Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 308 powder available ... ?

S-Hurt

Reloading for semiauto rifles

C.E. Harris

Handloader Magazine

May-June 1989

PagesfromReloadingSemiautoRifles-b_zps3c

• Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm Special Ball, Long Range, MK 316 MOD 0 (United States): A 175-grain round specifically designed for long-range sniping consisting of Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail projectiles, Federal Cartridge Company match cartridge cases and Gold Medal Match primers. The Propellant has been verified as IMR 4064 (per NSN 1305-01-567-6944 and Federal Cartridge Company Contract/Order Number N0016408DJN28 and has a charge weight per the specs of 41.745-grain.

NOTE: The military ammunition below was loaded with RL15 powder "BUT" in the heat of Iraq and Afghanistan the ammunition proved to be inaccurate due chamber pressure changes with temperature. The newer MK 316 MOD 0 was developed with IMR-4064 a single base powder and is much more accurate. (IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 are the top choices) ;)

• Cartridge, Caliber 7.62mm, NATO, Ball, Special, M118LR (United States): 175-grain 7.62×51mm NATO Match-grade round specifically designed for long-range sniping. It uses a 175-grain Sierra Match King Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet. Produced at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. The propellant's noticeable muzzle flash and temperature sensitivity led to the development of the MK 316 MOD 0 for Special Operations use.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I like Varget for my Bolt gun, but I typically run H4895 in my Semi-Auto's. Varget popped up on Gunbot yesterday, it was through Cabela's, which is near the top of the price chain for powders right now. It sells out fast. I also saw some on the shelf at Sportsmans Wharehouse about a month ago, but they have turned into gougers lately and wanted $29.99 for a bottle, I had 3 on my shelf at home and didn't need it that bad, so I left it for the next guy. I haven't been shooting my .308 lately, so i'm willing to wait for 8lb jugs at good prices right now. One powder that has been available ALOT lately is IMR4064, Bimart has gotten in lots of small batches, Powder Valley and it pops up on gunbot at several other places, usually around $23 a 1lb bottle. IMR4064 should have been named IMR308 as it really shines for that caliber.

Nice post bigedp51!

Anyone tried Alliant 2000mr in .308?

Alliant markets it as a ball RE15, slightly slower with better pressure curve. I've shot it in .223 but not .308.

I have NOT tried MR2000 in .308. I think that it might be a little on the slow side and would think that it would work with heavy bullets in .308. I think that I read something about it being a little slow with lighter 175g and such bullets and you could not get the velocity you want. RL15 in .308 works fine but it is temperature sensitive, for 90% of shooters this does not matter and its over thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you have found some powder to start loading. There are lots of powders that are going to work in the .308 with mid bullet ranges. Provided you can find them, it only gets a little more tricky if you are starting to load lighter then 150g bullets like 125s or heavy bullets in the 180g+ range. I tried some 125g bullets in a 24" bolt gun with 4895 and it is on the slow side, it works but its really a little too slow. In .308 I have used several powders with great success including N135 with 155 2155 palma's bullets but I mostly shoot Varget with 155 Lapuas now. I plan on switching to H4895 as it should be a little more consistent but I cant find any at this point. In most guns you need to seat the 2155 or 2156's (old and new 155 SMKs) close to the lands and they usually don't take a jump well but there have been good results with them in SOME magazine fed guns; I would try a small box of 155s before buying any more. I think that its been said but ill say it again, 168 and 175 SMKs should be very easy to get to shoot well in almost any rifle. You are starting with a 16" barrel so you are going to loose some velocity so keep that in mind too.

I tryed 1 pound of the 2000 MR few years ago when it first came out in the 308 pushing the 175 SMK it gave me good speed good accuracy and meter in the CM like water but I went back to Varget because back then I have a lot of it. Also you cannot beat Varget for the 308 and the 175 SMK.

Now no Varget around i am runing low on my supply I might look in to it agian or the IMR 4064

I have NOT tried MR2000 in .308. I think that it might be a little on the slow side and would think that it would work with heavy bullets in .308. I think that I read something about it being a little slow with lighter 175g and such bullets and you could not get the velocity you want. RL15 in .308 works fine but it is temperature sensitive, for 90% of shooters this does not matter and its over thought.

I picked up an 8# jug of PP2000MR to try out, as it's a flattened spherical powder and meters nicely, while I'm trying to see 'how far I can get' in progressive loading of ammo to 1K from a bolt gun.

I did some OCW load workups recently and it worked well with what seems to be a fairly wide accuracy node, but - my Caldwell chrono (which was recently replaced after a buddy shot the prior one) apparently has a sensor sensitivity issue (gets false readings on non-overcast days), so sadly, no velocity readings yet.

Somewhere I recall reading it was purposely designed for SMK175s, and looking at it's burn rate, I think you're right in that it's probably best for 168gr on up, not sure I'd bother with it for lighter - while there is some .223 load data for it, I believe that starts at 69gr and upwards, as well.

Hopefully will get some actual chrono data as I go into the next round of OCW tests with it w/175gr BTHPs..

Note the charge weights pretty much 'prove' it's slowness - looks like the accuracy node for me is ~46gr+, using LC brass...vs 40-42gr for 8208XBR.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up an 8# jug of PP2000MR to try out, as it's a flattened spherical powder and meters nicely, while I'm trying to see 'how far I can get' in progressive loading of ammo to 1K from a bolt gun.

I did some OCW load workups recently and it worked well with what seems to be a fairly wide accuracy node, but - my Caldwell chrono (which was recently replaced after a buddy shot the prior one) apparently has a sensor sensitivity issue (gets false readings on non-overcast days), so sadly, no velocity readings yet.

Somewhere I recall reading it was purposely designed for SMK175s, and looking at it's burn rate, I think you're right in that it's probably best for 168gr on up, not sure I'd bother with it for lighter - while there is some .223 load data for it, I believe that starts at 69gr and upwards, as well.

Hopefully will get some actual chrono data as I go into the next round of OCW tests with it w/175gr BTHPs..

Note the charge weights pretty much 'prove' it's slowness - looks like the accuracy node for me is ~46gr+, using LC brass...vs 40-42gr for 8208XBR.

I am looking forward to your results with this powder. There does not appear to be a great deal of data out yet. I also found an 8# jug and have used it so far with 77gr .223. SD was low and I found the best accuracy node right around the recipe for that bullet weight published on alliant's web site.

I am looking forward to your results with this powder. There does not appear to be a great deal of data out yet. I also found an 8# jug and have used it so far with 77gr .223. SD was low and I found the best accuracy node right around the recipe for that bullet weight published on alliant's web site.

Second round of OCW testing, this time w/chrono, will be loading up another batch between 46.2-46.4gr PP 2000MR with RMR SMK 175gr BTHP 'clones', 2508FPS avg, SD < 10, out of my 20" 1:10" twist barrel (bolt gun)...which will reach out to 1K at my elevation. Note - this is in LC brass, which is typically 1-1.5gr lower than in various other commercial brass for .308.

• 10 months later...

Yes, but I mostly switch from M1a which is a semi auto that favors slightly reduced loads, to my bolt gun that I tailor loads for. You can copy Federal Gold Medal Match loads and they will run fair in most any gun, but if you want cutting edge performance, every one of those guns will like something a little different.

bigedp51 beat me to it - he posted The Gospel of 1990's NRA Highpower recipes.

FWIW, the 39/3031 load made only 2500 in several of my Kriegers; IMR 4895 worked wonderfully from 39 grains (2350) to 41.5 grains (2550) and IMR 4064 will work well no matter what! All loads in LC Match brass, Win primers, 2.82" OAL.

During those years, there were only M1A's and 70/700 boltguns on the line, all in .308. Ammo was so standard that it could be traded among shooters and in DCM "Leg" matches, you had to shoot what was issued prior to the match!

Before retiring the manly gun for the Plastic Unmentionable, I settled on the then-new 175 Sierra for all yard lines, with IMR 4064. 42.3 grains for 200/300 and 43.5 grains for 600 - 1,000. The 43.5 load gave an honest 2600 in all my M1A's. IMR 3031 and 4064 meter about as well as Lincoln Logs, 4895 is better through the measure.

Probably more'n you wanted, but you asked!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by redial