Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedell Shorty vs. Bedell 5"

jasmap

Is there anyone who has shot a Bedell 5" Open gun and also a Bedell Shorty Open gun? What I am interested in is the feel of the gun that you perceived. (i.e. impulse, dot movement, felt recoil, etc..) I know the Bedell guns run but I am interested in a Bedell and I'd like to weigh my options. I'd appreciate just a comparison of the two Bedell Open guns only though. Thanks!

And yep I did a search.....I just wanted specifics on the possible differences between the two.

Edited by jasmap

I have a Bedell 5" gun with a Ti comp and a shorty but with a steel comp. Both 38SC. The shorty is a bit harsher even with the steel comp but not unmanagable. I also have a 9mm Bedell shorty with a Ti comp. Haven't shot it yet so I haven't a clue how it will compare. How soon are you looking to buy a Bedell? Mine aren't for sale but if you are coming over to Albuquerque for the High Desert Classic you can shoot all three so you know what you perceive as far as recoil, etc..

CYa,

Pat

I have a Bedell 5" gun with a Ti comp and a shorty but with a steel comp. Both 38SC. The shorty is a bit harsher even with the steel comp but not unmanagable. I also have a 9mm Bedell shorty with a Ti comp. Haven't shot it yet so I haven't a clue how it will compare. How soon are you looking to buy a Bedell? Mine aren't for sale but if you are coming over to Albuquerque for the High Desert Classic you can shoot all three so you know what you perceive as far as recoil, etc..

CYa,

Pat

Thanks Pat. I am coming to the HDC and I'd love to test out that Shorty 38sc if you wouldn't mind. I really appreciate the offer.

When you say harsher, do you mean recoil into the hand or a lifting of the gun? And do you see a real difference in dot movement between the two?

I started with Bedell shorty. Then got a 5" for the wife, Soon after the wife got the shorty. I find the 5" to be smoother, softer, with less muzzle jump. The 5" just feel more stable to me epecially after I shoot the shorty. The shorty feel faster on transistions, but some what flighty. If someone has shot a shorty then shoots my 5" they say it feels sluggish, slide feels slower, dot moves slower. They also say the gun feels nose heavy. Its all what you are used to

I find the 5" more enjoyable to shoot. And if I could only have one, it would be the 5"

Edited by Supermoto

If someone has shot a shorty then shoots my 5" they say it feels sluggish, slide feels slower, dot moves slower. They also say the gun feels nose heavy. Its all what you are used to

I think that's a huge part of it. We get used to something pretty quick and a sudden change highlights the differences.

I'll offer up my Bedell Shorty for comparison as well. I've got a Quinn mount on it now so it'll give you one more perspective. Of course, you can also test the Millennium Falcon which is almost a 5" shorty....slightly shortened slide, standard barrel, and a short Ti cone comp so it has the same overall length and balance as the Bedell. R,

If someone has shot a shorty then shoots my 5" they say it feels sluggish, slide feels slower, dot moves slower. They also say the gun feels nose heavy. Its all what you are used to

I think that's a huge part of it. We get used to something pretty quick and a sudden change highlights the differences.

I'll offer up my Bedell Shorty for comparison as well. I've got a Quinn mount on it now so it'll give you one more perspective. Of course, you can also test the Millennium Falcon which is almost a 5" shorty....slightly shortened slide, standard barrel, and a short Ti cone comp so it has the same overall length and balance as the Bedell. R,

Thanks for the offer Bart!

+1 to Supermoto's comments, specifically the below:

"I find the 5" to be smoother, softer, with less muzzle jump. The 5" just feel more stable to me epecially after I shoot the shorty"

I have a Bedell shorty and my dad has a Bedell shorty and a Bedell 5". I compared my shorty and his 5" back to back and put about 400 rounds through them yesterday.

Still like my shorty, but to do it again, I'd get a 5".

Another consideration is that it takes less powder to make the same power factor with the longer tube.

I'd go with a light 5", I prefer them to the short guns by a huge margin. I can have anything I want and I shoot a light 5" 9mm. There are a bunch of Bedell Open guns around here, only one 5" but it shoots a lot nicer IMO.

I'd go with a light 5",

+1. I have a ProSX and a lightened 5" from Brazos. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...9749&st=200

The ProSX has a cut down long/wide v. the short and wide he normally uses. The 5" has short and wide with a lightened frame, lighter bbl/comp, hollow guiderod, and a shorter compensator. They handle nearly the same but the ProSX transitions and cycles a touch faster. It was a very tough choice as I actually like the way the ProSX hits you a little harder but dot on the 5" tracks better and is a little more stable. It was a very close call but my next guns will be lightened 5"s.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a Bedell shorty coming. I'll let you know what I think of it after I shoot her. If you're in the las vegas area, you're more than welcome to give her a go too.

Ive got a Bedell shorty coming. I'll let you know what I think of it after I shoot her. If you're in the las vegas area, you're more than welcome to give her a go too.

Thanks. I really appreciate it!

I have a Bedell Shorty coming in a few weeks. I like to move fast which I hope means I can keep up with this gun.

Jasmap, like you I went back and forth over the options and hope I chose well. I'm sure we can't go wrong, but I'll let you know soon!

I have a Bedell 5" and really like it.... I've shot a club members' shorty (not a Bedell) and it felt way different, almost violent. My 5" is pretty light (I think) at 44oz c-more and all.

I have a Bedell 5" and really like it.... I've shot a club members' shorty (not a Bedell) and it felt way different, almost violent. My 5" is pretty light (I think) at 44oz c-more and all.

I'd go with a 5" version - flatter and softer.