand from law enforcement agencies and our military to re-supply their own inventories. I know that smaller ammunition manufacturers have been impacted drastically by the primer shortage since their demands are higher than normal for primers that they have to obtain through Federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington, etc. Many of these smaller manufacturers have had to go to other sources to get quality primers. Because of this situation, some of them cannot keep up with their own ammunition production. Unfortunately, these smaller ammo makers can’t control their own destiny since they don’t have the capacity or tooling to make primers.

I mentioned that there were two factors impacting primer availability; the first factor is creating the second one. Since ammo demand has consumed more of the primer supply than normal, the quantity of primers on the shelf has declined at the box stores, the reloading companies (like Sinclair), and the smaller gun shops. With the fast communication via the internet, the word spreads quickly and the result has been consumers stockpiling and hoarding primers. Individuals are buying and keeping more primers in their own personal inventories and this has prevented some reloaders from having any primers at all. We normally see people buying 1,000 or maybe 5,000 primers at a time, now we are seeing customers buying 25,000 at a time.

The manufacturers are trying to react as best as they can, but their primary driving force is to keep a steady supply of primers going to the ammunition plants because they generate more revenue through this output than they do through the reloading market. A guy from CCI called the other day to order some items from us for his own reloading, and he reported that CCI has been running 24/7 and is still falling behind. They are adding two machines to their line to increase production (I don’t know what percentage gain this will give them). Federal told us a couple of weeks ago to not be surprised if we don’t see many primers from them until the end of 2009.

This is what we know as of today. Our current situation at Sinclair is that we are out of primers but are expecting some Wolf primers of all types sometime in June. We get a few Winchester primers every once and awhile but it might only be 30K to 50K at a time.

Eventually everyone will have enough stockpiled, manufacturers should catch up with ammo runs, and the supply on the shelves will hopefully return. This happened in throughout 1994, just not to this scale.

Best Regards,

Bill

I just talked to ATK. Federal has no plans to cease making primers or ammunition for the civilian consumer market. I will say this though, they were extremely rude when I talked to them.

Who has received their small pistol primer order from Powder Valley? If so when did you order?

I ordered on March 3 and I'm still waiting.

Just trying to get a clue as to whether there is anything at all happening with their backorders. :blush:

BB

Just got an email from Powder Valley that 1000 CCI Magnum Small Pistol Primers that I ordered back in March (sometime?) shipped today along with some powder that I told them to wait to ship until the primers came in. Price was $21.50 per K

I had ordered the Mag SPP because when I ordered them, they were shown as being in-stock at the time as 1K boxes, but not 5K cases.

Mark K

I was quite happy to find some srp and spp locally. You could only get 500 of each but they were $3.49 per hundred. Maybe we will see small shipments every so often.

Two local shops have sp in stock for between $30.00 and $35.00 per thousand. The one place had a sign saying "Limit 1 case per customer". I naturally asked how much for a case. The guy looks at me and says "uh... $34.95". I said no, I want a case not a box of a thousand. The guy just stood there and looked at me. I finally said something like I don't want the little 100 pack thing, I don't want the 1,000 count box, I want the 5,000 case. He finally got it and said "Oh, we aren't allowed to sell you more than 1,000. Isn't that a case?" I said nope, that's a box. The case has 5,000 in it. It's a big shop with quite a few guns in it so I stop to look sometimes but I don't buy anything from them. :rolleyes:

They shipped a K, only 49,999,000 more a they will be caught up. :roflol:

Sorry guys - typing error I ordered 10x1000, and that is what they shipped 10K.

My bad - jokes are still funny.

Mark K

Sorry couldn't resist.

Went to my supplier today and he had about 20K CCI SPP and 15K WSP. Would only seel 1K to me, but I understand. They are also getting $40 per K even for the CCI's. Can't blame him though as he was saying his cost went up nearly $50 per case from the distributors..

At least they are coming..